ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (147/192) > >>

tomos:
I've found the bookmark Print Friendly instead. It is by far The Best virtual printer I so far have tried - and MUCH better than any desktop "Print to pdf" I know of! It is free, and this can make you wonder why, so I went to their About -page:
-Curt (July 15, 2015, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

works great :up:
I see you can also embed it in a webpage - http://www.printfriendly.com/button

Still not clear how it's free though - there is mention of a Pro version  and subscription on the support page - "Pro - Ad Free and White Label Service" but it's not clear what exactly you're paying for,** nor even clear how to purchase.

**  "Ad Free"? Have you seen ads?

Curt:
I think their wording merely is meant to hold some doors open, and maybe shot any other door.

ewemoa:
I didn't succeed in determining whether this can work offline -- my impression is that it requires communication with their site.

Is that correct?

Curt:
you're right, ewemoa, the one I was recommending is only a bookmarklet button on your browser's panel, so it cannot work offline. Their server on their site is doing the job, but it is doing it very well  ;-) The other one, mentioned by Tom, is for your homepage, (read http://www.printfriendly.com/button), but of course also going to their site, http://www.printfriendly.com

IainB:
Details of some useful stuff for blocking/deleting garbage and cookies in Firefox:

* BetterPrivacy: a useful extension that removes LSOs in Firefox, as described below:
Remove or manage a new and uncommon kind of cookies, better known as LSO's.The BetterPrivacy safeguard offers various ways to handle Flash-cookies set by Google, YouTube, Ebay and others...

--- End quote ---

* Cookienator: this is not an Add-On, but a program. I use it in Windows at start-up and occasionally throughout the day.  It removes cookies simultaneously from these browsers and Flash local storage:

* IE
* Firefox
* Google Chrome
* Safari
* Flash local storageNote: You can manually add extra domains to the list it has, to block cookies from - e.g., facebook.com

* Blocked Add-Ons in Firefox: this is an informative list maintained by Mozilla and which Carol Haynes linked to in a post many pages earlier - here,

* Privacy Badger: from eff.org blocks spying ads and invisible trackers.

* Self-Destructing Cookies: if you already had this Firefox Add-on, you may find (as I did) that it had been mysteriously deleted without telling you, presumably as part of what seems to be have been a "registration" scam that Firefox has apparently been quietly operating against selected add-ons recently. You can see why this particular add-on might be "unwanted" by Mozilla's sponsors, as it is so effective in automatically clearing cookies left on your hard drive after you leave the website that just wrote those cookies to your drive.    :o
All the more reason for reinstalling that particular add-on and any others deleted by Mozilla in like fashion, and for looking for an alternative browser developer that doesn't play these sorts of games against its users. To protect yourself, keep a list of your add-ons, so you can refer to it periodically to see what has been removed. If you use Extension List Dumper, that would give you a list and the file location for the add-ons, so you could retrieve it from back-ups. If you use  FEBE, CLEO or OPIE, then you can just restore the deleted add-ons right away.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version