topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 765973 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Document Font Toggle
« Reply #650 on: September 19, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Since I still have fuzzy text issues on my Toshiba I found one means to deal with it in Firefox at least.  It's Document Font Toggle

It's quite simple.  Set your custom default font in Firefox.  Check to allow sites to choose their own fonts.  When the site text looks bad hit the toolbar button to use the default instead.  I find a heavy font like Arial Black easy to read even if the page is a bit blurry.

Edit:  anyone have a favorite font for forum type web sites?  Arial Black I can see but the heaviness makes everything look unread.  Something crisp for text body as well as subject line.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:35 PM by MilesAhead »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #651 on: October 15, 2014, 06:09 AM »
Started using "View as text" -- handy for viewing certain files right in the browser instead of having to save them first and then open them to take a look...

Haven't figured out if it's possible to type something into the address field and have this add-on do its thing after typing "Enter" -- at the moment, have to find a link to right-click on...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #652 on: October 17, 2014, 05:48 AM »
With the release of Firefox 1.5 Final, I find myself more willing to explore Firefox once again.  Only problem is, we all know it takes at least 10 extensions to achieve the features of an Opera or Maxthon

It's a pity they butchered MaxThon user written extensions.  MT II had a vibrant community contributing their own features.  Now I don't even want to try III with the signature official extension crap.  The virus paranoia has ruined the web for sure.  :(

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #653 on: October 17, 2014, 05:53 AM »
Firefox 1.5 Final
Wasn't that released somewhere in 2005? Looks like waaaay off the charts here... (iow: possible spam? )

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #654 on: October 17, 2014, 10:02 AM »
Firefox 1.5 Final
Wasn't that released somewhere in 2005? Looks like waaaay off the charts here... (iow: possible spam? )

I guess it wasn't that final after all?  Up to v 33 now.  :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #655 on: November 19, 2014, 02:46 PM »
I have just installed CanvasBlocker :: Add-ons for Firefox as it looks potentially useful (and I have seen nothing else that does this), per: How to block Canvas Fingerprinting in Firefox browser, where it says:
Archaic methods of tracking users via cache and cookies mechanisms are always there. But of late, there has been a new invasive method for tracking users across the Internet – Canvas fingerprinting. The mechanism takes advantage of the Canvas API in modern browsers, which interacts with a computer’s graphics chip and allows users to play games and interact with webpages. Here, invisible images are delivered to the browser with malicious intentions and then sent back to the server with a “fingerprint” of the computer and location.

If you are a Firefox user, spare few minutes and read this post, chances of you falling prey to this web’s trickiest privacy threat could be reduced if not removed to a large extent. ... (read more at the link)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #656 on: November 19, 2014, 10:50 PM »
Nice find...and nasty tracking.

Thanks for sharing!

Some related links of interest:

Canvas Fingerprinting Wikipedia Page
  The Web never forgets Paper Home Page
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 10:59 PM by ewemoa »

Sheirstles

• Visitor
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #657 on: November 30, 2014, 08:10 AM »
I have released a new version of OperaView (0.7) which works with Firefox 3.5.x.
Download it from http://operaview.mozdev.org/ or https://addons.mozilla.or...en-US/firefox/addon/1190/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #658 on: December 04, 2014, 04:35 PM »
I have released a new version of OperaView (0.7) which works with Firefox 3.5.x

-this is one of those situations that makes me spin around myself, saying erhh, but... how is... ehh, but ... what is... ehh 

@Sheirstles.
OperaView version 0.7 by Bartosz Piec has been on the market for approx. 5 years, all of the time as version 0.7. The text from year 2009 on both MozDev and Mozilla is saying what you even are repeating: "version 0.7 now works with Firefox 3.5". And yet, it was just updated - but is still listed as the same old version 0.7, dated 2009. How is that possible? __?__ Is it merely a necessary trick, maybe because of some annoying Mozilla rule, to update your fine application, as easy as possible?, or how come it still is version 0.7 from 2009?? -
And why the heck do you list Firefox version 3.5, but not any new version?

--------------------
The proper Mozilla link is https://addons.mozil...fox/addon/operaview/

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #659 on: December 29, 2014, 01:30 PM »
It doesn't look like Tile Tabs has been mentioned in this thread yet (apologies if it's common knowledge). I've just discovered it today and like it a lot. Their customisation options are impressive. I need it for splitting a WorkFlowy page vertically in FF.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox Extensions - Tab Set Saver with Tab Mix Plus to create url pic page
« Reply #660 on: February 03, 2015, 09:41 AM »
Hi,

Now that I have a faster puter (Dell Optiplex 990 -Windows 7 with 10 GB memory) I find that more extensions are fine.  Firefox still crashes sometimes,  but I just bring it back up. And if I anticipate a problem, I do a Restart (e.g. extension Restartless Restart).  And I keep an external Firefox kill shortcut nearby that uses PsKill. And Session Manager.  

