ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (712/1232) > >>

IainB:
IainB - I think what mouser and Deozaan are saying is that it would be better if religious and political humor that could be considered offensive by our members was kept out of this thread. (We have the Basement for that)
I don't see a problem with light-hearted "religious" humor, though, such as the following:
-app103 (September 25, 2014, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

@app103: Thankyou, your opinions are always of interest, I'm sure. However, in this case I was merely responding to what was quoted (as above) and did not really need a third party to helpfully attempt an interpretation of what was written, nor was I inviting argument or debate, but merely pointing out and substantiating the conclusion which I led up to in the final paragraph, and which thus stands on its own two feet without my having to substantiate it further.

If @mouser or one of his forum mediators had simply gone [snip] with the comment, or maybe (say) asked me to delete it - because they didn't like it, for whatever good reason - then that probably would have been fine by me. It is @mouser's forum, after all.
However, if they instead leave the blessed thing there and then start to criticise and/or label me in pejorative fashion for their false assumptions/perceptions (QED) - for example, that I had (say) made a "thinly veiled religious/political insult" - then I would feel obliged to point out what I did, in my own defence.
I cannot passively stand by and accept that people may project their own ignorance or false perceptions onto me and as a result they then feel this justifies them making false/inaccurate written statements or accusations about me or my actions, in public - and this is a public forum.

Regarding the joke you tell above: I am very familiar with that joke, and it is not in my vast database of jokes simply because it does not get past my filter, viz: I don't blindly save in my database every joke I come across, but only the ones that make me smile or laugh, and that aren't too cruel to the butt of the joke, and that aren't too extreme (e.g. racism, sexism).

I am sorry to have to tell you that the joke you tell is an old (I think I was 13 when I first heard it), childishly simplistic and stupid joke, making a ridiculous sexual allusion about the practitioners (a nun and a priest) of the RC faith and whose faith forbids such sexual activity, and deliberately misinterpreting a scripture. I refuse to make that sort of fun of such people or deliberately misinterpret a scripture so as to ridicule a faith or a scripture. Perhaps if it were told in a self-effacing way by (say) an RC priest, I could find it funny, though a little strange. Otherwise, I'd leave telling that sort of thing, for example, to (say) religious people who might do it to hide their embarrassment about the strength of their own religion or religious conviction, or to (say) the more moronic practitioners of another religion - Atheism - who always seem to delight in mocking other religions with similarly stupid jokes.

Even if it might make a valid point, I do not like to poke stupid fun devoid of any irony, or that makes vicious criticism/derision, at any religion, nor do I encourage other people to do so - e.g., the so-called "art" of the Madonna in a Condom, or the Piss Christ.

The joke I gave a link to has just the right pattern: though we can see that it is not entirely rational, it is cute (clever), simple, ironically oh-so-true, and descriptive of the elephant in the room - which all goes towards making it qualify as good for a decent belly laugh.
I could, for example, (say) have linked to a joke about RC priests sodomising choir boys, or something, but I wouldn't, because that just would not have carried the irony of being true as a rule, since  - though we all know it goes on as a deviation/exception - there is definitely no RC law/rule permitting that behaviour.

Renegade:
This movie trailer is just toooooo funny! ;D

tomos:
Well, I have a much better understanding of where you're coming from Iain, after your last post.

FWIW (possibly because I was brought up Catholic - and haven't heard it before) I find App's joke very entertaining, but sadly also inappropriate for dc.

@IainB, you responded to mouser's labeling of your post, but you did not respond to the general desire to keep religious (and political) topics out of this thread - and out of dc in general (exception basement). There was a general agreement to avoid political and religious topics in dc, so what I dont understand is this: why post something where it is not wanted?

Renegade:
I rather liked app's joke there and thought it was cute. :)

I also grew up with a lot of religious and racist humour that was simply hilarious. Anyone else ever watch The Dave Allen show? ;) That was great stuff!

So, cheers for Dave Allen!  :Thmbsup:

H°i°c~!°°°

But racist humour isn't all *that* bad.  :huh:

Ed McMahon
God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Winston Churchill
We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English.

Barry McCaffrey
When I get a very generous introduction like that I explain that I'm emotionally moved, but on the other hand I'm Irish and the Irish are very emotionally moved. My mother is Irish and she cries during beer commercials.

Irish Quote
When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to Heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven.

Irish Proverb
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbor. It makes you shoot at your landlord and it makes you miss him.

Alex Levine
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and fat.

Happy Hour in Newfoundland

A Newfie saw a sign at a restaurant.

It read...

Happy Hour Special:
Lobster Tail & Beer.
--- End quote ---

"Lard Tunderin Jaises!" he says to himself, "Me tree favourite things!"

One Wish

A young, Newfoundlander man was walking around a field in Newfoundland, when he came across an old well. He walked up to the well, just to get a look. He noticed an old looking bottle in the well bucket. He picked it up. And suddenly a genie appeared before him.

The genie said, "For freeing me, I will grant you one wish."

The young man said, "Ok. I wish that there was a bridge going from Newfoundland to the mainland, you know, like the P.E.I. one."

The genie said,"I am sorry, but I can't do that. That would be TOO much change. That would be ALMOST impossible. It would change too many peoples lives."

So the young man thought for a second, then said, "Ok, then. I am a proud Newfoundlander, and I am sick and tired of everyone making fun of Newfoundlanders. SO I wish that Newfound landers were as smart, or even smarter than ANYONE else in the world. Or at least smarter than any other Canadian."

The genie said, "So, do you want two lanes, or four?"

I had a non-stop supply of Newfie jokes when I was a kid because I had a lot of Newfie friends. ;)

My favourite Newfie joke has to be done in person, and really requires the proper situation, which of course involves snow... ;D

But I also love humour that dumps on nationalities. ;)

Q: Why does Celine Dion want to purchase the Montreal Canadiens?
A: Because she wants to ruin more than just music!
Q: What's the difference between an American and a Canadian?
A: A Canadian not only has a sense of humour, but can also spell it.
Q: What's the difference between Canada, Mexico and America?
A: America has nice neighbours.
Canada: Home of the largest French population never to surrender to Germany
Finally got my Canadian history exam results back.. I got an EH
In Canada the seasons are: Almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction.

http://au.askmen.com/top_10/entertainment/top-10-canadian-comebacks_10.html (more at the link with comebacks)

What's the difference between a dove and the Canadian Air Force? At least a dove can get off the ground.

Why did the Canadian cross the road? To get in the middle!

You know you're from Canada when you think sexy lingerie is tube socks and a flannel nightie with only eight buttons.

What is big and white and found in Vancouver? A lost polar bear.

In Canada there are two seasons: six months of winter and six months of poor snowmobiling.

I had a chance to meet the Canadian military. What a nice guy.

It's not about race, or sex, or religion -- it's about the attitudes towards them. Often this says more about the listener than the speaker, which may or may not be simply a thin skin or desire to feel victimised in order to feel special. Often it's about the speaker and malicious or hateful intent behind the joke, which isn't funny.

Source: Raised Irish Canadian Christian :P

"Racist" humour (etc.) can be a source of fun and enjoyment if it comes from the right place. (Or, some people just need a chill pill.)

TaoPhoenix:

(Faux indignation)

Oh yeah? Oh yeah?
Did you hear the joke about the fastest runner in the world?

Sorry, I can't tell you. It's racist.

:P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version