ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why Computers Can't Kill Post-Its - MIT research

(1/5) > >>

patteo:
"Why Computers Can't Kill Post-Its
Lee Gomes, 01.22.09, 12:01 AM EST
MIT researchers argue that computers need to become as easy to use as those yellow sticky notes."
http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/21/postits-digital-tools-tech-intel-cz_lg_0122postits.html

I thought this article may benefit all those To Do List & PIM fanatics that lurk around Donationcoder looking for the Ultimate Software to take care of this problem for them.

It is instructive that it mentions

""A lot of people spend a lot of time trying to figure out cool new things for computers to do," Karger says. "What's more interesting to me is figuring out how to get the computer out of the way.""
http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/21/postits-digital-tools-tech-intel-cz_lg_0122postits.html

It's even got a free Firefox extension (Oh dear another extension) :

"One stab at such a program is list.it, just released by Karger and his students. To the casual observer, the program looks like any of the legion of notepad programs on the market already--some of which are built into the Windows and Macintosh operating system."

Karger said, though, that list.it was written with the lessons learned from the Post-it study in mind, including the need for the program to be started with absolute minimal effort.

List.it is available at http://groups.csail.mit.edu/haystack/listit/ and requires the latest version of the Firefox Web browser. Karger says he considers the program more of a research project than a finished product. It's free for the taking, though users are strongly encouraged to send in their reactions to the code after spending time with it. You can even write the comments on a Post-it and fax them in.

I must add that I signed up but did not yet try it.

But it may interest some of you here.

SKesselman:
Thanks! This is of particular interest to me.
This author of this article hit the nail on the head...these are some reasons I use post-its, but there are more.

I love where it tells about the guy with Post-its on his mobile phone-
Mobile Outlook can be a pain, and for all of these little problems they have software to make it easier...
but that software has problems, bugs, etc. and even attempting to solve those problems can bring on more problems (unresponsive customer service, being forced to search forums for help when you don't have time, etc.).

And that's just mobile devices. It gets even messier when I try to use a PC for to-do lists (for items not directly related to the computer itself, or major projects that require more thought than a regular to-do).

There's just no substitution for the Post-it.

app103:
There's just no substitution for the Post-it.
-SKesselman (February 05, 2009, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I totally agree, and that's one of the secrets to my whole way of organizing my mind. It's mostly in post-it notes, both the paper and digital kind. (digital ones can have alarms to remind you to read them, unlike paper)

As a matter of fact, I was just adding more to my collection when you were posting your reply:

Why Computers Can't Kill Post-Its - MIT research

(these are all links to free books that I am going to make blog posts about)

I never tried to fax one of these digital ones before (don't even know if I can). I have emailed them, sent them by MSN, attached them to Word docs, and sent them over the LAN to my daughter's desktop, but not yet ever faxed one.

40hz:
Very cool article. (I signed up.)

I've always been a big fan of Post-It notes. One of the best uses I've found is to use them in combination with a whiteboard for brainstorming or mapping out a project. You get the advantage of being able to easily rearrange major items without rewriting, while still being able to use the whiteboard to add minor notes and  "connect the dots."

Best of both worlds IMHO. :Thmbsup:

SKesselman:
WOW! That's a dizzying array of virtual post-its, app103!  ;D  :Thmbsup:

Hmm...never tried faxing a paper one either, (Edit: Oops, that's not what you were talking about)
but I'm sure with the appropriate faxing application on your PC, you could easily fax your virtual post-its!

I use Quick Notes, to stick to files, folders & certain windows in certain applications. Saves me a lot of trouble. I use the title as an instruction label such as, "Do not rename this file", then type the reason why in the post-it area (I won't even follow my own instructions without a good reason  ;D).

As for tasks/reminders/instructions for others I see in person, the paper post-it gets my vote.
This way, you can physically hand it to them ('Don't say I never told you'!) or post at the area needing attention, like home repairs, etc.

The recipient may not always like it too much, but it works for me  :).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version