topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DoubleKiller Pro - FAST and great to find duplicate files!  (Read 52964 times)

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DoubleKiller Pro - FAST and great to find duplicate files!
« on: December 02, 2005, 10:46 AM »
After searching for years for a really good duplicate files finder I stumbled over DoubleKiller. I were missing a few features (which I sent to the coder and which are realized now, thanks!) but it was very promising!

Now I use the Pro version which is blazing fast and for a limited time only you can get it with a nice discount!
Read https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1452.0 and
https://www.donation...Discounts/index.html for details!

You can change the window size of cause, I used a not-that-big size for the screenshots:

DoubleKiller Pro when you start it up:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1299/doublekillerpro18sw.png

The Comparison Options - note that each of the 4 options there has its own advanced settings
to be more specific when needed:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7567/doublekillerpro23vj.png

The Scan Options - here you can limit your search to certain file names and/or sizes, very helpful:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8703/doublekillerpro39oi.png

The Common Options:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7403/doublekillerpro40pk.png

About: (mouser really digs this :D )
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/117/doublekillerpro51px.png

« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 03:45 AM by brotherS »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: DoubleKiller Pro - FAST and great to find duplicate files!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 11:54 AM »
you didn't include a screenshot of my favorite part, the about box!

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 12:02 PM »
you didn't include a screenshot of my favorite part, the about box!
I didn't because it has about the same size of the other together, but as you wish :D

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Have you also checked out the following software, if so what do you think?

zsDuplicateHunter - http://www.zizasoft....ts/zsDuplicateHunter

NoClone - http://www.noclone.net/

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 07:19 AM »
What kind of files are typically found by these types of programs? Like, where do the files come from?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 07:29 AM »
an example of how you might use such a program: you download tons of pdf files on a regular basis and you want to easily identify and remove duplicates.  a duplicate file finder is one of those things that if you need it, you really need it, and a good one can save you tons of time.  but not everyone needs such a tool.

Jan-S

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Big Bang enterprises
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 08:06 AM »
Actually most duplicate file finders are able to find all kinds of duplicate files as they are comparing the binary contents of the files. So even if you do not have a specific scenario like mouser's example, you may be able to free a lot of disk space by just cleaning your music collection, picture collection or download folder from duplicate files. It is important to note that although you will have duplicate files in other directories like your Windows or Program Files directory, most of them are needed by these programs and your system - so you should never scan your complete hard disk and delete all duplicates you can find.

mouser's example of downloading files and adding them to your collection is something DoubleKiller Pro can handle much better than other duplicate file finders: As you can see in brotherS' screenshot of the Scan Options page, there are two separate directory lists that perfectly suit this task. By adding the directory of new files to the upper list and your collection to the second one, DoubleKiller Pro scans the new files for duplicates and also checks if any of the new files is already contained in your collection. Imagine you have a collection of 10,000 wallpapers, just stumbled upon a new site and downloaded 100 wallpapers from it. Other duplicate file finders like NoClone would have to check all 10,100 files for duplicates while DoubleKiller Pro would only compare the 100 files against themselves and against the collection, which is obviously much faster.

DoubleKiller Pro also beats the competition in other tasks, like scanning MP3 files for duplicates: Using the advanced content comparison options, you can compare the MP3 files against each other without regarding the information about song and album title, composer and so on (so-called ID3 tags). This way DoubleKiller Pro will also find MP3 files that have exactly the same MP3 content, but a differently spelled or omitted album title. (Details are described in the usage examples chapter of the help file.)
Jan Schlüter, author of DoubleKiller and DoubleKiller Pro

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 03:48 AM »
mouser's example of downloading files and adding them to your collection is something DoubleKiller Pro can handle much better than other duplicate file finders: As you can see in brotherS' screenshot of the Scan Options page, there are two separate directory lists that perfectly suit this task. By adding the directory of new files to the upper list and your collection to the second one, DoubleKiller Pro scans the new files for duplicates and also checks if any of the new files is already contained in your collection. Imagine you have a collection of 10,000 wallpapers, just stumbled upon a new site and downloaded 100 wallpapers from it. Other duplicate file finders like NoClone would have to check all 10,100 files for duplicates while DoubleKiller Pro would only compare the 100 files against themselves and against the collection, which is obviously much faster.
Yeah, this is really a great feature! Sooooo fast! :)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 04:38 AM »
I just bought this.. and I have to say I'm very, very impressed. I've tried a bunch of free dupe finder programs over the past week or so, and some of them I liked, others not so much, but not a single one really blew me away in any way--until now. What BigBang Enterprises put together here in ONE FILE of just about 1MB in size is absolutely amazing. It's blazing fast, the features are exactly what you need and nothing that you don't, there is no installer, just that damn tiny file of some 1MB, and it's.. in a word, fantastic. This is the kind of program that really impresses once used. Unlike most software out there that you look at sort of go "ah.. ok, that'll do".. this one has you feeling proud you paid the $20 bucks to own it. The selection features for files are just awesome, as are the comparison options and the little things that let you fine-tune just exactly what kind of "duplicates" you want to find.

