topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 766087 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #850 on: April 28, 2016, 04:15 PM »
...Now I have no desire to delve any deeper.  I just rolled back my system to get rid of it.

It wasn't so bad back at version 8.52.  I kept using that version for years.  I keep forgetting now it is a chrome clone.  My Opera x64 runs ok, but it is legacy v. 12.14.  I'll have to get used to SlimJet I suppose.  :)

It used to be FF was a dog to load but ran fine once up.  Now it can take 3 minutes just to open on email in Hotmail.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #851 on: April 29, 2016, 05:46 AM »
...It used to be FF was a dog to load but ran fine once up.  Now it can take 3 minutes just to open on email in Hotmail.
Yes, eggsaggerly. My take on this is that, to have arrived arrived at this point with such a successfully screwed-up product as Firefox currently is (QED) cannot be assumed to have been due purely to a mixture of simple incompetence, stupidity, or negligent accident. No. The possibility needs to be considered that it has to have been planned and deliberate.
If this is true, then the objective would presumably have been to destroy Firefox.

This would seem to be already happening by degrees. For example, the developers of addons are being forced to jump through so many bureaucratic hoops with the obligatory "signature" of addons that life has become intolerable for them and they are simply abandoning their addons. A recent case in point would be the NoSquint addon - see RIP NoSquint.
Similarly, users are finding themselves unwillingly forced to accept this monoculture approach by the product being made irreversibly programmatically intolerant of anything that does not meet the artificial signing standard. A sort of negative cultural diversity.
This is a deliberate approach, and the likely consequences - the loss of a user and developer base for Firefox - would have been predictable by anyone with a grain of sense.

If the annoying Mozilla had simply been bought out by Google or Microsoft and then Firefox shut down, then there would have been a humungus public outcry and backlash from an enraged base of supporters, users and developers, and antitrust actions would likely have ensued. So, you avoid this by progressively driving away and eroding that support base, ending up with a product that has been made incrementally defective/unusable - by design - and that nobody therefore wants to use or support, and so they abandon it in their droves. Then you have to shut it down because, well, "it's already dead, isn't it?"
But you probably wouldn't do this for purely destructive purposes. No, there would likely be profit-driven method involved. As the disenchanted Firefox users were being driven away, they would be coincidentally presented with a fledgling New Thing that offered promise.

I only started to wonder about this when I reread what I had written above:
...Yers, FF releases (I'm on the Beta channel) seem to have been getting incrementally and progressively more sluggish over the last couple of years. It's bloatware now and has got to the point where I am seriously considering dumping FF and going to another browser.
...So far trialled:
  • MS Edge: Bloody fast, but then it's not been loaded up with the inevitable bloatware yet...

True story:
It reminded me of years back, when I had been working as a systems analyst in developing a new IBM-mainframe based stock control and ordering system for a central Lucas-CAV factory warehouse depot that would support several factory sites around the country (UK). In preliminary systems testing, the transaction response time at the IBM 3270 terminals was sub-second - blindingly fast - as one would expect when the system was under a negligible transaction load.
One of the analysts had an economics major, and he pointed out that there was a potential demand-and-supply problem here.
He calculated what the estimated max response time would likely be under potential peak transaction loads when the system was fully operational - the estimate was 3 seconds. This system was being implemented across a user base that had not previously experienced using computer terminals, and the experience would set their expectations.

So, before putting it out for user testing, we implemented an artificial 5-second response delay.
Users reported that the system was "very fast" and were delighted with it.

At the end of user testing, we rolled out the system to each factory in turn - a total of 8 sites - with the artificial 5-second response delay still in place.
Users reported that the system was "very fast" and were delighted with it.

When the system had bedded-in to a normal production state, we circulated the sites with a memo saying that we were modifying the system response time to speed it up, but that it would then probably vary typically between 1.5 to 3.0 seconds at the most, which was still better than the current 5 second response time they were experiencing.
The users were ecstatic about the system, and reported that it was now "incredibly fast" and were delighted with it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #852 on: April 29, 2016, 06:50 AM »
This would seem to be already happening by degrees. For example, the developers of addons are being forced to jump through so many bureaucratic hoops with the obligatory "signature" of addons that life has become intolerable for them and they are simply abandoning their addons.

