ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (518/1232) > >>

wraith808:
Thats just wrong!

But so is this...

Stoic Joker:
Thats just wrong!

But so is this...
 (see attachment in previous post)
-wraith808 (February 03, 2014, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Holy crap man, now that's just wrong by even my standards ... :-\... And I don't have any!  :D

TaoPhoenix:
What are you going on about? David Thorne writes humorous articles. They're almost certainly not true, but that doesn't make them any less funny.
-Deozaan (February 02, 2014, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Maybe I'm being too critical.  I never thought any of this was true.  And yes... they're funny.

Nah, don't feel used. *We're* the ones publishing it here!
-TaoPhoenix (January 31, 2014, 10:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
This got me started.  If this had said republished... that would have been the end.  This sentence, as is, implies it was published by someone at DC.

Mr. Thorne didn't publish his own stuff in this thread or say...
--- End quote ---
This brand of humor doesn't appeal to me so I didn't know there was an actual Mr. Thorne.  I only viewed what the DC thread-link sent me to.

...How does that reflect poorly on DonationCoder or the software being offered/discussed here?
--- End quote ---
Who really knows how anyone gets their jollies.

And how does that make you feel used...
--- End quote ---
Guess there's no relyable *jerk filter* on any site.  It's readers choice.

To this day I believe I've/we've been punked here.**  PM's only brought hatred and name-calling towards me.
The powers that be, at DC, don't seem to care or don't want to rock the boat?  So be it.
The suspicious behavior seems to have stopped but this only reinforces my view.

This isn't Facebook... this is DonationCoder.
Where some non-geeks come seeking assistance.  Good or bad it may be a starting point or different perspective they may not have had.

**Possible multiple ID's was the issue and the reason I'm jaded.  Cloned advice sux any way you look at it.   :(
-crabby3 (February 03, 2014, 07:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

(Bleh - I had a nice post started, then a fluke browser crash nuked it! This version is slightly shorter.)

I'm involved, so lemme see if I can help fix this, so then we can get back to things we should be doing, like pestering Mouser.

1. I'm pretty sure you/we are not being "punked". First, to respond to the wording comment, I was trying to reply to your note earlier, and didn't predict this exact reply. So let's say that except for software stuff, very little gets "published" here. "Posted" is the word I'll use today. It's the Humor Thread, specifically designed for people to post stuff they like, with snippets, links, or both. Stuff from David Thorne aka 27b/6 is "medium famous", so there's high chances it will travel to Humor Threads on several boards.

Specially, I want to mention certain boards have their own "pet in house go-to humor". My best example is that Slashdot has a triple-joke that online comic xkcd gets posted in the comments basically every story. It's part of that site's Culture. Randall Munroe, while being a genius, has nothing to do with those reposts. We're far softer here, but a few sites will pop up more than once.

Meanwhile, as for ID's, this isn't like when you see "Info-Blog-Spam". I don't know Oblivion very well, but the fella from Page 1 is Zaine Ridling, a Minor Deity in the software world, and way smarter than I am. (I had to borrow one of his brain cells to pass a question on my tax preparer exam, but then I had to give it back, so then I forgot the answer!)

2. Notice it is a QuickMeme copy of the actual blog comedy entry. Noting in passing this site is in my top two list of sites concerning Copyright analysis, in concept anything that ever appears on any site like "QuickMeme" comes from somewhere else. So the concept is you should go back to the original source. DonationCoder is full of Smart People. I'm the resident idiot but I got lucky on this one. So some of us can usually do this to help.

I agree that "27bslash6" is a pretty obscure name if you don't know it. Let's look at it.
http://www.27bslash6.com/overdue.html - the "Spider" joke
Whenever you see a joke, always nuke the long address and go back to the "top level".
That gives us http://www.27bslash6.com/
THAT displays "Copyright © David Thorne 2008-2014 All rights reserved."

3. So if you can live with it not being a Dupe, let's look at one of your more disturbing notes.

"Thanks for bringing me back to the reality of DC.  Where some replies are genuine and others are not.  Readers choice.

With this in mind... how can anyone presume they're getting semi-accurate info about anything ... .

Including any *free software* that's offered.  No wonder it's free... you could end up more screwed than you were before.
But hey... it's free... sucker.

Jokers in this thread are going to be jerkers elsewhere.  Guess there's no such thing as Donation Refunds. "

Elsewhere you asked about a "Jerk Filter". DC is in my top-2 info sites. They handle "jerks" in different ways. Slashdot has a "mod" filter. People can "Mod Down" the worst of the trolls and "Mod Up" the better responses. There's some bias, and problems, but it sorta works. Here, Mouser moves the more contentious stuff to something called the "Basement".

Next, look at ID's. DC is small enough where you can begin to notice who posts what. The same 50 people account for 75+% of the posts here. So it's not "JohnDoe137" with two posts - it's someone with ____ other posts that prove they're not throwaway accounts.

Now, let's talk about "Free Software". I for one am a bit upset about you/user feeling "suckered". A ton of Free Software is made because we're pissed at people/groups like Microsoft charging $100+ for a Spreadsheet program in MS Office. So minor details aside, the five-ish free/cheaper alternatives are pretty good.

Lots of smaller Free Software gets made just because "Computing is Hard" and you just shouldn't have to pay for *every single line of code* you need. One of the legendary events here is "New Apps for the New Year", where people present little project software for free. No strings. Just because they think someone will like it. Or look at the Coding Snacks. You need a dirt-simple tool, but you can't code - you post it as a snack. Someone bangs it out in 30 lines of code in a couple of days.

Whew!

Does that help?

Yours,

--Tao

TaoPhoenix:

From another thread, my reply is much more humor thread oriented:

(From 40hz) "It's the old 'bundle blackmail,' (aka dog-in-the-hayloft) marketing strategy at work here."

Heh damnit you made me look up dogs in haylofts! (Edit: The first page of Startpage Advanced doesn't even tell me!)

So wha' da' hell dozzat mean?

Tell us in vernacular!

:)

ADNY78:
(see attachment in previous post)
-zridling (February 11, 2009, 02:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
The marriage as it really is!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page