ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tough Router Question

<< < (3/3)

Carol Haynes:
Another note on reset buttons and avoiding them being used - if you are sure you never want to use it just trickle super glue around the button so it seizes up. Just make sure the button isn't depressed while you do it ;)

raybeere:
As for packet sniffing I think for most people that is entering the realms of fantasy unless her room mate is a really knowledgeable hacker. Far more likely that the packets will be sniffed by malicious people on the internet!-Carol Haynes (February 06, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess I don't know enough about packet sniffing. It isn't exactly anything I've ever wanted to do, and so far I haven't written any high-tech spy / thriller stuff, so never needed to research it. So I just assumed it would be easier / more tempting to snoop on the computer right on the same network with the infected one. As far as how knowledgeable the hackers are who infected / will infect the roommate's computer, well, I suppose they don't need to know much. Just how to make a little button that says something like "Hot Action! Download Now!". ;D

Sorry if my post was confusing above - I thought the room mate would have access to the laptop too-Carol Haynes (February 06, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

:o This is a woman who is quite capable, if she needs a hammer, of picking up the laptop and using it to drive a nail. She's already done things like that - just not quite as costly. It has to be wireless so it can be removed from any area she has access to unless someone is actively using it. (No, I have no idea why my daughter puts up with her.)

PS - most routers are manageable remotely (at least all the ones I have seen are) so you can connect via the internet. You can also set them to email you with any changes made to router setting or other events. Check out the router settings.-Carol Haynes (February 06, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

But if it is reset to factory defaults, won't that wipe out the setting that tells it to e-mail someone when there are changes?

PPS - I suppose the reset button is present because mostly routers are either locked away or in the home where there isn't a real issue. If it didn't have a reset button and the settings got scrambled or corrupted (which happens) what would you do?
-Carol Haynes (February 06, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I understand why the button exists - what I don't understand is why there isn't some method of "flashing" the default settings, or at least one or two crucial ones, to allow you to set your own default password, for example. It would give the same functionality, with a lot more security.

Carol Haynes:
You can back up your settings to a file so you can restore them if you need to. Gluing the reset button would only cause a problem if you completely lost access to the router via the admin interface.

raybeere:
Thanks for the info. It gives me a few things to think about. Although considering what The Roommate is like, nothing that happens on her computer would be far-fetched. I think if she saw an offer for "Free Malware" she'd think that was a good thing and download it. ;D

If your sister is that concerned, the easiest thing to do would be to just order an additional DSL/Cable line and put The Roomate (hmmm...starting to sound like a movie title isn't it?) on a completely different router.-40hz (February 06, 2009, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I already thought of that. It would mean a lot less work for me, but poor little roomie would have to pay for the extra Internet connection, which for some reason is presumed to be a bad thing. (Not by me...) My daughter and son-in-law are trying to be nice; they feel bad for the woman. I can't fault them for that. But I do think the woman takes advantage of that. Which is something I'm powerless to do anything about, since I'm assuming any reprogrammable entity would be smarter than that.  ;D

raybeere:
You can back up your settings to a file so you can restore them if you need to. Gluing the reset button would only cause a problem if you completely lost access to the router via the admin interface.
-Carol Haynes (February 06, 2009, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, the glue idea is a great one! I already save my settings to a file: one of the first rules of computing I've learned is the one that says: "If you spent any time and effort at all on it - back it up!"

Although, come to think of it, I did lose access to the admin interface on my router once, after a lightning storm. (Yes, I use surge protection. It doesn't seem to have been enough, in this case.) I had to reset to get access so I could restore my settings: but on the other hand, in another month or so, that router just turned belly up and died. A sudden power outage left its replacement unstable - that's why I got a router I could put Tomato in, hoping that would prove a more stable firmware. At least from what I've heard, it is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version