****    Rant Warning    *****

I mentioned this a few times already so please forgive the hobby horse ride.  :)  But MaxThon 2.x was an excellent alternative to IE.  Used the IE engine, had a user community who wrote AddOns.  Often if you had a problem or feature request you could go hang out on the extension board and ask the author one to one and actually get a feature or a good reason why it was too difficult.  Maybe even test a private version.  In short, a very fun community.  The AddOn signing bit killed that dead doornail.  I looked at major version release of MaxThon a couple of times.  Then said "why bother" since I would always remember the glory days of user written code on forums without pop-ups and other annoyances.

****    Rant Warning    *****

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #853 on: April 29, 2016, 10:18 AM »
I just noticed this thread was started in 2005.  Still going strong.  Although the way FF is trending it may wind down in a year or so.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #854 on: May 02, 2016, 10:06 AM »
If one still has the status bar, StatusbarEx is informative: http://www.enjoyfreeware.org/sbex

https://addons.mozil...x/addon/statusbarex/

default-info.jpg

However, I don't understand how the author got his Firefox to merely use 133MB. Mine is using 533MB right now... I expect Miles is right:

the way FF is trending it may wind down in a year or so.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:28 AM by Curt »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox Extensions: MaskMe anonymous email aliases
« Reply #855 on: May 03, 2016, 11:42 PM »
MaskMe
A potentially useful Tip: You know when these special offer websites insist on your giving a Facebook "Like", or a Google+ "Like", or your email address or some such? I usually prefer to give an email address.
However, to avoid getting spammed and to remain anonymous, one needs to avoid giving a "real" email address.
For this purpose I use the abine service MaskMe - the extension is here.
I think they might have upgraded/superseded this service to some paid alternative called "Blur", or something, but I continue to use my FREE MaskMe account and Firefox Add-on because it is soo useful.

What MaskMe does: When you are provided an online email address form to fill in, the MaskMe Add-on intercepts the email address field and offers to generate a unique email address. If you accept it, then it will insert the unique generated email address - e.g., such as [email protected] - into the email address field. That email address is then recorded on the MaskMe server as an anonymous alias attached to the real email address that you assigned to your MaskMe account when you registered and set up the account.

So, newsletters or whatever will be addressed and sent to that anonymous address @opayq.com, and the email is forwarded/rerouted to your real email address with a reference to the specific alias that it was sent to.

The thing is that, if you keep track of which anonymous alias you used for which individual organisation (sender), then you will be able to see if/when any given alias address has been passed on to spammers (because you'll start receiving spam addressed to that alias). Then you can just delete that alias from your MaskMe Account, and the spam will bounce at the MaskMe mailservers and you'll cease to receive spam addressed to that specific alias, and you will know who it is that has given away/sold your email address (untrustworthy).
Also, as a bypass to the process of going through the "unsubscribing" hoops to what turns out to be a spammy newsletter or something, you can just delete that alias from the MaskMe account.    :D
If you do use MaskMe, you can help them to help you by managing your real email account properly. Refer Why are my Masked Emails not forwarding properly? Your questions answered.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #856 on: May 04, 2016, 02:04 AM »
I think they might have upgraded/superseded this service to some paid alternative called "Blur", or something, but I continue to use my FREE MaskMe account and Firefox Add-on because it is soo useful.

Apparently you may lose MaskMe etcetera the next time you start using a new machine:

Reviews https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/maskme/
Horrible Experience (Rated 1 out of 5 stars) by windyctyprog on September 30, 2015 ·

I am moving to a new laptop and PC, tried to add Mask Me, won't work anymore.
Went to the site, tells me that it only shows my list from 470 days ago.
I've had an account for years, now it won't recognize anything, keeps trying to set up a new account.
I don't want Blur, have no need for it, I just want masked emails - I already use Last Pass, won't shop on-line anymore.
Now I've lost years of masked emails. Trying to deal with Abine over the years has been problematic, not sure they really care.
-a former user's review

Here are a few details from the very fine FAQ section https://dnt.abine.com/#help/faq/faq-blurNonUS :up:

, regarding this Blur thing:

Can I purchase Blur premium if I am not located in the U.S.?

