Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 25, 2014, 09:56:41 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Please tallk me off the ledge... Intervention needed!  (Read 9606 times)
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 12:38:33 PM »

If you’re ruinnig SATA in your notebook
Now that would be naughty ...
I originally read that as "ruining Satan" smiley

- carpe noctem
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »

an' eef you do ruinn thees Satan, eSATA sin?

Chris
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »

If you’re ruinnig SATA in your notebook
Now that would be naughty ...
I originally read that as "ruining Satan" smiley

embarassed Running! Please see sig...

Hey! What happened to my sig? It's still there when I check my profile?!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:19:34 PM by Darwin » Logged

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
wreckedcarzz
Charter Member

Happy wolfie ^_^

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »

Alright, I'll nag away at my parents for that RAM. I do need to get the monitor fixed, though... It's really strange, solid metal (or iron, or solid something silver) just snapped like a twig...

Laptop image (uploaded @ ImageShack due to resolution constraints, click for full size image):
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:24:41 PM by wreckedcarzz » Logged

New website! With a fancy domain name and everything! *gasp*
http://www.wreckedcarzz.com/
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 03:17:25 PM »

an' eef you do ruinn thees Satan, eSATA sin?
 (see attachment in previous post)

Holy Crap, Chris! You're on fire... How'd I miss this one when you first posted it? AWESOME

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 03:18:20 PM »

Alright, I'll nag away at my parents for that RAM. I do need to get the monitor fixed, though... It's really strange, solid metal (or iron, or solid something silver) just snapped like a twig...

(I'll post a picture here in a couple minutes)

Probably cast aluminium...

wreckedcarzz
Charter Member

Happy wolfie ^_^

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 03:25:01 PM »

Image uploaded

Laptop image (uploaded @ ImageShack due to resolution constraints, click for full size image):

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2009, 04:00:47 PM »

wreckedcarzz: please, instead of pesky ImageShack, just reduce the image to a lower resolution before attaching here? Anyway, looks pretty messy :-s

- carpe noctem
wreckedcarzz
Charter Member

Happy wolfie ^_^

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2009, 04:19:15 PM »

I'll start trimming and uploading to DC from now on- what's everyone's issue with IS anyways?

And yea, it is. My sister called me on my dad's cell phone and said "I broke your laptop." I come home and this is what happened, dunno how or why.

f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2009, 04:28:56 PM »

I'll start trimming and uploading to DC from now on- what's everyone's issue with IS anyways?
1) it's an external site, you're not guaranteed the images will stay forever
2) it needs javascript to serve you the images, and I don't want to permanently whitelist the *two* domains required
3) it's an external site, which is less convenient than simply clicking the thumbnail and have it expand here on DC
4) if you have to trim pics to post them at DC, it means the originals were too large tongue - not everybody are on high-speed broadband.

And yea, it is. My sister called me on my dad's cell phone and said "I broke your laptop." I come home and this is what happened, dunno how or why.
She doesn't remember how it happened? :-s

- carpe noctem
wreckedcarzz
Charter Member

Happy wolfie ^_^

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 07:40:52 PM »

Points noted.

It happened by her just opening the laptop and it snapping. It took *that* little tiny amount of force. That's whats puzzling.

steeladept
Supporting Member

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni & cheese for adults

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2009, 02:54:17 AM »

I have seen that before with a couple of HP laptops we had when I was doing deskside support.  Usually they are just little voids or other manufacturing defects in the cast aluminum.  Occasionally, with enough use/abuse, they just break.  For us, it was a simple call to HP since we have the support contracts for it.  If you can find the piece, it is REALLY easy to replace.  The hard part is getting the piece and at a reasonable price.  It looks like your laptop may be an HP/Compaq?  If so, be sure you get the correct side.  Those hinges (at least on our laptops) are not interchangeable from side to side.

Also, another note on image shack - proxies.  Our proxy blocks the site even if I wanted to allow access to it...not that I would ever look at this site during work hours, No, not that.... cheesy ohmy
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:56:37 AM by steeladept » Logged
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2009, 08:24:37 AM »

Brandon - I've replaced the hinges on my Compaq notebook cheaply through eBay... and it was eight years old at the time. Search for your model name and number and see how you get on...

wreckedcarzz
Charter Member

Happy wolfie ^_^

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »

Yea, its a Compaq NC6000 Business Laptop... I'll eBay it and see what comes up. Might get lucky. The warranty ran out so if I have to take it down to the local repair shop its all out of (my dad's) pocket... trying to avoid that.

Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 09:51:20 PM »

Yea, its a Compaq NC6000 Business Laptop... I'll eBay it and see what comes up. Might get lucky. The warranty ran out so if I have to take it down to the local repair shop its all out of (my dad's) pocket... trying to avoid that.

Shouldn’t be necessary - I’ve had mine completely disassembled and put it back together myself with no ill effect. Try to find a downloadable (pdf) copy of the service manual (DON'T pay someone for it - Compaq/HP provide them free of charge, you just have  to FIND it - I suggest checking out the notebook review forums. Someone there can probably send you a pdf version.

40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »

Shouldn’t be necessary - I’ve had mine completely disassembled and put it back together myself with no ill effect. Try to find a downloadable (pdf) copy of the service manual (DON'T pay someone for it - Compaq/HP provide them free of charge, you just have  to FIND it - I suggest checking out the notebook review forums. Someone there can probably send you a pdf version.

Manuals for the NC6000 can be found at this link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com...7&prodSeriesId=367367

Direct link for Maintenance & Service Guide:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com...c00725201%2Fc00725201.pdf

Luck Thmbsup

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:40:01 PM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
wreckedcarzz
Charter Member

Happy wolfie ^_^

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2009, 06:46:45 PM »

Thanks for the links.. I'll give it a go smiley

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.041s | Server load: 0.16 ]