ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Scan computer for foreign language files

(1/5) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
OK, here is a task that I hope someone can take on:

I need a program, somewhat like how DelEmpty works, for finding non-EN-US (changeable, for others) language files (INI, XML, etc) and listing them for review and one-click deletion. Is it possible to do this? If so, would there be any risks or drawbacks (other than not being able to switch from US English (or <your_language_here>)?

Any takers?

f0dder:
1) it'd be very hard to detect this (reliably, anyway)
2) there's a big chance of breaking stuff
3) disk space savings would be extremely small

wreckedcarzz:
Its more or less just something that bugs me - I don't see why installers ask you for the Language you want just to go and install them all anyways. It's just those stupid files that you never use kind of thing. But yea, I didn't figure it was doable (at least, in any simple manner).

f0dder:
Well, it does have the "advantage" that if you suddenly one morning wake up and feel French (DOYC forbid!), you'd be able to switch your installed programs over :P

I know where you're coming from wrt. not liking unnecessary crud being installed, I used to be pretty nazi about that (up to and including Win98 SE I knew what every single file on my harddrive was used for... with Win2k I knew about most of it... With the introduction of XP I had a rough idea... and now I pretty much have given up and don't care :)).

Anyway, language files/resources are usually pretty tiny, so I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest I've seen is "closecaption_french.txt" from Left4Dead, which is ~3MB.

dtsouers:
The space saving is the not that great, unless your are counting windows system files which there are usually distributed in multiple languages (see windows\winsxs and windows\software distribution)
On the otherhand SSD's benefit greatly from having less entries in the allocation tables. If you sync that folder, is also runs much quicker.

I wrote a small utility that does this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version