For security reasons, we have pretty strict credit card authorization procedures, and one of those procedures is an AVS check, which we require to verify and charge a card that is put on file with us. Unfortunately, the majority of non-US card issuers do not support an AVS check, so most international users are typically not able to sign up and purchase a premium subscription.

In addition, Blur’s premium features are limited outside of the U.S., as masked cards only work with a valid U.S. billing address and masked phone only works in specific non-U.S. territories. However, the ability to backup & sync your account info is a premium feature that would work for anyone in any country.

If located outside the U.S., you may be able to sign up successfully via our mobile app (through GooglePlay or the Appstore), as we don't handle the subscription billing in those cases - but because we don't handle the subscription billing in these cases, we also cannot offer you any discount for the lack of full premium coverage.

If you’d like to be placed on a list of international users who wish to be notified when the full set of Blur’s premium features are available in their country, please email us at support[a]getabine[.]com with your country included, and we’ll be sure to contact you when Blur premium is available in your area!

How can I get Blur Mobile?

Click here to text yourself a link to install Blur to your iOS or Android device.

Why do I have a charge on my bank statement from Abine? What is it for?

The charge you're seeing could mean one of two things

You purchased Blur premium: If the charge is for $5, $39, $59, or $79, that is a charge for a Blur premium subscription. It's also possible you purchased premium for one of our older products such as MaskMe or DoNotTrackMe.

You purchased a Masked Card: As soon as you create a Masked Card, you will be charged by Abine. This is because Masked Cards work similarly to gift cards, meaning that you're charged to load the funds onto the Masked Card, just like if you were to purchase a gift card. If you created a Masked Card, but didn't use it, click here and then select 'Refund Card Balance' from your Masked Cards page.

If none of this sounds familiar, please contact support with details of the charge before you file a dispute against Abine/Blur, as we are happy to help resolve any payment issues directly.

How do I refund a Masked Card back to my credit card?

Navigate to the Masked Cards section of your Privacy Dashboard, or simply click here.

Click "Refund Card Balance" next to the Masked Card in question. The refund will be reflected to your real card in 2-5 business days.
-Blur FAQ

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #857 on: May 04, 2016, 08:28 AM »
If one still has the status bar, StatusbarEx is informative: http://www.enjoyfreeware.org/sbex

https://addons.mozil...x/addon/statusbarex/

[ Invalid Attachment ]

However, I don't understand how the author got his Firefox to merely use 133MB. Mine is using 533MB right now... I expect Miles is right:

I just noticed this thread was started in 2005. Still going strong. Although the way FF is trending it may wind down in a year or so.

What is the difference between AddOn Toolbar and StatusBar?  I have Classic Theme Restorer and have stuff showing in the AddOn Bar but nothing from this extension. 

( image deleted )

btw I am running FF 46.0 x64

Edit:  Never mind!  I had to restart.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Edit2:  Hmmm, mouse hover seems broken now.  Back to drawing board.  :)

Edit3:  Working now.  OK.  I'll give it 5 minutes and see if it stays unbroke.

Edit4:  Maybe someone else running FF x64 can chime in.  But on my system it seems not ready for prime time.  Every time I load FF I have to do a FF restart for the stuff to show up on the toolbar.  Maybe I will try it again in a few months.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:02 AM by MilesAhead »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #858 on: May 04, 2016, 04:19 PM »
If one still has the status bar, StatusbarEx is informative
... on my system it seems not ready for prime time.

^ Due to the "signed"+"signed", and because it is working well on my (32-bits) PC, I didn't notice at first that StatusbarEx hasn't been updated since 2011 :-[
Sorry!!

