ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Web Page Layout Debate: Tables vs. CSS

<< < (2/4) > >>

f0dder:
40hz: or using mobile devices... or text-based browsers.

justice:
or rejigging layout for printing without a seperate print page for every page on your site, or for redesign.. and it's degrades gracefully.
I can recommend Designing with Webstandards if you want to know more / open your eyes to this css over tables discussion. The whole first part of the book deals with the WHY question in an excellent writeup.

The only reason not to use it is because it can be more effort, but only in certain cases. designing for css layout is not more work than tables. What is the new information that causes this debate all over again? the benefits have been proven.
Why use Cascading Style Sheets?

1. By editing a single CSS file, you can make sitewide design changes in seconds.
   2. CSS lets you output to multiple formats quickly.
   3. CSS lets you use logical names for page elements. You can, for example, give a DIV the name "header", or a H1 the class "headline". It's self-describing.
   4. External CSS files are cached by browsers, improving load time.
   5. CSS eliminates the need for messy code -- namely font tags, spacer gifs and nested tables. This improves load time and makes developers' lives easier.
   6. CSS lets you do things normal HTML doesn't. Examples: better font control, absolute positioning, nifty borders.
   7. Practical use of CSS encourages proper HTML structure, which will improve accessibility and search engine placement.
   8. CSS's :hover PseudoClass cuts down on the need to use JavaScript onmouseover calls.
   9. If you want valid XHTML Strict you have to use it anyway

--- End quote ---
more info at http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=WhyCss

Gothi[c]:
the benefits have been proven.

--- End quote ---

Yes, the benifits are real, so are the nightmares. It's a tradeoff either way. Both systems suck. I vote for a 3rd option. Someone wake me up when there is one.

justice:
flash :P

Gothi[c]:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version