ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (97/1232) > >>

mouser:
I missed the joke because I failed to give you sufficient credit for a very nice subtle joke.. But I do appreciate it now :up:

Actually this just reinforces one of my philosophical theories of happiness -- that we would all be much happier if we proceeded on the basis that those around us who seem to hold dramatically different political/religious/philosophical views than our own are really just putting on a deliberately absurdist performance for our amusement, and don't really believe anything they are saying.

IainB:
...are really just putting on a deliberately absurdist performance for our amusement, and don't really believe anything they are saying.
-mouser (June 12, 2012, 03:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes - what a coincidence! - this is a principle that I have had to learn to apply and have applied for a long time. It helped me cope with Asperger syndrome (runs in the family). As a child, I would take any apparently factual statement or argument that I heard/read, and I would analyse it for rationale/truth, and it would disturb me greatly if it did not stand up to critical analysis. I could understand if it was flawed out of some mistake, but I could not understand if it was flawed out of some deliberate untruth - why would someone deliberately articulate an untruth? (Nowadays, I just become intensely annoyed when I catch someone lying.)

But that principle is so useful. When I hear/read about what seems some interesting but outlandishly daft statement or proposition that has no real substantiation in fact (e.g., James Lovelock's "Gaia Hypothesis"), I do wonder whether they "...are really just putting on a deliberately absurdist performance for our amusement, and don't really believe anything they are saying."
The depressing thing (for me) is when you realise that apparently they do not intend to entertain with absurdity and they apparently seriously do believe in what they are saying - e.g., Tom Cruise's freaky Scientology interview - Tom Cruise Scientology Video - (Original UNCUT)

Apologies for my obscure humour, anyway. I think I acquired it by being brought up by Yorkshire folk. It doesn't always "translate" very well into other cultures.
There are three kinds of people in this world, them as can count, and them as can't.
--- End quote ---

IainB:
Bad poker player.

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Shades:
...but otherwise looking very "healthy"  :P

Giampy:
A man needs to do a fertility test. He goes to the doctor. The doctor gives him a phial and says him to fill it.
The following day the man comes back to the doctor and says:
"Doctor, I didn't succeed in filling it, and yet I tried in any way.
I tried with my right hand. No result.
I tried with my left hand. No result.
Then I asked my wife for help.
She tried with her right hand. No result.
She tried with her left hand. No result.
She tried with her mouth... up and down... for a long time. No result.
Then I asked my beautiful housemaid for help.
She tried with her right hand. No result.
She tried with her left hand. No result.
She tried with her mouth... up and down... for a long time. No result.

SpoilerDoctor, what is the way to open this phial???"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version