Seriously, if you're looking for a duplicate file finder utility... look no further. This is as good as it gets. I dare you to find a duplicate file finder tool that comes even close to DoubleKiller Pro. I'm blown away.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 04:40 AM by moerl »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 11:11 AM »
kimmchii told us about DupeTrasher, another tool of this kind. Check https://www.donation...index.php?topic=4122

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 04:42 PM »
kimmchii told us about DupeTrasher, another tool of this kind. Check https://www.donation...index.php?topic=4122
Did you try it? Sounds interesting.. and I like the colorful interface.. though I don't know what else I could wish for with DoubleKiller. Granted, with large files, DoubleKiller takes a while, but if you're comparing MP3's or images or whatever it's blazing fast :)

Did anyone actually compare the two? I'd be interested in reading about that comparison :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 05:28 PM »
i've tried them both.  while i cant say how doublekiller compares to other tools, dupetrasher does not seem as flexible or powerful to me.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 05:33 PM »
Well in that case, DoubleKiller is KING :)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 02:33 PM »
* moerl thinks this HAS to get on the Great Software List. Clonespy, which is there now, doesn't even compare IMHO. I never liked Clonespy's interface. Not all that intuitive.. and when you HAVE TO read a help file to use a program effectively.. I'd say it's a bad sign.

I vote for DoubleKiller to replace CloneSpy on the Great Software list :D. Hell, I like even Duplicate File Finder (free!) better than CloneSpy.

jimjimbo111

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 02:10 PM »
this looks good.....my other dup file locater(Sys Mech) stopped working all of a sudden....

ashiswa

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 09:22 AM »
Try http://Duplicate Finder this also a very good tool to find and eliminate true duplicate files.

Duplicate Finder search duplicates using byte by byte or crc32 to give you most accurate and faster results.

Good interface with lots of features. :Thmbsup:

http://www.ashisoft.com

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 09:37 AM »
Try http://Duplicate Finder this also a very good tool to find and eliminate true duplicate files.

Duplicate Finder search duplicates using byte by byte or crc32 to give you most accurate and faster results.

Good interface with lots of features. :Thmbsup:

http://www.ashisoft.com
Remember to state 100% clearly when you're affiliated with some software you post about :)
- carpe noctem

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 02:16 PM »
f0dder is right. Making your first post on this site about your own program...? :redface:

As "ashisoftdf" you also 'reviewed' your own program on http://fileforum.bet..._Finder/1089135988/1:
I really like Duplicate Finder. An especially nice touch was when it told me that I was deleting all copies of a file. I tried a few other duplicate file finders and hated them.
:redface:

I'm still totally happy with DoubleKiller Pro, you might want to re-think your marketing approach.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 02:25 PM »
It's fine to post about your own program, first post or not.  We only ask that people make clear when they are posting about a company that they have a relationship with.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 08:09 AM »
Interesting point about pdf files, mouser (though this comment is two years late!). I was trying to think of a frequent use for this type of application and couldn't, but I *do* download pdfs all the time and frequently discover that I've multiple copies of the same file in different locations with different names... Hmm... this could wind up costing me money!

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 12:08 AM »
Not a big deal, but when someone does that (post about their product into anothers thread one time and leave, not introducing themselves or their company) I instantly dismiss that product in my head, permanently.  To me it's a warning sign from all the softwares I've bought in the past.  It's indicitive of the kind of support you will get more times than not.  Take people like the developer of WebsiteWatcher or Surfulater or SQLNotes or EmEditor, you know they care, because they take the time to start their own thread introducing themselves and/or respond to people.  That is how you do your product some good, what ashiswa has done, does more bad than good on influencing me.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 12:38 AM »
I tend to agree, Vegas. However, let's give ashiswa the benefit of the doubt and see if s/he takes your advice and starts a separate thread introducing themselves and their product.

maxic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 08:50 AM »
Hello,

I am representing Bolide Software. Just want to inform you about our Duplicate Image Finder. It provides no byte-by-byte comparison, it compares image content therefore it can detect not only duplicate images but the similar ones too.
Feel free to ask me for the discount :) Or should I create a separate topic there?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:19 AM by maxic »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 08:40 AM »
Hello,

I am representing Bolide Software. Just want to inform you about our Duplicate Image Remover. It provides no byte-by-byte comparison, it compares image content therefore it can detect not only duplicate images but the similar ones too.
Feel free to ask me for the discount :) Or should I create a separate topic there?

maxic,

Thanks for the info, did anybody get in touch with you about your offer? I had your software on one of my computers for a short while. I downloaded it from GivawayOfTheDay (I think) but I rebuilt that computer shortly thereafter and really didn't get a chance to use it much. The little I did see looked impressive.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 02:50 PM »
Cleaner007: You only have made 2 posts on DC, both about the same software.
This raises some eyebrows because it is suspected of Spam.
If you're associated with a company, you have to be straightforward about it, and then, we allow you to make such posts.
What's really strange is that you didn't even spell the name of the software correctly in this post..  :-\ :-\