topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:42 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Postbox - a new Mozilla-based email client  (Read 27085 times)

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Postbox - a new Mozilla-based email client
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Postbox looks nice
thanks for the hint
hope that TB3 will takeover some of postbox features.  :Thmbsup:
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

In addition to sorting, Eudora has other simple features that make a changeover no-rush questionable.  

The main one for me is filters, which are quite strong, not so much the reg-ex and stuff like that, but the ability to make them quickly on-the-fly with distinctions for input mode and manual mode (output I don't care much about).  And to review them and find them and modify them. I use a dual-sorting method, the new mail usually goes to special interim spots, and when sorted for permanence the mail goes to another spot.  I likely will not go to another program on Windows unless it equals Eudora's filters in strength and imports them accurately, unless Eudora is hurt too much by a new OS.

Eudora is also pretty nice on searching.  And it is very stable, both in running as a program and in keeping the mail.  (Housekeeping is minimal, you try to keep mailboxes under about 30K email and you keep the memory boxes like In and Out and Trash smallish and compacted occasionally, which is simple.)

Security features are quite good, as is the way it handles things like attachments and embedded pictures. And composing HTML mail is very nice, I often use it as my work editor for other projects, since I also know I can find stuff quickly searching.

The account architecture is excellent for my use, although that varies from person to person and is approached differently in various clients.  

The TBird attempts did not cut it so far.  I have on occasion also looked at The Bat! and maybe Becky and some others.  Good programs all, yet each one has its pecularities and drawbacks, maybe a proprietary format or program glitches or weak HTML composing or viewing. Or mediocre filters.  Or this .. or that.

Now granted the original Eudora is not going anywhere, it is finito, and those of us who use it would not mind seeing a new strong alternative (sort of like Linkman to Powermarks) but we know there are a lot of pretenders and a lot of good programs that give you trade-offs.  So we wait.

Oh, the support forums are still very good.  Qualcomm was never very involved in them anyway, and they took the program to stability and then left. (I don't blame them, the pseudo-free Outlook competition was one element.  They are a biggish company with a lot of ups and downs and the revenue model and stream was so-so.)  Personally, while the critics love to harangue at Eudora (e.g. you can't set up windows hither and thither with a super multi-tasking look, although the program multi-tasks fine in its limited way) I think still today, a year or two after the stopping of development, it is in many ways the standard for email clients.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 08:09 PM by Steven Avery »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 09:51 PM »
I've got nothing against Eudora. I used it for a long time, but stopped right after 4.0 and I moved on to PMMail 2000 for a long time. Looking back I must have really been odd...first I was using Eudora (a Mac program ported to the PC) and then moved to PMMail 2000 (an OS/2 program ported to the PC).

The secret to finding the best email program is you have to find one that works the way you do and has the same workflow reading/sorting/deleting mail you do.

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 10:32 AM »
40hz seems to have been on the right track.

Something about the way they're doing this (Win/Mac only and no export capabilities) makes me think they're planning to go to a fully proprietary product as soon as they get the bugs worked out. I'm guessing they intend to wed this puppy (as a client) to a closed fee-only online service as quickly as possible.

In their Beta 14 update today, they announce the ability to add the Lightning calendar and the opening of their online store. Beta users can buy a discounted version now ($30 now - regularly $40) and can buy a "Family Pack" for an additional fee ($10 now - regularly $20) to allow use on other computers in your household. They also have a "Lifetime Upgrade" option ($20 now - regularly $25) that they say will give you all future major upgrades.

On their blog they make this announcement

Our first product, Postbox 1.0, will be a fully-featured, advertisement-free, premium version of Postbox that will be made available for sale from our online store.

Does this suggest they will eventually offer other versions that may be free, but with advertising and fewer features?

I've been trying out Postbox in parallel with my other email client, and I've liked it pretty well, but I'm not sure it's good enough for me to pay $30 ($50 if you want the lifetime updates) to switch from my free client.

We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 10:42 AM »
May I suggest Inscribe