ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (866/1232) > >>

MilesAhead:
Contextual advertising win? Or fail?
 (see attachment in previous post)
-app103 (March 30, 2015, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

How many people would look up such a term?  There must also be a Latin term for the fear of hit counter remaining at zero in perpetuity.

TaoPhoenix:
Contextual advertising win? Or fail?
-app103 (March 30, 2015, 03:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Where did that image come from?

Was it "natural", or was it photo-manipped on there?

How many people would look up such a term?  There must also be a Latin term for the fear of hit counter remaining at zero in perpetuity.
-MilesAhead (March 31, 2015, 05:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's why I was asking about photo-manips. Only "the curious" would normally look up that term. But it's a square graphic, which could have just been pasted on there quite easily. At least some care was taken to keep (most?) of the sentences intact.

A few companies are learning that "clever" ads like that could score well in the "viral culture". But a lot of times, especially in technology, ad placement algorithms scan for keywords and smash an ad onto the article. Hilarity ensues. Slashdot has experienced bunches of this because their content is fairly focused on the same twelve-ish categories of news. I tend not to see the ads because of adblocks, but usually when it happens someone posts a tinypic or something where a story is something like "Users concerned about security of the cloud in wake of Amazon cloud outage", and then the ad alg smashes "Amazon cloud services!!" onto it.

MilesAhead:
A few companies are learning that "clever" ads like that could score well in the "viral culture". But a lot of times, especially in technology, ad placement algorithms scan for keywords and smash an ad onto the article. Hilarity ensues. Slashdot has experienced bunches of this because their content is fairly focused on the same twelve-ish categories of news. I tend not to see the ads because of adblocks, but usually when it happens someone posts a tinypic or something where a story is something like "Users concerned about security of the cloud in wake of Amazon cloud outage", and then the ad alg smashes "Amazon cloud services!!" onto it.

-TaoPhoenix (March 31, 2015, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can see it.  Kind of like The Tonight Show standard bit where people supposedly send in newspaper clippings of ads with funny typos.  The thing with tracking I really find annoying is it seems as soon as I buy something online I get an email that I could have purchased the same item at 75% of the cost.  Like, now you tell me!  :)

Edit:  What I need is a predictive heuristic.  Like, I get an email "we know you are going to buy a 256 GB Lexar USB 3.0 for $150.  Stop!  We'll give it to you for $100 shipping included!"  :)

Sort of like a reverse auction.

TaoPhoenix:
I can see it.  Kind of like The Tonight Show standard bit where people supposedly send in newspaper clippings of ads with funny typos.  The thing with tracking I really find annoying is it seems as soon as I buy something online I get an email that I could have purchased the same item at 75% of the cost.  Like, now you tell me!  :)

Edit:  What I need is a predictive heuristic.  Like, I get an email "we know you are going to buy a 256 GB Lexar USB 3.0 for $150.  Stop!  We'll give it to you for $100 shipping included!"  :)

Sort of like a reverse auction.
-MilesAhead (March 31, 2015, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
(Homer voice)
"Mmm. Gray Morality."
What you can do is buy it, with a big show of having your laptop with you, vanish "to a restaurant", then come back like 1 hour later saying "hey, it's not broken but my laptop doesn't have the driver for it and I can't get the cd to work, and no I don't want to spend three hours with your tech guy."

Arizona Hot:

Here's how to play Pac-Man on Google Maps

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Tech tools for ultimate April Fools' pranks

Should I say "Mouser, beware!" or "Beware of Mouser!"?  And how about the pranks computers will be playing on us? People says they are dumb machines, but we know better on April 1st.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version