ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (748/1232) > >>

IainB:
Hay, now that's a cool story.. :Thmbsup: Here in the states we would call that a sleeper - It doesn't look like much, until the light turns green...and then it's too late. I'm a huge fan of Sleepers. ;)
-Stoic Joker (November 03, 2014, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
"Sleeper"? I'd not heard that term before. Yes, in UK it's called a "Q-car". Here it is:

A bit dusty in the garage:               Polished up for sale in the showroom:

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]                           silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

It was great fun. I was once driving the MG in light traffic in the 2nd lane on a motorway, from Stansted into London, and I saw a Porsche moving rapidly up in the overtaking (3rd) lane behind me. I waited for it to pass me and then pulled out and followed. It was a 911S driven by a bloke. He was clocking about 100mph. As I closed the distance he must have noticed, and, as I had expected he accelerated. We got up to speeds of 130/140mph when we could, as he tried to lose me, but couldn't. The Costello (that's the correct name of the V8 conversion I was driving, named after the engineer who designed/installed it) was pretty much flat out in top overdrive at that speed, and I guess the Porsche was too 'cause he couldn't widen the gap even when we had the road to do it in.
Eventually we came into heavier traffic and had to slow down. At one point, I pulled up on his left at a traffic lights, and he wound down his passenger side window. My window was open  and I called out "Nice drive! Thanks!" and he asked "Have you had the engine modified?" and I replied, "No! Just richer needle jets in the standard twin SU carbs!" (Well, it was a daft question, wasn't it?)
The lights turned green at that point and we moved on. I liked to imagine him taking his Porsche back to the dealer and complaining indignantly to them that there must be something wrong with his car because he couldn't blow off a cruddy MGB Roadster with rich SU jets.  
I recall that trip knocked at least 50% off my usual drive time for that route. I was buzzing with adrenalin for an hour or so afterwards.  

(Sorry for boring the pants off non-petrol-heads with all this irrelevant chitchat.)

IainB:
^^ A friend of mine had a gearhead father who frankensteined a Wankel Rotary into a '65 VW Beetle.  Talk about insane power-to-weight ratio...

He doesn't have it anymore.  360'd around a turn on a mountain road and almost went over, except for the large rock that simultaneously stopped his descent and wiped out the rear 1/4 of the car.  Too bad...
-Edvard (November 03, 2014, 08:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
In a Beetle? Sounds like a seriously good conversion. The Wankels were superb engines. A mate of mine in the UK had an old Audi station wagon with 5 cyls whose engine blew up, so he replaced it with a much cheaper rebuilt Wankel rotary engine. It was a very smooth car to drive, well balanced and pretty quick. Much better than the original.

Renegade:
Is anyone else having a hard time imagining IainB as a demon driver?  :-[

barney:
-Renegade (November 04, 2014, 01:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, verily  :P :-* :P.

app103:
-Renegade (November 04, 2014, 01:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

When I was a child, I witnessed my father turn into a demon driver. His eyes got big, he had this scary clenched jaw smile, his shoulders went up, and his head jutted forward, as he turned his head towards my stepmother in the passenger seat and shouted out in the creepiest voice I have ever heard, "I've got the right of way! The road's all mine!"

After witnessing that I will believe anyone can turn into a demon driver.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version