topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]  (Read 3671768 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]
« Reply #2400 on: November 22, 2013, 10:16 PM »
A special what?  :huh:
 (see attachment in previous post)

Where oh where are these cards when you need one?!  :P

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2401 on: November 22, 2013, 10:47 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2402 on: November 23, 2013, 12:34 AM »
Where oh where are these cards when you need one?!  :P

Where are they when you don't need one? I'd like to stock up for when I do.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2403 on: November 23, 2013, 06:36 PM »
Badass yearbook quote:

F U C K Bi Tc He S, Ge Tm O Ne Y.jpg

Spoiler
"F U C K Bi Tc He S, Ge Tm O Ne Y"

She snuck the lyrics from Biggie and Junior M.A.F.I.A.'s  "Get Money," into the yearbook.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2404 on: November 24, 2013, 02:45 PM »
^^ Smart girl?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2405 on: November 24, 2013, 02:49 PM »
Email sent out by Greenpeace 2013-11-25:
Subject: I hope you can help me [Name]

Dear Greenpeace member,

I've never written to you before, but I really hope you can help me today.

My dear husband Colin Russell is one of the Arctic Sunrise crew members arrested at gunpoint for protesting Arctic oil drilling. Just this week his bail application was denied in a Russian court - even though every other crew member had their bail applications approved and all but one other have been released.

This could mean at least three more months alone in a prison cell during the icy winter in St Petersburg. This is difficult for me to take in. Col stays positive and strong in difficult circumstances. But with this latest news, I just know he's being tested beyond his limits.

Greenpeace has launched a global petition demanding freedom for Col and all his Arctic Sunrise crewmates. Can you please help by adding your name today?

Col was so happy when we spoke on the phone over two months ago. I remember how upbeat he was, just so happy to be back on a ship he's grown to love during 14 years of working as a radio operator for Greenpeace. We made plans to visit friends and family in Melbourne, maybe spend a week together on the coast over Christmas. But now, who knows when I'll see him next?

I've hardly been able to speak to Col much since he went to prison. We had a short phone call, but that was over a month ago. Now it's been 67 days of worry and anxiety for me and our 24-year-old daughter Maddie. All of this because Colin and 29 others were brave enough to tell oil companies like Shell and Gazprom to stop the Arctic.     <--------

The Australian foreign minister Julie Bishop spoke to Russian authorities about Col several weeks ago. But there's more that she and our government can do to rescue these heroes and bring them home. Tony Abbott, Australia's prime minister, must call President Putin to ensure Colin is also granted bail.

It would really mean the world to Maddie and I to have your name on this petition. Please click here to join us.

I can't write down in words how frustrating it is not being able to speak to him right now. I just want to tell him that Maddie and I - together with millions of Greenpeace supporters in every corner of the world - are thinking of him today.

That old saying, that alone we are only one voice and together we are powerful, has a whole new meaning for me now.

Thank you for helping us out. It means so much to us having you on our side.

Chrissie Russell, on behalf of Greenpeace.

PS It's been over two months since the Russian coast guard illegally boarded the Arctic Sunrise ship and arrested my husband and 29 others at gunpoint -- all for peacefully protesting against the terrible threat of an Arctic oil spill. Please make sure your name is on this petition today. Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:51 PM by IainB, Reason: Added emphasis for the funny bit (sorry, forgot to do that when I posted it). »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2406 on: November 25, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Epic[1].jpg

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2407 on: November 25, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Screenshot - 11_25_2013 , 10_17_19 PM.png
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2408 on: November 27, 2013, 03:19 PM »
An American guy says the following image is "too funny". I am not American so I can't judge it. Let me know if it's really so funny:

USA visti da un Newyorkese.jpg
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2409 on: November 28, 2013, 05:16 AM »
As an American, I found this collection of images where Brits were asked to fill in the names of the states, to be much funnier: http://www.buzzfeed....to-label-the-us-stat

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2410 on: November 28, 2013, 07:23 AM »
As an American, I found this collection of images where Brits were asked to fill in the names of the states, to be much funnier: http://www.buzzfeed....to-label-the-us-stat

oh app, thanks for that !! It really made my day (and it's only 2pm yet here).

