ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (117/192) > >>

Curt:
To my surprise this works:
Simple Google Ads Remover
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162023
 :up:

but you will need Greasemonkey.

I find Google's search result pages becoming more and more crammed with spammy ads. The ads that are displayed near the top are NOT those that are relevant to my search, but instead they're the ads of those people who PAY Google the biggest sum of money!

I had enough, and Greasemonkey came to the rescue! I'd like to share this script with everyone. It's very simple - hides 4 areas on each search results page:

- hides the top ads block
- hides the right hand side ads column
- hides all DMCA notices
- hides the two rows of useless links at the bottom of page
-Simple Google Ads Remover
--- End quote ---

IainB:
@Curt: Good find.  :up:
Those top few ads in Google have long been a nuisance. I once had a script that highlighted those adds (with a red rectangle), but it only worked on google.co.uk (I think, from memory), and ABP can't seem to block just those elements.
I use DuckDuckGo as default tool for searching now (which also collects Google searches), but on the rare occasion that I might want to doublecheck a search on just Google, then I still find those top few ads annoying/distracting, and of no use, so I shall use this script.
Many thanks!

EDIT: Oh! It doesn't seem to work! Doesn't seem to do anything.

Curt:
a nifty Firefox extension called UpdateScanner-IainB (February 09, 2014, 04:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

?

Last Update: 2014-02-12.
This project has been taken offline, please contact SourceForge.net Support for assistance.
--- End quote ---
:tellme:

IainB:
I like to view links to documents online via Google Docs Viewer.
Having tried out different scripts, there are two that I have kept and found useful:

* View Word, Powerpoint, PDF and TIFF files with Google Docs Viewer for Greasemonkey
The author says that his script is derived from PDF/PPT/TIF viewer with Google docs for Greasemonkey

* gPDF - View Online PDF, Word, Excel and PowerPoint Files
Available as:

* Mozilla Firefox add-on.
* Google Chrome Extension
* Greasemonkey script (userscript).
* Opera Extension
The two scripts are not identical, but do overlap in function, so I use them both together. Both scripts work fine in Firefox, and seem to work OK if you leave them both switched ON (Enabled), though when I have done that (i.e, left them both ON) and I view a doc in G.Viewer, I sometimes get an obscure message from Google to the effect that "Sorry, we cannot display that. You have exceeded your bandwidth utilisation..." or something. It might be the document size, but I am unsure what causes this, though by trial-and-error I found that switching off one of the scripts for a while seems to (usually) clear the problem, and I re-enable it later.

I have copied below 3 screenshot clips showing how document links look on the webpage, with:

* 1. Both scripts OFF.
* 2. only View etc. ON. (Displays a little Google Viewer icon.)
* 3. only gPDF ON.
___________________(If you leave both scripts ON, then it looks like the 2nd image - i.e., with the little Google Viewer icon.)

1. Both scripts OFF:

2. only View etc. ON:

3. only gPDF ON:

IainB:
a nifty Firefox extension called UpdateScanner-IainB (February 09, 2014, 04:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
?
Last Update: 2014-02-12.
This project has been taken offline, please contact SourceForge.net Support for assistance.
--- End quote ---
  :tellme:
-Curt (March 05, 2014, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it seems the SourceForge project has been removed - probably to reduce duplication of site maintenance.
I searched and found the link to Firefox add-ons. Is now here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/update-scanner/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version