ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How much trouble is a 64-bit OS right now?

<< < (9/11) > >>

f0dder:
What a partition maps to while Windows is running has nothing to do with the partition itself. The issue is that the Win7 installer of course overwrites your MBR bootcode (like all new Windows versions does), and that it doesn't included previous versions in it's boot manager - but you should be able to add those by hand with the bcdedit program.

hollowlife1987:
What a partition maps to while Windows is running has nothing to do with the partition itself. The issue is that the Win7 installer of course overwrites your MBR bootcode (like all new Windows versions does), and that it doesn't included previous versions in it's boot manager - but you should be able to add those by hand with the bcdedit program.
-f0dder (February 24, 2009, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am currently triple booting flawlessly.  I do not remember if I installed XP SP3 first or Win 7 Beta x64, but I am pretty sure I did XP.  I also have Win 7 Beta x86 installed and I can easily boot into the XP install using Win 7's boot loader, it asks for earlier versions of windows upon start up.

f0dder:
When I installed Win7 on my testbox which additionally has Vista64, it certainly didn't add Vista64 to the bootloader - haven't gone through the "trouble" of adding Vista64 back, but it shouldn't really be a problem.

justice:
The DRM issues are still a little unclear, but, for instance, a user may no longer be able to record off the sound card unless Win 7 recognizes an identifiable tag of some sort.
-OldElmerFudd (February 23, 2009, 08:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's not correct this seems to be a driver issue for a few users, nothing regarding W7.
UPDATE: As noted by Ars Technica and many commenters, sound capture capabilities will vary from card to card, system to system, so one user's findings may not bear out for others. Apologies for confusion or disbelief—I tried to word it more as a water-testing thought than the Gospel Truth.-http://lifehacker.com/5154968/windows-7-seemingly-blocks-audio-capture
--- End quote ---

40hz:
I hope the DRM situation is either FUDdy rumors or something that's going to be rectified,
-f0dder (February 22, 2009, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Seems to be FUD. Turns out that whole "draconian DRM" post got pretty much ripped to shreds on Slashdot and the tech blogs.

Which is good. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version