ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (744/1232) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Hunh.  That wasn't what we thought when we heard it (we being my "mates" and I).
To us, "pissing," coupled with some reference of time, followed by "away" meant wasting time.  Thus, "pissing the night away" meant we'd spent the time regretfully doing nothing of value.
-AzureToad (November 01, 2014, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm with AzureToad on this one - the "ing" form is far different than the "ed" form.

I'll also suggest there's a lot of drinking involved, because that's known to make you ______ a lot! But that also tends to be what most generic parties involve, aka having a good time mixed with potables, so it could be a triple word play that they were partying, and having a superficial good time (except maybe for the 9th beer!), but ultimately squandering deeper things of life.

Deozaan:
In the US, they were a one-hit-wonder, with this song, introducing Americans to the phrase "pissing the night away", which we mistakenly thought meant something else.
-app103 (October 31, 2014, 10:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Curious. What did people think it meant when they first heard it?
-IainB (November 01, 2014, 01:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

When I and my friends first heard it, we thought the woman was saying "kissing the night away" but when it was pointed out that it was saying the other words, it didn't make sense and it had to be taken literally: as in "urinating all night long" which still didn't make sense, but that's what she was saying.

IainB:
Brit. vernacular:
On the piss = heavy drinking (usually beer, which makes you pee a lot).
Getting pissed = getting drunk.
Pissed drunk - utterly drunk/wasted.
Pissed off = annoyed about something.
Pissing the night away = regular boozing/alcohol abuse.

The song seems to be about the booze culture of Brit. youth and how they seem to have been conditioned to waste their lives boozing in bars most of their spare time, brain numbed and poorer for it. Yet behind it all, they may still have an indomitable spirit and a kind of aggression. Futile existence.
Sadly, a lot of NZ youth seem to follow a similar pattern.

4wd:
pissed = angry
pissing = urinating-crabby3 (November 01, 2014, 08:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here's it's all about context and/or inflection.

pissed = drunk, annoyed, angry
pissing = urinating, getting annoyed, getting drunk, wasting time
mate = pretty much anybody (generally males though), friend, not friend

TaoPhoenix:

Where was that awesome rant about Daylight savings time and programming, where the final answer was "just use the open source subroutine and don't mess with it"?

I ran into this in a big way today getting ready for a live podcast!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version