ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (894/1232) > >>

MilesAhead:
I'm not sure I'd trust the salt to make it that unreadable...and hammering the outside casing only warps the platters a bit. So for a low tech destruction on a drive that can't be electronically burned (or shot...), I go with disassembly, fold the platters in half by hand (surprisingly not that hard), and then hammer a sharp crease in the folded platter.
-Stoic Joker (May 02, 2015, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Then to securely quarantine the bits and pieces, put them in a shoulder bag.  Carry the bag on the MetroMover on Saturday Night in Miami.  It's better than incinerated at Cheyenne Mountain.  ;)

Renegade:
I'm not sure I'd trust the salt to make it that unreadable...and hammering the outside casing only warps the platters a bit. So for a low tech destruction on a drive that can't be electronically burned (or shot...), I go with disassembly, fold the platters in half by hand (surprisingly not that hard), and then hammer a sharp crease in the folded platter.
--- End quote ---

It's certainly not the best way, but entertaining. :)

The salt is just to increase electrical conductivity and help corrode it over time. They're at the bottom of a large garbage bin.

A few of them really did cave in nicely though. Not as deep as the shotgun blast though.

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

It's certainly not the best way, but entertaining. :) -Renegade (May 02, 2015, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Entertainment and catharsis are important, yes.

The salt is just to increase electrical conductivity and help corrode it over time. They're at the bottom of a large garbage bin.-Renegade (May 02, 2015, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

...But this part was really more of a question. Like, for someone with professional data recovery equipment (and a 3 letter name..). What impact would the corrosion really have on the readability of the platters? I'd almost swear I'd seen it done on a DR companies promotional video somewhere.

A few of them really did cave in nicely though. Not as deep as the shotgun blast though.-Renegade (May 02, 2015, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here again it's a question of professional DR folk being able to straighten the platter if the metal hasn't been deformed (as in silly putty level stretched) enough to alter the alignment.

Hell, even with the shotgun blowing a quarter sized hole in the platter (blue shirt visible through drive in blown up photo), TBH I'm not entirely sure pros couldn't glean something useful off the remaining (arguably) pristine section of the disk ... Because DR is nowhere near the center of my skillset.

wraith808:
The hammer is to get holes in the drive to let the salt-water in.  I would have used some sort of awl... but it seemed to work pretty good.

Renegade:
...But this part was really more of a question. Like, for someone with professional data recovery equipment (and a 3 letter name..). What impact would the corrosion really have on the readability of the platters? I'd almost swear I'd seen it done on a DR companies promotional video somewhere.

A few of them really did cave in nicely though. Not as deep as the shotgun blast though.-Renegade (May 02, 2015, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here again it's a question of professional DR folk being able to straighten the platter if the metal hasn't been deformed (as in silly putty level stretched) enough to alter the alignment.

Hell, even with the shotgun blowing a quarter sized hole in the platter (blue shirt visible through drive in blown up photo), TBH I'm not entirely sure pros couldn't glean something useful off the remaining (arguably) pristine section of the disk ... Because DR is nowhere near the center of my skillset.
-Stoic Joker (May 03, 2015, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm... given that... I do still have a few drives that I was going to give to 4wd, but he lives a ways away from here, and probably won't be able to make it over before we leave... so... NEW IDEA~! 8)

Back once I have evidence... ;)

The hammer is to get holes in the drive to let the salt-water in.  I would have used some sort of awl... but it seemed to work pretty good.
-wraith808 (May 03, 2015, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

The hammer seemed more violent and entertaining. :D Next up may be more fun... we'll see though.

EDIT: Drat. Looks like they have those hex-star screws that I don't have a driver for. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version