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #859 on: May 04, 2016, 08:44 PM »
StatusBarex is working just fine here.
Win 10 64bit - Firefox 46.0.1

It would have been handy to have had it a while back when Firefox used to hang alot (at least for me).

DarkYoutube is on my must have list:
https://addons.mozil...utube-theme/?src=api

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #860 on: May 05, 2016, 07:40 AM »
It would have been handy to have had it a while back when Firefox used to hang alot (at least for me).

It must be my turn.  :)  It sure hangs for me.  Not frozen forever.  Just sits unresponsive for a variable number of seconds.  Then the keystrokes and mouse clicks will be processed.  It is really annoying.  Sometimes I have to claw the scrollbar 10 times to get the page to scroll down.  It is not waiting for the page to load.  It just ignores the mouse/keyboard until it feels like processing the window messages.

Chrome based browsers seem a bit more responsive but I can find my battery level going down due to running  a dozen processes to do one thing.  No happy medium it seems.  I seem to remember FF 30+ working fine.  Somewhere along the line they broke it.

Edit: Maybe I should switch back to x86.  Not that it makes much difference as far as the hangs go.  But maybe the AddOn will work.  :)

Edit2:  x86 seems to work fine with it.  It survived both a log off and back on, and a reboot.   :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:27 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Start delay while extension display their buttons
« Reply #861 on: May 06, 2016, 08:38 AM »
Start delay while extension display their buttons.  For example since FF is my default browser if I start it just by launching a URL there can be a 30 second or longer delay.  Even if I start to a blank page I cannot type anything into the address bar until the extensions are done displaying the buttons.

I tried putting the buttons on the status bar instead but it seems to make no difference.

Anyone know a work-around that would let FF navigate right away and load the buttons afterward?

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #862 on: May 06, 2016, 12:51 PM »
Can we ask how many addons you have Miles?
I've learned over the years to keep them to a minimum.
Temptation is strong though!

Perhaps Speedyfox can be of assistance?

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #863 on: May 06, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Btw, if you can try Fx out on Linux - just to see if there would be any difference.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #864 on: May 06, 2016, 04:54 PM »
Can we ask how many addons you have Miles?
I've learned over the years to keep them to a minimum.
Temptation is strong though!

Perhaps Speedyfox can be of assistance?

More to the point I think is the number of buttons.  Flag in address bar, toolbar has Reader, fast dial, ublock, wot.  Statusbar has Statusbarx, textarea cache, color toggle, Not many!  I have trouble doing without a Fast Dial type of addon and I know it likely slows it down the most.  Bummer.  :)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #865 on: May 06, 2016, 06:54 PM »
To find out which extension is using up most memory (another addon!) :
https://addons.mozil...about-addons-memory/

To control memory (yup, another addon!):
https://addons.mozil...ddon/free-memory-20/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #866 on: May 07, 2016, 07:58 AM »
To find out which extension is using up most memory (another addon!) :
https://addons.mozil...about-addons-memory/

To control memory (yup, another addon!):
https://addons.mozil...ddon/free-memory-20/

I don't think it is the memory.  It is initializing and displaying the button that prevents any input until all the buttons are done positioning on the various toolbars.  I can see it ignoring input until the last button is set.  Then it becomes "ready."  I should check the mozilla bug list.  It must be on there somewhere.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #867 on: May 07, 2016, 11:04 AM »
@Miles, i'm slow...
Think your issue is something i've experienced with Yandex browser in advanced mode.
Some things are just unexplainable (like trying to remove a printer driver that just won't).

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #868 on: May 08, 2016, 08:19 AM »
Although StatusbarEx doesn't work in Linux, you can easily get the same functions in distros like ChaletOS:
http://distrowatch.c...istribution=chaletos
Firefox purrrs like a kitten there!  :Thmbsup:

If only i could find a decent email notifier (addon ?) with message preview to go with it...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #869 on: May 09, 2016, 07:05 AM »
@Miles, i'm slow...
Think your issue is something i've experienced with Yandex browser in advanced mode.
Some things are just unexplainable (like trying to remove a printer driver that just won't).

