ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

<< < (69/192) > >>

Innuendo:
I use RoboForm and am very happy with it, but I was delighted to discover LastPass (thanks to this forum) because RoboForm doesn't work on Opera.-cyberdiva (July 23, 2009, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've installed Opera quite a few times, but I always find the Opera browsing environment stifling. I guess I just don't do things the "Opera workflow" way. Couple that with the fact that the author is so militant about providing any sort of way for add-ons/extensions and I will just stick with Firefox.

Firefox straight out of the installer doesn't work the way I do, but at least I'm free to add extensions till it does. These 'favorite Firefox extensions' threads aren't helping my browser's waistline any, either. I'm up to 42 extensions now & that's not counting a crapload of GreaseMonkey scripts.

cyberdiva:
I've installed Opera quite a few times, but I always find the Opera browsing environment stifling. I guess I just don't do things the "Opera workflow" way. Couple that with the fact that the author is so militant about providing any sort of way for add-ons/extensions and I will just stick with Firefox.
-Innuendo (July 24, 2009, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---
Firefox is my default browser, but I was surprised to find that a number of the things that I needed extensions to accomplish in Firefox could be done in Opera without needing an extension (e.g., Paste and Go; Open this page in IE; Open this page in FF) or could be done with what are essentially extensions (AdBlock for Opera, FlashBlock for Opera).  I do agree that extensions give Firefox more customizability, but they're vulnerable each time there's an upgrade. I was very frustrated, for example, to find that the "OperaView" extension that I use a lot in Firefox stopped working when FF moved to 3.5.1.  Back in the days when I used Powermarks, I used to hold my breath each time there was a FF upgrade, since the Powermarks extension usually took a little while to catch up.

Innuendo:
Firefox is my default browser, but I was surprised to find that a number of the things that I needed extensions to accomplish in Firefox could be done in Opera without needing an extension (e.g., Paste and Go; Open this page in IE; Open this page in FF) or could be done with what are essentially extensions (AdBlock for Opera, FlashBlock for Opera).-cyberdiva (July 24, 2009, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I understand your point. I would prefer some functionality were built in Firefox that is in Opera, but if development went that way I'm sure there'd be a lot of functionality would be added in that I didn't care about and I'd be lamenting that those unused features were bogging my browser down so I think that the way Firefox is doing it now by just providing a solid basic browser foundation to build on I can go into Build-A-Browser mode and build a customized browser that fits my needs like a glove.

I do agree that extensions give Firefox more customizability, but they're vulnerable each time there's an upgrade. I was very frustrated, for example, to find that the "OperaView" extension that I use a lot in Firefox stopped working when FF moved to 3.5.1.
--- End quote ---

Normally I'd agree with you 100% and as the days crept towards v3.5 becoming final and being released I experienced my usual sense of dread as a new Firefox version was unleashed upon the world because a new major version of Firefox usually meant an extension list that had a lot more extensions grayed out and inactive than ones active and working.

However, v3.5 was released and it was largely a non-issue. I had to go manually download new versions for some of my extensions, but they were all ready and released when v3.5 hit the streets. When v3.51 dropped I did have one extension that was inactive for a couple hours till the author changed the maxversion variable from 3.5 to 3.5.*.

Maybe extension writers are getting the idea it's better to get your program to working status before a new Firefox version is finalized rather than before. I do have MR Tech Toolkit installed, but I haven't had to use it to make an extension work for a very long time.

app103:
And I looking for an extension which can tracks and find whenever our discussing-thread ( forum ) has new post.
--- End quote ---

I'm looking for this extension, any1 knows about it ?

-Nxqd3051990 (July 23, 2009, 09:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not an extension, but it will alert you of new forums posts: Popup Cody

But if you want thread specific, and not have to be at the pc when the post is made, try clicking the notify button. You'll get an email alert when there is a new post.

MilesAhead:
afa Mr Tech goes, the funny thing is many of my AddOns would work using Mr Tech and Minefield 3.6 pre that would not work on FF 3.0x.  Go figure!  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version