ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (317/1232) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

Funny picture:

http://www.triggerandfreewheel.com/image/nys-disgruntledest

TaoPhoenix:

VERY silly joke!

Did you hear about the biography of Yakov Smirnoff? You don't read it, it reads you!
:P

IainB:
^^ I didn't get the joke until I googled "Yakov Smirnoff".
Never heard of him before. He's very clever/funny.

e.g., from: Wikiepedia Yakov Smirnoff
Russian reversal
Russian reversal or "In Soviet Russia" is a type of joke originated by Smirnoff, and is an example of antimetabole.[5] The general form of the "In Soviet Russia" joke is that the subject and object of a statement are reversed, and "In (Soviet) Russia," or something equivalent, is added, and the verb is often left unconjugated and articles are omitted, mimicking perceived Russian-accented speech. The original was:

In America, you can always find a party.
    In Soviet Russia, Party always find you!

Other examples include:

In America, you break law.
    In Soviet Russia, law breaks you!

In America, your work determines your marks.
    In Soviet Russia, Marx determines your work!

In America, you assassinate presidents.
    In Soviet Russia, presidents assassinate you!

In America, you watch Big Brother.
    In Soviet Russia, Big Brother watches you!

Smirnoff's use of English allowed him to smooth over grammar differences in transitioning from the setup to the punchline. For example, he omits the articles "a" and "the" (which the Russian language doesn't have) in the first reversal joke above, to better preserve the congruence. Also, verbs are often left unconjugated, such as in the joke "In America, you listen to man on radio. In Soviet Russia, man on radio listen to you!"

In 1985, Smirnoff appeared on a Miller Lite commercial featuring Russian reversal jokes.[6]

In America, there's plenty of light beer and you always find a party. In Russia, Party will always find you.

See also: Transpositional pun

--- End quote ---

TaoPhoenix:
^^ I didn't get the joke until I googled "Yakov Smirnoff".
Never heard of him before. He's very clever/funny.
-IainB (May 06, 2013, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, though you just told me you're not a veteran of the site Slashdot, where that's been one of their top-25 "inside jokes" for over a decade!!

Arizona Hot:
silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Maybe it has negative calories like celery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version