The first 10 are the most fundamental, basic extensions are:

Linkman (although I use the Dropbasket)
Tab Mix Plus
Restaratless Restart
Session Manager
All-in-One Sidebar
Download Manager S3
Lazarus
LastPass
Open IT Online
Cleanest AddonManager and/or Slim Add-ons Manager
Telify and Skype Click-to-call
FEBE-CLEO
Avast Online Security and Bluhell Firewall.
unmask and/or Unhide Passwords.  
Quickjava
The Add-on Bar (restored)
Internote
Tab Counter

Considering Diigo
There are a bunch more installed that I am considering and a bunch more I am considering to install!

Hmm... Now I'll have to really read the thread!

======================================

Here is my current tweak.

Tab Set Saver and Tab Mix Plus

Normally I have TMP at five rows. For this tweak I may set it higher.  First I do my normal stuff of setting up a page of many related open windows, in this example it is Windows Tweaks. I move any oddball stuff out. Then I save it as a set using TSS to a special folder on disk.  Then delete the window.  Then bring up the TSS page up. (On the TSS extension discussion, I suggested automating these steps.) I can then have multiple related TSS pages. Voila!  25+ visual links grouped together in one open page. Memory minimal and organization assistance.  This can be done with my main work and social pages as well, as an alternative to Xerpi and other bookmark and Start Page ideas.

If you have tools that accomplish this type of idea better, please share away :).

This creates a simple .html file, which I can also upload.

tweaks.jpg

Steven
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:51 AM by Steven Avery »

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #661 on: February 03, 2015, 12:16 PM »
CookieKeeper is a replacement for CookieCuller, which I've depended on for years to manage cookies on Firefox.

According to the developer, CookieKeeper started out as an attempt to update CookieCuller, but evolved into a complete rewrite, with many more features than the original, including an excellent cookie editor.

Very nice.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #662 on: February 09, 2015, 02:08 PM »

Copy Urls Expert

I just tried this one.  It's great for making a file of Urls that will work with BrowserBunch.  Much neater than the keyboard macro I wrote.  I can create the Url set file in Firefox or CometBird, then use BrowserBunch if I should want to open it in Opera or Chromium.   :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #663 on: February 25, 2015, 05:20 PM »
I could not get FVD SpeedDial to import dials in FF 36.0.  I tried a couple of others and hit on Super Start

I'm starting to really like it.  It is simple and the page loads fast when set as Home Page.  It's extremely easy to make groups or catagories of dials.  Drag a dial into a similar one and it creates a group.  Click the Rename Group to name it.

Another thing I like is left click by default opens the dial in another tab in the background.

This Firefox install is only a couple of days old.  I hope it reacts as snappy when it's a couple of months old.  :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Use of Firefox Sync to sync add-ons + etc. + Greasemonkey scripts.
« Reply #664 on: February 26, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Thought this might be of interest/use - I originally posted it in another part of the DC Forum:
(Note that Sync is enabled/disabled via the Tools | Options menu.)
...More often than not once you run a few FF in various places sync just scrambles everything into a pile

When I read that, I thought I should mention that my experience of using FF (Beta update channel) is that, quite to the contrary to what you stated, FF Sync works like a charm.
The only real problem I have had with FF tends to be what is an apparently common recurring problem that, on the beta update channel, with all the frequent updates, FF performance tends to occasionally decline/misbehave to the extent that the only way to fix it is to start FF up in base form (i.e., without any add-ons, etc.), and then re-install all the add-ons and Greasemonkey scripts etc. manually. I got the advice to do that from some helpful forum/blog posts, and it turned out to be good advice.
However, there was a real problem with following that advice - you are then forced into a seriously tedious exercise of manually re-installing all the add-ons and other stuff, which is a proverbial PITA.

I discovered that I was able to automate it all (except for Greasemonkey scripts) through the use of FF Sync, which automatically re-installs all the add-ons and other stuff (e.g., including bookmarks) that you can choose to sync. You may have to manually reset some settings, but that's about it.
However, I had to reinstall the Greasemonkey scripts manually, which was another PITA. Then at some stage a Greasemonkey update introduced an option to "Enable Firefox Sync for User Scripts", so that got rid of the PITA.

