ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ahh more timers! This one looks good and syncs with Google Calendar and Outlook

(1/2) > >>

Paul Keith:
(via Lifehacker)

Pros:

Simple to use
Exportable records
Online sync with Google Calendar
Offline sync with Outlook
MacOSX and Windows

Cons:

(Confusing terminology for casual users)

Ex.

If you're a single user, you're still called a customer.

If you open the projects screen you still have a calculated project time screen + task screen.

If you open the task screen, you also have an optional hourly rate settings.

For those who know how to work around these, it make sense. For someone like me who's never been in a corporate project before, it's all so confusing. I'm not really sure what value all the reporting, pop-up comment box and hourly rates are for. It's avoidable but it still seems like I can't fully unlock the program for myself so I slink back to Activity Tracker's simplistic interface and just manually insert an entry on to Google Calendar.

Note: The zip extracts two folders. One for MacOsX and the other for windows just called timeredition. This holds true for the Windows version. Just ignore the Mac folder and go to the timer edition folder and click on the .exe to install.

SKesselman:
Paul,
Nice find!
Unfortunately, I followed the LH link & tried to d/l this twice from sourceforge.net and once from a mirror they posted, all for nothing.

The download links say Windows, but the files are for a Mac...grrrr.....but that's always been my experience with SF. Missing files, missing projects, wrong files, files that need other files to open them (but it's not mentioned, of course), jars, rars, blah blah blah...

Back to the topic though, I was really excited about the possibility of having a timer for Outlook.  I also wanted to see what you meant by not being able to unlock it for yourself, & see if there was anything I could do to help you out.

If you ever find another timer that works with Outlook, please post it again. :Thmbsup:

Paul Keith:
Thanks Skesselman, there's actually two folders the zip extracts. One of them is for MacOSX and the other is for Windows.

The Mac folder should have an underscore before it's folder name. You just go to the timeredition folder and click on the .exe

Sorry for forgetting to point that out.

If that doesn't work Taskblaze also works with Outlook but it hangs after you've inputted something. (though I didn't try timeredition with Outlook)

SKesselman:
No, the mirror download from San Jose is garbage.
It crashes FF (last night and today) & the rest of this twisted mess of a "download" is not worth the time to explain.

Even the direct download is confusing.
There is already a file with the same name as the folder you've specified' but I did not name that file and I did not name any folders. Timer has since been tossed  :)

Edit: proofed later (repeating myself)

Paul Keith:
Ouch! I'm sorry about your experience. I used Firefox on mine using DownThemAll and it went well for me so I didn't realize it could be troublesome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version