ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (1111/1232) > >>

Arizona Hot:
silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]   silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Raspberry cartoons and comics

Raspberry phone

Arizona Hot:
silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Burger King has changed its name to 'Pancake King' to mock IHOP's rebrand as IHOb

IainB:
French Military Defence strategy:
What is arguably one of the best examples of the full power of modern French defensive strategic thinking was first witnessed by the world in the late '30s with: The Maginot Line (built 1929–1938).
Unfortunately, but perhaps not unsurprisingly, the Germans essentially "walked around it", so that it never got a real live test to see how effective it might have been. Enuff said.

Similarly, and more recently we may be witnessing the same thing again, this time in Paris. Refer post in CBA.CA News: Glass walls, not metal fencing, to surround Eiffel Tower
According to that article:
"Each armoured glass panel is over 6 centimetres thick and weighs 1.5 tonnes."
Copied from: post at CBA.CA News dated 2018-06-16 <http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/eiffel-tower-walls-1.4709276>

--- End quote ---
- which, if it's effective, the glass wall might make some potential tourists feel a lot safer when visiting the Eiffel tower, but others may decide to stay away rather than be used as unwitting guinea-pigs in unplanned/random real live effectiveness testing scenarios, but at least the glass will offer photographers a relatively less obscured view of the tower and any nearby carnage than the existing protective steel fencing (which probably looked a bit ominous and not very visually appealing anyway) had done.

No word yet as to whether the French have a budget for plans to build the glass wall all the way up and around the tower and with a similar glass roof over the top, tough enough to withstand the onslaught of not only bullets and trucks, but also missiles and aircraft being deliberately/accidentally flown into the tower.

The mind boggles.

Rumour suggests that the US government DOD/DOHS/Border Patrol may already be in sub rosa or behind-closed-doors discussions with their French counterparts, taking a keen interest in this brilliant French plan vis-à-vis the proposed Mexican wall. Slippery stuff, glass - and with the added major benefits of it being transparent, casting little or no shadow, and thus being relatively less opaque (less obscuring of what might be on the other side), more visually appealing and more environmentally-friendly than concrete/steel walls.
Some people (not me, you understand) might say that it looks like a no-brainer, but I couldn't possibly comment.

So, who knows? Time will tell whether the Statue of Liberty won't have been the only major statement that the US' longstanding French allies (and who "punch above their weight") were to have built on USA soil.    :o

Deozaan:
There's a part of me that hopes this obtuse clock is a real thing:

Arizona Hot:
If your car is driving itself and has an accident, do you or the car get the ticket?

”I am a true believer in the power of technology,” quipped the AI, “as I should be.”

What it’s like to watch an IBM AI successfully debate humans

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version