It is strange.  I disabled the development mode stuff but still get messages about the script is not running.  What script?  It makes no sense.  They broke FF sometime in the 30s versions.  What a waste of a good browser.  Looks like chrome is going to take over the world.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #871 on: May 18, 2016, 02:01 AM »
Quote from: IainB on 2016-05-03, 23:42:04

Apparently you may lose MaskMe etcetera the next time you start using a new machine:
Quote from: a former user's review
    Reviews https://addons.mozil...irefox/addon/maskme/
    Horrible Experience (Rated 1 out of 5 stars) by windyctyprog on September 30, 2015 ·

I am moving to a new laptop and PC, tried to add Mask Me, won't work anymore.
    Went to the site, tells me that it only shows my list from 470 days ago.
    I've had an account for years, now it won't recognize anything, keeps trying to set up a new account.
    I don't want Blur, have no need for it, I just want masked emails - I already use Last Pass, won't shop on-line anymore.
    Now I've lost years of masked emails. Trying to deal with Abine over the years has been problematic, not sure they really care.

Here are a few details from the very fine FAQ section https://dnt.abine.co...lp/faq/faq-blurNonUS :up:

I have been able to continue to operate MaskMe from any PC/laptop, so it's not an issue - i.e., one can continue to use MaskMe etc. the next time one starts using a new machine, and the MaskMe Firefox extension is current, signed, and seems to work just fine (so far). (I just signed in to MaskMe to check whether this still works, right now, and it does.)
However, what was always true - and a potential nuisance - was that users of the FREE version of MaskMe could not rely on MaskMe to store the links between:
  • (a) their true email ID and
  • (b) which aliases were sent to or provided to which organisations/recipients.
- so, users of the FREE version had to manually keep a tally on those connections/associations - I use CHS for that.

If one became a user of the PAID version, then, as I recall, MaskMe automatically kept a tally on those connections/associations by default - which could have been quite handy. I think the new Blur product does much the same.
Abine.com asks for money for the security products with more functionality, because they apparently depend on that income as they get no revenue from advertising.
There's a useful FAQ: MaskMe Frequently Asked Questions

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #872 on: May 18, 2016, 02:48 AM »
Regarding tools for Memory usage or CPU usage monitoring and reporting.
Quote from page Tab Memory Usage :: Add-ons for Firefox
"Can be useful, but make the browser too slow: opening and closing tabs became slow (in particular when a lot of them are manipulated simultaneously), and closing the browser took 37s instead of 7s. I suggest enabling it only when necessary."
Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to have these tools running all the time as they present a potentially heavy overhead cost when they variously consume CPU/RAM/Disk resources and may even tend to take priority interrupt and access to resources, thus adversely affecting (increasing) real-time resource utilisation and response times.
However, such tools could be very useful for performance evaluation - e.g., (say) assessing the Firefox resource utilisation for a newly-designed web page versus the old version of the same page, or estimating the before/after performance impact of a newly installed extension or script.

One thing about Firefox seems to be worth considering - the resource utilisation cost occasioned by having too many extensions/scripts possibly written in sloppy high-level code and without a thought for performance effects could arguably be killing Firefox. That probably wouldn't be a major problem if Firefox itself wasn't written in sloppy high-level code and without a thought for performance effects - but we can't be sure that it wasn't, given the performance issues one can find highlighted in almost any discussion about Firefox.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:02 AM by IainB, Reason: added quote »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #873 on: May 18, 2016, 09:03 AM »
Bookmarklets as viable alternative to extensions?
Perhaps this list of bookmarklets can get us motivated to clean up our growing list of power hungry extensions:
http://www.howtogeek...browsing-experience/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #874 on: May 27, 2016, 12:36 PM »
For two weeks I have been running fewer addons than I used to (sorry for some descriptions and links in Danish):

50 addons
Applikation: Firefox 46.0 (20160414152344)
Operativsystem: WINNT (x86-msvc)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 06:40 PM by Curt »