ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Hound: a grep-alike that searches inside PDFs

(1/8) > >>

rjbull:
I'm a big fan of BareGrep Pro by Bare Metal Software, a truly excellent visual grep.  I didn't expect much when I downloaded the freeware Hound from Jimmy the Fork.  Indeed it won't replace BareGrep Pro.  But I was impressed when I turned it loose on a directory that happened to have some PDFs in it, and found Hound's status bar saying things like "Examining PDF", "Converting PDF to plain text," and giving a grep-like posting. I don't know how it does it, and didn't check for absolute accuracy, but the set of results it gave looked right.

Nice bit of humour on that site, too.  E.g., his duplicate file finder is called Dolly, with a picture of a sheep   :)

40hz:
Nice find. It ripped through a 1.23GB directory of 43K files (doc/html/txt/pdf) without a hiccup. :Thmbsup:

Liked the sheep pic. Wonder if it really is Dolly. ;D

Darwin:
Nice find. It ripped through a 1.23GB directory of 43K files (doc/html/txt/pdf) without a hiccup. :Thmbsup:

-40hz (February 05, 2009, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe it's a clone... ?

40hz:

--- End quote ---

Maybe it's a clone... ?
-Darwin (February 05, 2009, 01:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

(Cloned laughter!)

PhilB66:

--- End quote ---

Maybe it's a clone... ?
-Darwin (February 05, 2009, 01:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure looks like Dolly (in my eyes all sheep do).

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/antenna/dolly/121.asp

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version