ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (824/1232) > >>

crabby3:
almost lunchtime   :)

Stoic Joker:
Eh... I think it depends on context.  And along those lines, silly humor from tosh.0

http://tosh.cc.com/video-clips/erckcq/is-it-racist----slurs

Low Quality version from youtube..-wraith808 (January 15, 2015, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting experiment that is ... I think it speaks volumes about the current hyper-reactive -(PC)- trend our society has devolved into of looking for things to be offended by. Sure intent unknown some things might - by inflection - sound insulting...but racist?? No. Racist/sexist/elitist/whatever are all patterns of behavior, not terms or phrases.

Renegade:
How can you tell the sex of an ant?

Throw it in some water. Girls sink. And

if it floats...it's boyant.

IainB:
I have added a ringed image below the invisible cat picture above, so that you can spot the tabby cat there.
The image of the cat is not the clearest, but it is more easily seen with a magnifying glass (as opposed to digitally enlarging it). Sharpening it also helps, but that also distorts some of the image.
@crabby3: You must have copied and saved the image, resulting in some lossiness, so you can barely discern the cat in the lossy image.

IainB:
Eh... I think it depends on context.  And along those lines, silly humor from tosh.0
http://tosh.cc.com/video-clips/erckcq/is-it-racist----slurs
Low Quality version from youtube..
-wraith808 (January 15, 2015, 08:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting experiment that is ... I think it speaks volumes about the current hyper-reactive -(PC)- trend our society has devolved into of looking for things to be offended by. Sure intent unknown some things might - by inflection - sound insulting...but racist?? No. Racist/sexist/elitist/whatever are all patterns of behavior, not terms or phrases.
-Stoic Joker (January 16, 2015, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, perception and political correctness. I think you could try to define these things as being "patterns of behaviour", but I'm not sure that psychologists would necessarily be able to agree with that without at least some better definition. The problem is that, in usage, such terms often seem to be merely clichéd ad hominem attacks - simplistic and pejorative labels which appear to be intended to force other people to maintain the labeller's paradigm or cognitive bias - i.e., it becomes mandatory that the thing being labelled be perceived in that light. If one does not perceive the thing in the "correct" light, then one is punished by the pejorative label being applied to oneself, either directly or by implication - e.g., "If you can't see that that is a racist thing to do/say, then you must be a racist also" (which is a non-sequitur). This would seem to be irrational.

This reminded me of the following - seems a reasonably concise/accurate definition of "political correctness":
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
(Texas A&M website)

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version