ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

DoubleKiller Pro - FAST and great to find duplicate files!

<< < (2/7) > >>

mouser:
an example of how you might use such a program: you download tons of pdf files on a regular basis and you want to easily identify and remove duplicates.  a duplicate file finder is one of those things that if you need it, you really need it, and a good one can save you tons of time.  but not everyone needs such a tool.

Jan-S:
Actually most duplicate file finders are able to find all kinds of duplicate files as they are comparing the binary contents of the files. So even if you do not have a specific scenario like mouser's example, you may be able to free a lot of disk space by just cleaning your music collection, picture collection or download folder from duplicate files. It is important to note that although you will have duplicate files in other directories like your Windows or Program Files directory, most of them are needed by these programs and your system - so you should never scan your complete hard disk and delete all duplicates you can find.

mouser's example of downloading files and adding them to your collection is something DoubleKiller Pro can handle much better than other duplicate file finders: As you can see in brotherS' screenshot of the Scan Options page, there are two separate directory lists that perfectly suit this task. By adding the directory of new files to the upper list and your collection to the second one, DoubleKiller Pro scans the new files for duplicates and also checks if any of the new files is already contained in your collection. Imagine you have a collection of 10,000 wallpapers, just stumbled upon a new site and downloaded 100 wallpapers from it. Other duplicate file finders like NoClone would have to check all 10,100 files for duplicates while DoubleKiller Pro would only compare the 100 files against themselves and against the collection, which is obviously much faster.

DoubleKiller Pro also beats the competition in other tasks, like scanning MP3 files for duplicates: Using the advanced content comparison options, you can compare the MP3 files against each other without regarding the information about song and album title, composer and so on (so-called ID3 tags). This way DoubleKiller Pro will also find MP3 files that have exactly the same MP3 content, but a differently spelled or omitted album title. (Details are described in the usage examples chapter of the help file.)

brotherS:
mouser's example of downloading files and adding them to your collection is something DoubleKiller Pro can handle much better than other duplicate file finders: As you can see in brotherS' screenshot of the Scan Options page, there are two separate directory lists that perfectly suit this task. By adding the directory of new files to the upper list and your collection to the second one, DoubleKiller Pro scans the new files for duplicates and also checks if any of the new files is already contained in your collection. Imagine you have a collection of 10,000 wallpapers, just stumbled upon a new site and downloaded 100 wallpapers from it. Other duplicate file finders like NoClone would have to check all 10,100 files for duplicates while DoubleKiller Pro would only compare the 100 files against themselves and against the collection, which is obviously much faster.
-Jan-S (December 03, 2005, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, this is really a great feature! Sooooo fast! :)

moerl:
I just bought this.. and I have to say I'm very, very impressed. I've tried a bunch of free dupe finder programs over the past week or so, and some of them I liked, others not so much, but not a single one really blew me away in any way--until now. What BigBang Enterprises put together here in ONE FILE of just about 1MB in size is absolutely amazing. It's blazing fast, the features are exactly what you need and nothing that you don't, there is no installer, just that damn tiny file of some 1MB, and it's.. in a word, fantastic. This is the kind of program that really impresses once used. Unlike most software out there that you look at sort of go "ah.. ok, that'll do".. this one has you feeling proud you paid the $20 bucks to own it. The selection features for files are just awesome, as are the comparison options and the little things that let you fine-tune just exactly what kind of "duplicates" you want to find.

Seriously, if you're looking for a duplicate file finder utility... look no further. This is as good as it gets. I dare you to find a duplicate file finder tool that comes even close to DoubleKiller Pro. I'm blown away.

brotherS:
kimmchii told us about DupeTrasher, another tool of this kind. Check https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=4122

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version