ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Suggestions for a Quick & Easy ircd for my private LAN

(1/3) > >>

tinjaw:
I have a 4-node Windows LAN here at work and I want to run our own ircd so we can use irc internally for communications. Any hint or tips to quickly and easily setting up an irc daemon?

Ehtyar:
The most popular for startups, and arguably the easiest to configure is probably UnrealIRCd. If you'd like services, Anope goes well with it. There's also ratbox/hybrid, which has been used by EFNet since the dawn of time and is probably best used without services. I've also played with UnrealIRCd a few years back, but found it to be buggy and lacking decent windows integration/features.

Ehtyar.

housetier:

If you want easier configuration I would suggest openfire which is a jabber server. Jabber has group chats/conference rooms.

housetier:
Oh yeah: and we also use it at our club: all members automatically have a jabber account :)

openfire has been remarkably stable; our admax (that's how we call our admins) are very happy with it.

40hz:
(see attachment in previous post)
If you want easier configuration I would suggest openfire which is a jabber server. Jabber has group chats/conference rooms.
-housetier (February 03, 2009, 07:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! Just browsed the webpage for Openfire Server.

Looks like a very nice package. I'm going to have to download a copy and do a test run with this little beastie.

(Hey! They even have readable documentation!!! :-*)

Thanks for pointing it out, Mr. H. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version