ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (137/192) > >>

IainB:
Useful/informative post on Lifehacker.com: ]Everyone's Trying to Track What You Do on the Web: Here's How to Stop Them[/u]

It covers FF extensions and other browsers.
The main FF ones recommended include: AdBlockPlus, Ghostery, NoScript.
I found the link whilst reading the sage advice in this Lifehacker post: Why You Probably Shouldn't Look Up Health Symptoms Online

4wd:
My main anti-tracking add-ons in order of effectiveness, (most effective at top), would probably be:
RefControl - Works before you land on a site.
Request Policy - Works when you are on a site.
Self-Destructing Cookies - Works after you've left a site.
Bluhell Firewall - Picks up the odd link you click on that goes via a marketing/tracking site, (eg. doubleclick.com).
Ghostery
AdBlock Latitude

Ghostery and AdBlock are only really useful while on a site to stop visual annoyances, Request Policy catches anything requiring 3rd party site communication.

These are all only really useful during a browsing session, (I don't have a disk-based cache).

Besides all that: Router based ad blocking

MilesAhead:
Self-Destructing Cookies[/url] - Works after you've left a site.
-4wd (March 05, 2015, 06:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

For a time I used ToolWiz Time Freeze mainly for browsing protection.  The scheme(in case anyone reading is not familiar with it) is to use Shadow Services to redirect system partition disk writes to a cache file.  Upon reboot the cache is erased and the system partition is as it was.  But it occurred to me that while I was browsing, the tracking cookies where still tracking.

Is there a good preventive that doesn't hobble the browsing experience?

4wd:
Turn off Third Party Cookies in the Firefox options - I think I only ever came across one or two sites that wouldn't work unless it was enabled so it was easier just not to go to those sites.

Otherwise, Self-Destructing Cookies is probably good enough, turn on the Strict Cookie Policy and reduce the cookie kill time to something short.

MilesAhead:
Turn off Third Party Cookies in the Firefox options - I think I only ever came across one or two sites that wouldn't work unless it was enabled so it was easier just not to go to those sites.

Otherwise, Self-Destructing Cookies is probably good enough, turn on the Strict Cookie Policy and reduce the cookie kill time to something short.
-4wd (March 06, 2015, 08:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tips.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version