topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 3:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ahh more timers! This one looks good and syncs with Google Calendar and Outlook  (Read 8506 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
(via Lifehacker)

Pros:

Simple to use
Exportable records
Online sync with Google Calendar
Offline sync with Outlook
MacOSX and Windows

Cons:

(Confusing terminology for casual users)

Ex.

If you're a single user, you're still called a customer.

If you open the projects screen you still have a calculated project time screen + task screen.

If you open the task screen, you also have an optional hourly rate settings.

For those who know how to work around these, it make sense. For someone like me who's never been in a corporate project before, it's all so confusing. I'm not really sure what value all the reporting, pop-up comment box and hourly rates are for. It's avoidable but it still seems like I can't fully unlock the program for myself so I slink back to Activity Tracker's simplistic interface and just manually insert an entry on to Google Calendar.

Note: The zip extracts two folders. One for MacOsX and the other for windows just called timeredition. This holds true for the Windows version. Just ignore the Mac folder and go to the timer edition folder and click on the .exe to install.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 01:33 AM by Paul Keith »

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Paul,
Nice find!
Unfortunately, I followed the LH link & tried to d/l this twice from sourceforge.net and once from a mirror they posted, all for nothing.

The download links say Windows, but the files are for a Mac...grrrr.....but that's always been my experience with SF. Missing files, missing projects, wrong files, files that need other files to open them (but it's not mentioned, of course), jars, rars, blah blah blah...

Back to the topic though, I was really excited about the possibility of having a timer for Outlook.  I also wanted to see what you meant by not being able to unlock it for yourself, & see if there was anything I could do to help you out.

If you ever find another timer that works with Outlook, please post it again. :Thmbsup:
-Sarah

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Skesselman, there's actually two folders the zip extracts. One of them is for MacOSX and the other is for Windows.

The Mac folder should have an underscore before it's folder name. You just go to the timeredition folder and click on the .exe

Sorry for forgetting to point that out.

If that doesn't work Taskblaze also works with Outlook but it hangs after you've inputted something. (though I didn't try timeredition with Outlook)

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No, the mirror download from San Jose is garbage.
It crashes FF (last night and today) & the rest of this twisted mess of a "download" is not worth the time to explain.

Even the direct download is confusing.
There is already a file with the same name as the folder you've specified' but I did not name that file and I did not name any folders. Timer has since been tossed  :)

Edit: proofed later (repeating myself)
-Sarah
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:01 PM by SKesselman »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ouch! I'm sorry about your experience. I used Firefox on mine using DownThemAll and it went well for me so I didn't realize it could be troublesome.

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sorry Paul, for being such a hag about it.

I have very little patience with idiosyncratic installations, probably less than anyone else on this forum.
I know better than to d/l anything from SF, I just got carried away with the idea of having a timer like that.
Ironically, it's probably best I don't have one that syncs w/ Outlook, as that only increases the margin of error (both on my part, as well as the developer's).

Forgetting Outlook for the moment, I have a handy little timer in InfoSelect, that is there if I need it.

Again, I'm really sorry if the previous post sounded in any way like it was directed at you, it wasn't.  :)

-Sarah

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No, no. Please I understand your pain. I'm equally impatient. I almost never bother with programs I couldn't like at first glance of it's GUI and often times I end up using programs only after I've installed and uninstalled them for months.  :P

Daleus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You guys need to go a bit easier on yourself.

I am exactly the same way - if I can't figure out basic usage just be looking at the GUI, or by looking for common tasks in common places, it gets shelved if it's lucky or tossed otherwise.

For me it's out of necessity.  I'm part of an understaffed IT service dept, that has sweet f***-all for training budget, yet I have to support the MS monstrosities, any email client ever invented, and some of the wierdest "garage-garbage" you've ever seen.  I have to get it sorted in the first 60 seconds, or I'm "Bad At My Job" (tm).

Life is not only mean, but it's cruel too.

Daleus, Curmudgeon-at-Large