topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]  (Read 3662973 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]
« Reply #3125 on: June 14, 2014, 02:59 AM »
Nice to see that Dan McCall's parody T-shirts have been allowed by the establishment, though not without a fight, it seems.
I think they are rather clever and make their point well.
It’s OK to parody the NSA | Ars Technica
Man who beat NSA in T-shirt parody case wins against Ready for Hillary | Ars Technica

T-shirt - The NSA actually listens (2011).jpg

T-shirt - Im ready for oligarchy (for 2016) 2014.jpg

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3127 on: June 16, 2014, 04:54 PM »
^reminds me of a story I heard once, about an older couple who lived out of town. He had been in the British army and received a pension per post. His health wasn't great, and he wasn't seen much any more around town. The wife used lodge his checks in their joint bank account. One day she unexplainably ordered a large freezer (the story was being told by the local small supermarket owner - his freezer maintenance guy told him about the freezer purchase: small town you know...).
Anyways, to cut a long story short, the husband died about a year later. There happened to be an extended powercut on their road at the time...
Tom

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3128 on: June 16, 2014, 05:53 PM »
The q
^reminds me of a story I heard once, about an older couple who lived out of town. He had been in the British army and received a pension per post. His health wasn't great, and he wasn't seen much any more around town. The wife used lodge his checks in their joint bank account. One day she unexplainably ordered a large freezer (the story was being told by the local small supermarket owner - his freezer maintenance guy told him about the freezer purchase: small town you know...).
Anyways, to cut a long story short, the husband died about a year later. There happened to be an extended powercut on their road at the time...
The question is : did his widow bought meat during that year...
.merle1.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3129 on: June 17, 2014, 12:32 AM »
Nice to see that Dan McCall's parody T-shirts have been allowed by the establishment, though not without a fight, it seems.
I think they are rather clever and make their point well.
It’s OK to parody the NSA | Ars Technica
Man who beat NSA in T-shirt parody case wins against Ready for Hillary | Ars Technica

That NSA one is the only one I'd consider wearing. "Oligarchy" is too tame. It's been various oligarchies in different sectors for a hundred years.

But that NSA one, that's one fighting shirt! But will we hear stories about 81 of the 100 customers mysteriously experience problems!?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3131 on: June 18, 2014, 02:37 AM »

Nice!

I've remarked a few times that if one of the anonymous billionaires really wants to do some good for charity etc, they can be the silent bankroll partner for a good lawyer like this one. So it's not clear if that's the setup here, aka who can take on companies like Philip Morris cold, but part of all our grumpy bickering is there are far too few teams of good-guy lawyers for hire for the little guys.

It's a bit funny - lawyers aren't "with a party" like politicians tend to be. So just suppose as a thought experiment, imagine a team of *one hundred lawyers* (aka scary capacity) powered by about five of those 79 year old billionaires who have nothing to lose - that could change the world because all the two bit sharks know they can't just send a nasty letter and watch their charge roll over.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3132 on: June 18, 2014, 04:23 AM »
@TaoPhoenix: Well, the shirt is one thing - and it makes a pretty definite statement in its own right - but the "champion for the downtrodden" is a little different, because it is something that stems from the context of the American legal system and incentivisation to litigation, which itself is arguably a form of pestilence deliberately unleashed by the Americans.
Thus, to say "...that could change the world..." could arguably really be to say "that could rectify the gross injustices permitted and promulgated by the American legal-political system and inflicting Americans and often people from other nations alike."
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:52 AM by IainB, Reason: Minor corrections. »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3133 on: June 18, 2014, 08:44 AM »
@TaoPhoenix: Well, the shirt is one thing - and it makes a pretty definite statement in its own right - but the "champion for the downtrodden" is a little different, because it is something that stems from the context of the American legal system and incentivisation to litigation, which itself is arguably a form of pestilence deliberately unleashed by the Americans.
Thus, to say "...that could change the world..." could arguably really be to say "that could rectify the gross injustices permitted and promulgated by the American legal-political system and inflicting Americans and often people from other nations alike."

Hmm, okay, so maybe I slightly overstated the phrasing, but one cool new thing about the net is we're seeing stories about other countries' legal systems that would have been almost impossible to learn about before. I think I recall you're in New Zealand, right? Just maybe I might have known that a lot of movies are filmed there, but there's no way old time newspapers would have carried a story about anyone like Kim Dotcom and related ministerial problems over there. But with the "echo-ripple" effect of viral news, there's thirty or more big blogs, so once one finds a story, everyone else spins it and then it all builds up until any four of your favorites has the story.

