ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (1049/1232) > >>

IainB:
iain, that is disturbing but i dont think it really falls into the humor category of this thread.
-mouser (February 26, 2017, 11:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

@mouser: The post about the newly-religious would-be slave-owner you mean?

Sorry, I thought it was hilarious, but harmless, and certainly not "disturbing". Made me guffaw when I read it, anyway, but then I'm British and have a typically British sense of humour.
Some people (not me, you understand) might say that maybe the UK Daily Mail shouldn't have the freedom to be reporting such stuff, but I couldn't possibly comment.

The case reported is/was apparently ongoing, or so I gather from the news item, and Kabele was charged with preparing acts of terrorism by trying to get to Syria, or something, but denied it.
It's not as thought the bloke had actually already committed any heinous crime either, but the motivation and intent as reported seemed to have been amusingly quite apparent. To paraphrase Yoda (Star Wars) "The stupid is strong in that one.".

This is a good example of truth being sometimes stranger than fiction and this one would probably be hard to make up, but it is still a hoot nonetheless - and the Brits, who have pretty strong spines and which helped them to survive and come up smiling despite having gone through the adversity and horror of 2 world wars, would be the first to find and appreciate the inherent humour and irony of this situation and would probably find little that would be "disturbing" about it. It is reality, after all.

The Brits even made a rather amusing comedy film about 4 similarly grossly inept British jihadists who ended up accidentally blowing themselves (no-one else) to bits, or something - Four Lions (2010). It's quite a good film. Note that this was after the 7 July 2005 jihadist London transport bombings and the 2007 London Metro Transport jihadist bombings and the associated 2007 jihadist Glasgow International Airport attack. A lot of the British humour about those incidents and also WW2 (e.g., including the TV series "Dad's Army", "Allo, Allo") is/was arguably not only good humour but also a very healthy coping response to adversity, whether it was due to attack from without, or attack from within.

Humour is also a valuable counter-indoctrination mechanism for injecting some sense and light into a culture that otherwise, if left alone, might sometimes quietly indoctrinate its youth towards/into religious extremism. The UK BBC recently aired a new comedy sketch (Real Housewives of ISIS) about Muslim families whose ignorant youth blithely go off to aid the Jihad in Syria, or wherever. Mercilessly takes the piss. Such proggies would seem to be a very good idea for all the above reasons, and especially as they could potentially make the ignorant think twice before taking a potentially disastrous course of action that could literally ruin their young lives.

If you were possibly suggesting that one should not, or is somehow not allowed to find and point out or publish the humour of the truth in, or ridicule such stupid events as the above, then I don't know how else I can help you. However, don't let that stop you from doing whatever you think you need to, as Admin.

Notwithstanding, one of the guiding Judeo-Christian principles of life that my mother taught me was:
"There is a common saying amongst vs, Say the truthe and shame the diuel."
 - This was as recorded by the preacher Hugh Latimer as being a 'common saying' in as early as 1555, in his Twenty Seven Sermons.

--- End quote ---

Another principle that I was taught and that is probably obliquely relevant to quite a bit of what I have written here, is:
"There are eight rungs in charity. The highest is when you help a man to help himself."
 - (Maimonides)

--- End quote ---

IainB:
By the way, I did not mean to criticise other cultures, or imply, in anything I wrote above, that there is anything at all culturally illegitimate in buying, or that one mustn't go out and buy a 9-year old slave girl - if that were (say) a perfectly acceptable/recommended or corruptible custom and all legal (superficially, at least) and above board in one's preferred culture/society.

I mean, whatever floats your boat, man. "Vive la différence!", as they say.
I'm all for the cultural enrichment that such cultures may be able to bring to Western culture - which latter, let's face it, could probably sometimes seem pretty bleak to some people and in need of such enrichment.

What I don't really recommend - and some might consider this to be a bit harsh and judgemental, I know - is where people from one culture "A" might deliberately go into another culture "B" to take advantage of or victimise others by committing acts which one knows would be illegal under the prevailing laws or law enforcement in culture "A", but that one knows one can get away with as being more or less legal or acceptable/corruptible under the prevailing laws or law enforcement in culture "B". Some places are more laissez-faire than others, after all.

However, some may find that the trouble with maintaining such a philosophical position is that it usually requires an implicit and unsubstantiated assumption that culture "A" is in some manner morally superior to and more virtuous than a supposedly benighted culture "B", which is arguably a racist stance and thus potentially morally indefensible from a liberal perspective, thus leading sometimes to the compromise proposal of inverse cultural absorption, where culture "A" must acculturate to and be subsumed by culture "B".

What to do? Tricky.   :tellme:

Curt:
Thread's title: "silly humor". But morbidity is not humour! As silly as it may be, to be morbid, it is not humour - not even silly humor.

holt:
Roxie, a paralyzed baby rat

Roxie the Rat's Story & Update

Deozaan:
Roxie, a paralyzed baby rat

Roxie the Rat's Story & Update
-holt (February 27, 2017, 11:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

The rest of the (not silly or humorous) story:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page