By the time I got to the one titled "That’s a lot of Utahs" where the author had written "I'm so sorry" in the corner - well at that stage I just couldnt stop laughing...

BTW in spite of having lived in ME for a year, I reckon I wouldnt do very well on this test either :-[
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2411 on: November 28, 2013, 07:35 AM »
and the return version is Americans Try To Place European Countries On A Map
subtitled: :( :( :( :( At least the U.K. office didn’t fare much better with the U.S.
and
OK, in our defense, Europe is really complicated.
- which is true - I'd have trouble with a good few countries there myself..

http://www.buzzfeed....n-countries-on-a-map
Tom

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2412 on: November 29, 2013, 02:27 PM »
Laundry gods from Easter Island:

BZZX-gVIcAAHV24[1].jpg

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2413 on: November 30, 2013, 12:57 AM »
I dunno, about the Inferior Baseball, the Red Sox started winning including this year ...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2414 on: December 01, 2013, 03:45 PM »
and the return version is Americans Try To Place European Countries On A Map
subtitled: :( :( :( :( At least the U.K. office didn’t fare much better with the U.S.
and
OK, in our defense, Europe is really complicated.
- which is true - I'd have trouble with a good few countries there myself..
http://www.buzzfeed....n-countries-on-a-map
Erm, I have to admit that, as a Brit who was never all that interested in geography at school, I'm none too sure I could have done more than a 50% accurate/correct attempt at the European map of nations, at best. Probably much worse with the map of the American states.
Unless you have a photographic memory for jigsaw pieces, you probably need to learn that sort of thing by rote, and that's too tedious for some lazy minds...    :-[
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 04:14 PM by IainB, Reason: Minor correction. »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2415 on: December 01, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Oops, just noticed that I left something out in the Greenpeace letter (above).
Added emphasis for the funny bit (sorry, forgot to do that when I posted it).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2416 on: December 01, 2013, 04:13 PM »
Intrigued by the "Roger Bucklesby" plaque (posted by @app103), I did a DuckGo search and found that it has an interesting and amusing background: The Roger Bucklesby Bench Plaque Is Real, Sort Of

I also found that there had been a Wikipedia entry for "Roger Bucklesby", but it had been deleted.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2417 on: December 01, 2013, 05:45 PM »
The Streisand Effect strikes again - this time at Hinkley Point in the UK Democratic Republik:
It also looks like a good example of a foot-in-mouth episode.
The UK DECC (the government Department of Energy & Climate Change) posted a really good infograph in a post on its website (Hinkley Point C - News stories - GOV.UK) to show some benefits of the first new nuclear power plant that has been approved to be built since approx 20 years when the last one was built.
The infograph does a good job of justifying why it really did make sense to go nuclear rather than renewable.

Climategate - UK DECC Infographic - Hinkley point C nuclear final.gif

It's a really clear infograph - no? A simple, rational and compelling picture, and one which Prof. James Lovelock (environmentalist and father of the "Gaia Hypothesis") would categorically approve (QED).
What's rather amusing is that the trade industry body the REA (Renewable Energy Association) called the infograph “unhelpful” in a post REA Responds To Nuclear Strike Price Announcement - News - REA.
What's even more amusing is that the offending infograph was suddenly censored/disappeared from the government website, and seems to have been disappeared from the Wayback Machine and is now "uncached" in Google cache.

Hats off to the wags at DECC who apparently know an infeasible/phoney power technology when they see one and are not shy to say so, and hats off to the coves at REA, who apparently know how to bypass government democracy and have the power to dictate what information a government department can and cannot publish, and who do it so blatantly withal.
A hilariously revealing incident and a genuine LOL moment for me when I stumbled upon this. I mean, you don't build a nuclear power station on a whim or according to a religio-political ideology. It's very carefully thought out. It's a Big Project, and important to the whole nation's economy and utilities assets, and it will help to keep the price of electricity down for years to come, offsetting the huge increases due to green energy subsidies.
Thus, imagine a government making a "right choice" business decision like this yet being embarrassed about building a super new nuclear power station which offers so many multifarious benefits (including and especially environmental benefits) over the infeasible "renewable" alternatives!