FF Sync has been operating thus, apparently faultlessly, for me and for a long time. I changed to the latest version of FF Sync some time back when they first introduced it. Sync has enabled me to sync FF smoothly across 3 computers, even with up to 3 different users sharing/syncing things like the FF bookmarks on those computers. FF Sync is pretty smart.
The only surprising thing I find about FF Sync is that it doesn't scramble the stuff up.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox (Pale Moon) Extensions used by @4wd.
« Reply #665 on: February 26, 2015, 02:18 PM »
At the risk of duplication I thought it might be useful to cross-post this recent, and rather relevant and informative comment from @4wd:
(Thanks @4wd - there are some extensions there that look quite handy and that I don't think I have tried out yet, so I shall get busy.)
Tnx. Any particular add-ons you would recommend?  :)

I have the following installed in Pale Moon x64 (non-portable):

- Advanced URL Builder 1.6.29
   Append selected text to the URL of your favourite site.
- Bluhell Firewall 2.5.0
   Lightweight Ad-Blocker and Tracking/Privacy Protector.
- Download Statusbar 0.9.10
   View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar
- DownloadHelper 4.9.24
   Download videos and images from many sites
- DownThemAll! 2.0.18
   The mass downloader for Firefox.
- Extension List Dumper 1.15.2
   Dumps a list of the installed extensions.
- Form History Control 1.4.0.2
   Manage Form History (view, edit, delete, clean-up, export/import)
- Ghostery 5.4.1
- Google search link fix 1.4.9
   Prevents Google, Yahoo and Yandex search pages from modifying search result links when you click them. This is useful when copying links but it also helps privacy by preventing the search engines from recording your clicks.
- Greasemonkey 1.15
   A User Script Manager for Firefox
- Lightbeam 1.0.10.2
   Lightbeam is a Firefox add-on that allows you to see the third parties that are collecting information about your browsing activity, with and without your consent. Using interactive visualizations, Lightbeam shows you the relationships between these third parties and the sites you visit.
- Master Password+ 1.21.3
   Various enhancements for built-in "Master Password" feature
- Open RegEdit Key 0.2.0
   Open selected registry in the registry editor from context menu.
- RefControl 0.8.17
   Control what gets sent as the HTTP Referer on a per-site basis.
- RequestPolicy 1.0.beta8.2
   Control which cross-site requests are allowed. Improve the privacy of your browsing. Secure yourself from Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF) and other attacks.
- Self-Destructing Cookies 0.4.6
   Fix the web. Gets rid of a site's cookies and LocalStorage as soon as you close its tabs. Protects against trackers and zombie-cookies. Trustworthy services can be whitelisted.
- Speed Dial [FVD] - New Tab Page, Sync... 6.7.2
   FVD Speed Dial - Speed dial button, Online Synchronization, New Tab Start Page, Organize bookmarks, Custom backgrounds, custom dials, organized groups, most visited dials.
- Stylish 2.0.1
   Restyle the web with Stylish, a user styles manager.
- Suspend Tab 0.2.2014050201
   Suspends background old tabs automatically to save memory usage.
- Tab Mix Plus 0.4.1.6
   Tab browsing with an added boost.
- TinEye Reverse Image Search 1.1
   Adds TinEye search context menu item for images.
- TrashMail.com 2.7.1
   Create disposable email addresses.
- Vacuum Places Improved 1.2
   Defragment your places.sqlite database to speed-up Firefox

I could probably get rid of a couple since they seemed like a good idea at the time but I never use them.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #666 on: February 26, 2015, 03:49 PM »
Any chance we can desist from amending thread titles

If a thread needs a new title then it probably needs a new thread

I understand you might be trying to draw attention to something but it's very disruptive if you've been following a thread for a while (it makes it seem like your just trying to draw attention to your post)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #667 on: February 26, 2015, 04:39 PM »
(it makes it seem like your just trying to draw attention to your post)

why write a post, if it doesn't get any attention?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #668 on: February 26, 2015, 04:51 PM »
The only surprising thing I find about FF Sync is that it doesn't scramble the stuff up.
-IainB
I guess it depends how you use it.  But Mozilla has several requests like mine for overwrite variations of send and receive rather than just everything a merge.  How I was using it was to install FF in a VM, then set up sync to have all bookmarks and addons.  But I kept getting blowback to my Windows host OS FF.  Stuff like duplicate Bookmarks menu entries, and just a general mess.

The work-around was to kill the online account an create a new one.  Not very smooth.  I had similar problems with chromium sync.  I think it should work more like the SyncPlaces FF AddOn where you could send and receive with overwrite.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #669 on: February 26, 2015, 05:24 PM »
I think it should work more like the SyncPlaces FF AddOn where you could send and receive with overwrite.

In Firefox, Pale Moon, (and probably other Mozilla based versions), just select Sync Options when you're Creating/Linking and you can change what happens:

2015-02-27 10_18_00.jpg

So you can effectively have one master browser and all other iterations are slaves.

