topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Crazy brits crossing railroads  (Read 11721 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Crazy brits crossing railroads
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:50 PM »
Geeez, people!

One thing is crossing railroad tracks when the bars are down, but this is outright insane. The video has Danish speak (if anybody knows the original source, please link) but I'm sure you'll live - the interesting stuff is the video, anyway.

shot-2009-02-10@23.48.00.png
- carpe noctem

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Crazy brits crossing railroads
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:27 PM »
"crazy" is too nice a word. i think "retarded" would be more appropriate. i'm british, i wish i wasn't when i see this kind of behaviour.

ps. the website above was caught by my avira antvir immediately on opening the page - it blocked some .swf thing.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 10:54 PM »
That guy lost his shoe! :o

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:48 AM »
Holy smokes!

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 04:08 AM »
Yeah I seen it on bbc news there must be a clip.. Was related to the following article (has a differen bit of video for the web though)
Cases of motorists taking dangerous and illegal risks at level crossings in Wales are at a five-year high.

Network Rail said there were 400 incidents at level crossings and nearly 30 near misses, where trains narrowly avoided hitting motorists, in 2008.

The company is calling for changes so that tougher sentences can be handed out to offenders.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:11 AM by justice »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 06:58 AM »
it also happens here quite frequently leaving the authorities at a loss of what to do.. :huh:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:11 AM »
it also happens here quite frequently leaving the authorities at a loss of what to do.. :huh:

having a large cannon at the front of the train to fire at any of the idiots obstructing the line. give the cannon a decent firing range so the train driver has a good chance of hitting these morons.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:39 AM »
having a large cannon at the front of the train to fire at any of the idiots obstructing the line. give the cannon a decent firing range so the train driver has a good chance of hitting these morons.

sounds like one for Codex Transportica ;)
Tom

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:37 AM »
oh, i'm sure it's in there somewhere, tomos.  ;)

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 12:59 PM »
Death Rail 2000! :Thmbsup:
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 02:05 PM »

Don't do anything. We have the Darwin awards for a reason. ;)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 09:15 AM »
Hahaha, I saw the first one yesterday, but for unknown reasons it was at a low resolution, and cropped to only show the rails. Anyway, while I shake my head looking at so much retardness abound in the video, I can't help but laugh out loud at the narrow escapes, I mean, this is stuff worth of experienced stunts at action movies.

BTW, is people really so late for work to risk their lives in front of a train? ;D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 10:34 AM »
BTW, is people really so late for work to risk their lives in front of a train?

could be wrong but i think these people don't even understand that the barrier is there for their own safety, i.e. idiots that missed that crucial bit of safety imformation because they were too busy avoiding school, etc.

they just assume it's there for decoration. surely, if they knew a train was about to pass by they'd not be attempting to cross the tracks. i don't know, maybe they are all on drugs or drunk - probably both if they are typical naughty UK teenagers.

or maybe they are just morons of the highest order.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 11:53 AM »
maybe they are all on drugs
I think you hit the nail on the head.
They must be mainlining!              ;)

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 01:19 PM »
Nothing new for me to see*. Really: if someone is willing to commit suicide why should I be worried? The only situation I might care is mother with child because kid in not in fault.

*) I had job located 30 minutes from my home by walk, with railroads crossing somewhere in the middle. Such "shows" were seen daily. once I saw "comic" situation: 8 year old (?) boy shouting to his daddy to not cross the rail.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 07:10 PM »
The guy who lost his shoe was crossing the rails more casually than I usually cross the street!

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 03:05 AM »
I know one girl who died from something like this.  Except in her case there was two trains and no guard rails.  She was waiting on her bicicle for the train to pass and when it finished she started to cross.  Just then a second train came the other way on the other tracks, shielded from her view by the train she waited for.  Needless to say it was not open casket...

With thoughts like this, it amazes me that people just casually and intentionally ignore the safety signs available like that!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 11:19 AM »
interview with the man in the video and reason for crossing the barriers "i was late for work".

here's the article at the mail on sunday site: http://www.mailonsun...king-tale-video.html

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 12:22 PM »
Wow, my assumption was right. Still, I don't understand his explanation:

I didn't really look because normally when you wait for the trains to come past, they wouldn't come for two or three minutes, so I thought I had my chance to get across.

For the looks of it, the railways goes straight, and unless there was a serious curve a bit before the barriers, you can clearly see the train coming if you look at the right.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 12:36 PM »
that is part of the problem. on the video it appears that he doesn't bother to look right until he's on the lines with the train a few feet away.

ps.

here's the avira warning i get when visiting the page that the video is on...

snap047.jpg

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 01:37 PM »
For the looks of it, the railways goes straight, and unless there was a serious curve a bit before the barriers, you can clearly see the train coming if you look at the right.

but he obviously didnt look and you dont actually hear the train until it quite close - especially if it's going fast - and if there's a breeze going in the opposite direction you've even less chance of hearing it.
With peripheral vision you see mostly movement and because the train is coming directly towards there's actually very little actual visible movement

I know all this cause I went out in front of a train once :-[ but nothing as bad as that guy, it was maybe 20-30m away as I actually crossed the tracks (an official crossing with no barriers) BUT I didnt notice it until I was actually stepping onto the tracks at which point I can tell you I speeded up a bit!
Tom

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 03:01 PM »
but he obviously didnt look and you dont actually hear the train until it quite close - especially if it's going fast - and if there's a breeze going in the opposite direction you've even less chance of hearing it.
With peripheral vision you see mostly movement and because the train is coming directly towards there's actually very little actual visible movement

Sure, but my point was how can anyone cross a railway with the barriers down, without even bothering to look around just because he assumed he would have enough time. Perhaps he thought looking left and right only applies to crossing the road? ;D

I know all this cause I went out in front of a train once :-[ but nothing as bad as that guy, it was maybe 20-30m away as I actually crossed the tracks (an official crossing with no barriers) BUT I didnt notice it until I was actually stepping onto the tracks at which point I can tell you I speeded up a bit!

Exactly! There's a railroad near my home, which I sometimes cross even if the barriers are down (the cars have to wait behind them, but people can cross anytime as there's a separate section for them without barriers), and I look left and right and left and right again... a train is a train, and I do that even if the barriers are up.