ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

diff for RTF files, please?

(1/2) > >>

rjbull:
Is there a program, preferably free, that "diffs" RTF files, please?  Both ExamDiff Pro and Total Commander's built-in diff utility show the formatting instructions as well as text.  I'd like something that ignores the formatting stuff and just shows the differences in the text proper.   Component Software's CSDiff does it in a way, but I don't like the way it displays results, and it seems to put them in a Word doc which has to be read by Word.

Thanks...

justice:

Beyond Compare 3, but not free.

rjbull:
I was afraid someone would say Beyond Compare...  seeing I'm already a registered user of ExamDiff Pro   :'(   Have to wait for another DC discount   ;)

I've asked in the ExamDiff forum as well.

Thanks!

fenixproductions:
2rjbull
WinMerge on my machine works well with RTF files thanks to xdocdiff plugin.

rjbull:
The author of ExamDiff Pro answered in the forum, suggesting using the catdoc plug-in.  This is what worked for me:

--- ---Name:           Rich Text Format [installed]
Extensions:     rtf
Application:    cmd /c C:\junk\EXAMDI~1\Plug-Ins\catdoc\catdoc.exe
Arguments:      $INPUTFILEPATH_SHORT

Original author of catdoc is Vitus Wagner but his page only has Unix and DOS versions: Free Software Directory page is here.  I suspect I had to use SFNs because catdoc doesn't support LFNs.

@fenixproductions:  I vaguely knew about WinMerge, but found this:

WinMerge is decent, but go with pretty much any of the others instead of it.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version