Or do you mean you only want to update some of your Firefox based browsers when you want rather than have them synchronised?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:57 PM by 4wd, Reason: I\'m stoopid :/ »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #670 on: February 26, 2015, 05:51 PM »
At the risk of duplication I thought it might be useful to cross-post this recent, and rather relevant and informative comment from @4wd:
(Thanks @4wd - there are some extensions there that look quite handy and that I don't think I have tried out yet, so I shall get busy.)

Your welcome, though quite a few came from mentions elsewhere in the forum.

I should point out that Lightbeam is rendered pretty much useless by my browser settings and other add-ons, ie.
Options -> No third party cookies
Options -> All cookies session only (which is actually pointless due to setting below)
about:config -> browser.cache.disk.enable = false
about:config -> browser.cache.disk.capacity = 0
RefControl
RequestPolicy

Means that Lightbeam almost always displays a series of disconnected sites.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #671 on: February 26, 2015, 10:27 PM »

The point wasn't about the content, it was about changing the title of someone else's thread without good reason

dunno about you but that doesn't seem like good forum etiquette to me :-\

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Off-topic discussion with thread moderator.
« Reply #672 on: February 27, 2015, 12:02 AM »
Any chance we can desist from amending thread titles
If a thread needs a new title then it probably needs a new thread
I understand you might be trying to draw attention to something but it's very disruptive if you've been following a thread for a while (it makes it seem like your just trying to draw attention to your post)

Sorry @Target, I did not intend to be "disruptive" and was only using the functionality built into this discussion board for our use, with the objective of focussing the comment subject line more specifically on the actual content of the post, so that people could get the sense of the content from the subject line without having to read the actual post.
Though I say so myself, I think I achieved that objective quite well with:
  • Use of Firefox Sync to sync add-ons + etc. + Greasemonkey scripts. - is exactly what that post was about.
  • Firefox (Pale Moon) Extensions used by @4wd. - is exactly what that post was about.

Otherwise, they might get somewhat lost in the unending series of posts entitled with the generic "Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful."
I do it because it's potentially helpful - for example, it's the sort of thing that I would find tremendously useful as I speed-scan my Bazqux feed-reader for posts that I might actually want to open and read.
I'm sure @mouser would have thought about the possibility of people doing this. Do you think he should block this feature?

The point wasn't about the content, it was about changing the title of someone else's thread without good reason
dunno about you but that doesn't seem like good forum etiquette to me :-\

Goodness!  :o  I had no idea that it might be de rigeur in this forum to leave subject lines well alone because they belonged to the OP originator, or something. Let me see, hmm, that's @vegas, if I'm not much mistaken - and who started the thread on: 2005-12-02, 00:32:44
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:11 AM by IainB »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #673 on: February 27, 2015, 01:31 AM »
IanB

I thought I was making a polite request to maintain the integrity of a thread (any thread)

That was, at least, my intention but it seems I've touched a nerve

If you choose to draw some other conclusion then that's certainly your prerogative but this isn't the place the discuss it

Sorry @Target, I did not intend to be "disruptive"

please reread my post.  I made no reference to anyone, and had that been my intention it would have been quite clear

...only using the functionality built into this discussion board for our use, with the objective of focussing the comment subject line more specifically on the actual content of the post, so that people could get the sense of the content from the subject line without having to read the actual post.

seems kind of redundant to me.  Writing a substantial description of an individual post in the subject line kind of defeats the purpose of writing the post.

Surely the subject line belongs to the thread?

they might get somewhat lost in the unending series of posts entitled with the generic "Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful."

Sorry but this comes across (to me) as if you think your posts are somehow more important or more relevant than the rest of 'the unending series of posts'

I'm sure @mouser would have thought about the possibility of people doing this. Do you think he should block this feature?

not sure what it is you think your asking me here or the relevance of this statement

Goodness!  :o  I had no idea that it might be de rigeur in this forum to leave subject lines well alone because they belonged to the OP originator, or something.

FWIW this threads been running for about 9 years (about!! that's really got to get up the noses of the pedants out there!!) so there is a history of continuity, regardless of who the OP is or was. 

let me be clear - I am not trying to be the arbiter of good behaviour here.  I don't have that right any more than anyone else here. 

I made a simple request, that's the end of.  If you feel it's justified you might comply, if not, you won't (I'm guessing the latter) but it's not that important.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #674 on: February 27, 2015, 05:37 AM »
[/url])[/i]
So you can effectively have one master browser and all other iterations are slaves.

Are you sure you're not using the old sync?  In the new one, effectively everything is a merge unless you delete the online db.  See mozilla forums for others saying the same.