ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help! My new computer is freezing!

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
So izzu unfroze or whut? :o

BTW: Did a quick Google on this. The problem seems to be  documented on other mobos, so it now appears to be more of a Windows issue than a BIOS/Chipset issue.. MS has a hotfix which may or may not have some bearing on what's going on with you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950616

This problem occurs when a thread of the Portcls.sys file tries to reacquire a spin-lock if an I/O request packet (IRP) is canceled at certain points in its processing. The thread has two locks. Therefore, a deadlock results.
--- End quote ---

Otherwise, consensus seems to be to disble onboard sound and go with a separate sound card. One example below:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/f96/bsod-caused-portcls-sys-34588.html
I'm occasionally getting a BSOD on PORTCLS.SYS which I believe is a WinXP Pro sound system driver. I'm using the onboard sound and WinXP Pro is a fresh install only last weekend. Anyone else hear of this?
--- End quote ---

superboyac:
Well, here's what's happened so far.  I don't always get a BSOD after the computer hangs, in fact, I get less than half the time.  But if there is a BSOD, there is no STOP code but the portcls.sys file is always there.  I've attached screenshots of the error windows at the bottom.  i don't know what that means.  So I tried some things last night and here's what happened:
--removed one of my sticks of ram.  after that, one of my games installed fine!  I thought that was it and the problem was solved.  But then i tried installing another game, and it hung immediately.  So problem still exists.  Also, just one time, the computer hung when I tried exiting Kaspersky, but I did it again successfully many times.

--I swapped the sticks of ram, didn't help.

--I did a memory test with memtest86+.  I completed 19 passes with no errors.

--If RAM is not the problem, something else is.  i don't know what else to do at this point.

--40hz, those links you mentioned, I think I've also run across them.  The difference with my problem is that the hangs are always happening during the installation.  Once installed, the games work fine.

Screenshots:

mouser:
as 40hz says, try disabling the onboard sound chip from bios, see if that cures the problem.

superboyac:
as 40hz says, try disabling the onboard sound chip from bios, see if that cures the problem.
-mouser (February 07, 2009, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
I did that one a while back, it didn't work.  I'll try again.

superboyac:
nope, that didn't work...unless i should disable it from within windows as well.  I haven't tried that.  I don't think it's that portcls.sys thing because the computer has hung like 10 times in a row now without a blue screen and th event id shows nothing about that portcls.sys.

What I'm going to try now try copying a couple of gigabytes of various sized files from my d drive to my c drive and see if anything happens.  Why it only happens to game isntallations is beyond me.  The only reason i can think of is because game iinstallations are much much bigger than anything else i install.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version