ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How much trouble is a 64-bit OS right now?

<< < (2/11) > >>

hpearce:
in general I am happy with my 64 bit windows ... on ocassion there are programs I can't install.... I would say what is most noticeable is the lack of 64-bit compatable extensions.  Some of my favorite shell extensions are only available with a 32-bit file manager.

mouser:
If you have some old hardware (scanners, etc.) you need to make sure there are good drivers for them if they are important to you.  many old scanners and other specialty hardware have not been updated with x64 drivers.

Curt:
IMHO: Using 64-bit Linux for anything other than a very specialized high-performance singleton server doesn't make much sense. And to really gain the benefit, you'd also need to code your application up in native 64-bit, along with whatever libraries it would call.

The problem with 64-bit Linux is that it is not full 64-bit binary from front to back. Most of the applications, and virtually all of the libraries included in a "64-bit" distro are still 32-bit.
-40hz (February 03, 2009, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

However, there seems to be some Linux versions running 64-bits fine:

In the beginning only certain Linux distributions were capable of properly using 64-bit systems,
 -start64
--- End quote ---
http://www.start64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=100&Itemid=61&limit=1&limitstart=4

KenR:
I run into lots of problems with software on Vista x64. Software won't run, it crashes or hangs, features don't work, etc.

Ken

justice:
Been using Vista 64 bit for several  months because I have 4GB ram and with 32bit I would only have about 3 to 3.5GB left as Windows will reserve the reset as address space  video card and other system devices. So if you have over 3gb of ram then 64bit makes sense especially on Vista as that's more memory to preload programs into.

I'd say for 95% of all users it's fine to use and I think people should move to 64bit as their RAM increases. The only 2 problem areas are sandbox software (which can't run with patchguard, so no sandboxie for example (waiting on Comodo DiskShield)- run a virtual pc) and if you are a musician or digital dj then good luck finding a supported audio interface that has drivers for 64bit - which I am just running into this week. Also unlocker doesn't have a 64bit version yet. Still working on that one.

But in practice don't let it stop you - 'All' 32bit software works fine, 'all' security software has version for Vista 64bit and 'all' games work. And no I wouldn't say 64bit is faster in practice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version