I suppose one good thing about all this is that at least it helps to clarify the question of who's actually running the government over there in good ol' pommieland - the clue being that it apparently might not be someone you thought you voted for and who had thus been elected to do the job.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:03 PM by IainB, Reason: Testing search/index disabled functionality. »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2418 on: December 01, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Why is this in the humour thread?

By the way I have a reply to it, if the question is serious, but won't post it  :P

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2419 on: December 01, 2013, 06:51 PM »
@rgdot: Are you referring to something I posted, or someone else's post? I might be able to explain, if it's one of mine.
By the way, which question do you mean by "if the question is serious?"

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2420 on: December 01, 2013, 07:29 PM »
There is a dichotomy 'tween humor and funny, donchano  ;).

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2421 on: December 02, 2013, 12:43 AM »
@IainB
The Streisand Effect strikes again and by question I meant "It's a really clear infograph - no?"

I am trying (sometimes failing) to stay away from climate type debates, things won't happen in my lifetime and I don't have kids, so it's fine. Main reason I posted was wondering why it is in the humour thread.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2422 on: December 02, 2013, 11:02 AM »
oORk4dp.jpg

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2423 on: December 02, 2013, 11:36 AM »
(see attachment in previous post)

Great ! I hope SC has OCR at hand...
.merle1.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2424 on: December 02, 2013, 11:50 AM »
@IainB
The Streisand Effect strikes again and by question I meant "It's a really clear infograph - no?"
I am trying (sometimes failing) to stay away from climate type debates, things won't happen in my lifetime and I don't have kids, so it's fine. Main reason I posted was wondering why it is in the humour thread.
Ah, I think I see what you are on about.
Well, the clarity of the infograph is part of the joke, you see, and the whole thing would seem to have everything to do with environmental protection and corporate greed, and nothing to do with any "climate type debates".

The publication of the infograph and its subsequent removal was a very informative and a highly amusing LOL moment for me, as it was a typical Streisand Effect and perhaps a good example of "foot-in-mouth" syndrome - because the available alternatives to the Hinkley Point C nclear power station in the infograph are all clearly infeasible.
So? Well, that's a bonus in the joke - being the hilarity that there is no coal-fired generation given as an alternative on the infograph.

Why no coal-fired generation option?  Because, well, the Brits succumbed to green pressure (not "environmental" pressure) and adopted a policy to not build any more coal-fired power stations - as had the Germans, I gather (though they have since sensibly started building them again at a great rate of knots). Thus leaving the Brits with the only feasible option as being nuclear power. It would have been a no-brainer.
There is also, of course, gas (from fracking) - which, together with nuclear, the environmentalist James Lovelock pointed out some time ago as being the way to go.
For example:
James Lovelock: The UK should be going mad for fracking
Scientist James Lovelock is the man behind Gaia theory, and once predicted doom for our climate. He discusses nuclear (good), wind power (bad) and why fracking is the future.
It's an ironic situation really, because  the only available options to nuclear that are left become "the elephant in the room" - i.e., so-called "renewable" energy, that the REA would clearly rather no-one mentioned or publicised, and which is so big that it was literally filling up that infograph.
Why was it filling up the infograph so much? Because DECCA had effectively been hobbled (or had hobbled themselves) under corporate (REA) green pressures so that they hadn't left themselves with any other viable options.

It's a bit like tying your shoelaces together and then wondering why you keep falling over when you try to walk.
It's also a bit of an own goal for the REA if you think about it.
"Please make it so that we can't be seen to have successfully created an oligopoly over the energy sector that forces infeasible, highly cost-ineffective and highly damaging (economically and environmentally) power supply systems on to the taxpayers/consumers, because it is highly profitable to us."

Personally, and as a keen environmentalist and a rationalist, I can actually understand this from several angles and see it as both a very funny and a very ironic joke, but I can also understand that some people might not be able or might not wish to see it thus and why the REA in particular might wish to conceal the elephant. Yet the elephant wouldn't have looked quite so big if there had been more power supply generation options/alternatives in the infograph, but there weren't because they had already been pushed out, cuckoo-like by the corporate (REA) green lobbies. So they effectively created the elephant that they now do not want you to see.
It really is a very, very big elephant and, once seen, you cannot "unsee" it. Priceless.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:37 PM by IainB, Reason: Minor corrections. »