ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (193/1232) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I have to cling to my theory that people aren't going all Mr. Burns "Ooh, if we dumb down the educational system then we can get rich with X, Y, and Z." Not *quite* that brutally direct.

Invoking my new fun term "Differently Evil", I think it's become more of a "Soft Science Scapeoat". To a point, (I know, fun exceptions abound), Math-Physics, Biology-Medicine, your choice of three other science pairs are "Hard Science", they basically "Just Work".

But something like Educational Theory gets all wishy-washy and only works in the aggregate and also only at about the Decade level. Unfortunately, Politics is all about micro-decisions where on VERY good days you have about a month tops to respond to something, and more often less than a week. So then someone gets in a snoot and wants to free up cash for something, and someone else wants a talking point, so they go all "yeah yeah let's cut education to pay for it!" Then of course it tends not to come back because when you restore it they go "you scumbag, you're taking away funding from __". Somehow, Think of the Children works ... until it's time to Think of the Children, at which point, having been used to try to sell SOPA, they get thrown back into the smelly fish barrel from my other post.

Renegade:
I have to cling to my theory that people aren't going all Mr. Burns "Ooh, if we dumb down the educational system then we can get rich with X, Y, and Z." Not *quite* that brutally direct.
-TaoPhoenix (December 06, 2012, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

You are far more optimistic than I am there.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=The+Deliberate+Dumbing+Down+of+America+Charlotte+Thomson+Iserbyt

Lots of references there. First link is the smoking gun.

However... be forewarned... if you wish to go down that road and find out more on the topic, you will find that its enemies are many and diverse. You will regularly encounter stuff like:

HA! Managed to work that into a joke even~! :D

Renegade:
Extremely Scary Ghost Prank. (When it comes to practical jokes, this one is just bloody evil! :tellme:)

-40hz (December 05, 2012, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hahahahahaa~! That was one very well done prank! ;D

While I do love horror flicks, really, these kinds of pranks are kind of unfunny. I've seen others like this and was amazed that nobody got hurt. Too many pranks put people into a possible "fight" mode. One of these days, someone is going to get killed.

It reminds me of that Egyptian television prank where someone did get punched a few times.

Can you imagine the second part of the video above done in Texas? Someone would think it's a zombie, pull a gun and shoot the actor in the head. Would you blame him? I wouldn't.

I do kind of like the humour, but... man... they just seem a bit dangerous to me.

TaoPhoenix:
I didn't make it though a third before I dismissed it as stupid. I know, internet watcher and all, but they cherry picked a case where the subject stood there and screamed. (Have they never ever even seen a horror movie?! Don't you know you're supposed to fight the evil demon and die trying?)

Really?!

Renny's right about the danger, but to the ghost-model, no gun even needed. Pretty sure someone more aggressive would have tried tackling the "ghost" at which point they just go "cut, scene over, it's just a joke and you failed. Go away now. Here's some bunch of money for your time. Next!"

40hz:
I do kind of like the humour, but... man... they just seem a bit dangerous to me.
-Renegade (December 06, 2012, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Renny's right about the danger...
-TaoPhoenix (December 06, 2012, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please note my introductory comment where I said: When it comes to practical jokes, this one is just bloody evil!

That was not intended to be a taken as a compliment.  ;)

(It's also too long. It stopped being even moderately interesting to me, even from a shock perspective, after the second or third iteration. But when I was shown it, everybody around me was laughing hysterically and going nuts over it. So I figured I'd share it just in case I was missing something. I often do "not get" much of what passes for "humor" these days.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version