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3134 on: June 18, 2014, 09:46 AM »

Italians and Germans:

0:11 Music
0:25 On holiday
0:51 Appointment at 12:00
1:19 A girl
1:36 A new road
1:57 Mother and sons
2:17 Fashion
2:31 State institutions
2:51 Garbage
3:17 Modern art
3:43 Beyond the national border
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3135 on: June 18, 2014, 09:57 AM »
@TaoPhoenix: Yes, ain't the Internet grand!? I too am learning a lot about the US and other countries - things that I probably would not have been permitted to learn if we were still in the absolute thrall of big media/MSM.
I am an exiled Pom and a paper Kiwi, having immigrated to NZ some years back. When I first came to NZ it was like going into a permanent news blackout on international affairs, as the media were (still are to a greater extent) so hopelessly naive and parochial. (There's a word for that, but I can't recall it just now). There also now seems to be almost a complete absence of good investigative journalism, whereas when I first came here there were at least some quite good examples of investigative journalism, but they all seemed to get shut down.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3136 on: June 19, 2014, 06:11 PM »
33 Painfully True Facts About Everyday Life

truth-facts-funny-graphs-wumo-33.jpgsilly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3137 on: June 19, 2014, 06:16 PM »
33 Painfully True Facts About Everyday Life
 (see attachment in previous post)

As someone who almost never types "LOL" because it feels dishonest, I thought this one was better:

truth-facts-funny-graphs-wumo-13.jpg

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3139 on: June 20, 2014, 09:19 AM »
The only serious black mark against the NHS was its poor record on keeping people alive.
- apparently written in all seriousness in a Guardian article praising the NHS: NHS is the world's best healthcare system, report says | Society | The Guardian

(Hat tip to Samizdata quote of the day « Samizdata)

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3140 on: June 21, 2014, 07:17 AM »
Estate inglese.jpg

(though I don't know if that image is still valid)
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3141 on: June 21, 2014, 02:40 PM »
@Giampy: Yes, British summers can often seem to be no more than just a fleeting memory, though sometimes - admittedly not often - they could be long and sultry.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3142 on: June 23, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Looking for a good, punchy and factual notebook review? Look no further than notebookreview.com.
Dell Inspiron 14 7000 Series Review
Quick Take
The Dell Inspiron 14 7000 series is a well-rounded machine that, while its value may suffer due to a lack of an SSD and graphics card, is still a solid computer overall, with good portability and decent power for the price.
The Dell Inspiron 14 7000 Series is a very standard Ultrabook offering. Featuring very average specs for its price point, a generally good construction, good media offerings through its screen and speakers, but overall nothing too impressive under the hood, the Inspiron 14 is a pretty good machine. ...

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3143 on: June 23, 2014, 10:57 PM »
Looking for a good, punchy and factual notebook review? Look no further than notebookreview.com.
Dell Inspiron 14 7000 Series Review
Quick Take
The Dell Inspiron 14 7000 series is a well-rounded machine that, while its value may suffer due to a lack of an SSD and graphics card, is still a solid computer overall, with good portability and decent power for the price.
The Dell Inspiron 14 7000 Series is a very standard Ultrabook offering. Featuring very average specs for its price point, a generally good construction, good media offerings through its screen and speakers, but overall nothing too impressive under the hood, the Inspiron 14 is a pretty good machine. ...

Now, that is really on topic ... silly humor, that is, and definitely NSFW.  (Can you tell I'm anti-Dell  :tellme: :D?)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3144 on: June 24, 2014, 01:38 AM »
Oh, DELL aren't too bad. I was given two dead ones, one of which (a monster gamer laptop) I restored right away and one which I recently restored 5 years later (am using that now for my kids to play games on). They worked just fine, and later I bought a refurbished DELL and that worked fine as well - until I spilt a cup of tea all over it. No, the the trouble I had with DELL was finding a human being in DELL and getting support for the laptops. I later found that HP are similar, if not worse. Very frustrating to deal with.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3145 on: June 24, 2014, 03:18 AM »
No, the the trouble I had with DELL was finding a human being in DELL and getting support for the laptops.

I heard and can partially vouch for that Dell gives Biz customers way better support. I think my old company made some sort of "gold team" and every time I called Dell, they basically solved whatever problems we had.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3146 on: June 24, 2014, 05:29 AM »
I have to say Dell used to be the bomb in support - call in, talk to a knowledgeable person, no charge unless they have to ship or do something (at least for server support). They've made it a lot more difficult in the last 10-15 years. Still have the best support web site though - at least you can find systems, pull up original configs (if they're under 7 years old), and.... they haven't started charging you for drivers if you don't have a support contract (shame on you HP!).
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3147 on: June 24, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Blimey, I didn't know that HP had started charging for drivers if no support contract. When did they start that?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3148 on: June 24, 2014, 11:05 AM »
Blimey, I didn't know that HP had started charging for drivers if no support contract. When did they start that?

I don't know.  I just downloaded drivers the other day with no problem.  For a 9 year old printer, no less.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3149 on: June 24, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Not sure about the guys, but I am sure the women here can relate, although I have not done anything like this since the 80's, when most jeans did not contain any Lycra. The only thing missing from this video is the coat hanger, to pull up the zipper.  ;D