ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Finally perfected my download commenter after only 8 years

(1/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
I wanted to have a convenient way to add comments to files I downloaded.  Since 2001 I've messed around with various schemes revolving around a Property Page shell extension where you can type or paste in a comment for the file.  After only 8 years I think I have it the way I want it!!

TipOff

To make it easier to use the shell extension in Vista64 get Half Shell also.

(They are both fully functional donation-ware.  No nag screens.)

tomos:
sounds interesting, thanks! (nice to see a colourful site btw :))

MilesAhead:

Thank you very much.  I'm not artistic so my only hope is to keep it simple. :)

rjbull:
In the old days of DOS BBSs, most files came as archives containing a FILE_ID.DIZ.  You ran programs that would extract FILE_ID.DIZ and/or DESCRIPT.ION files, and compile them into an allfiles list.  Very useful idea; what a pity "progress" has destroyed it...

MilesAhead:
That sounds familiar. I got into the online thing just as the internet boom was starting but I did some BBS.  Seems I can remember what you are talking about. I mostly downloaded fractal programs and ray trace stuff that ran in Dos when I got my 486 PC.  :)

One habit I tried to develop using my commenter mechanism was to rename the download to something descriptive, then paste the original download filename as part of the comment. Sometimes you still get a search hit long after the utility has dropped off the freeware sites.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version