topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 764118 times)

Nxqd3051990

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
  • Train to become GTD Master
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #325 on: July 23, 2009, 07:28 AM »
https://lastpass.com/
This extension is quite useful. I really like something replace AI Roboform and stand right inside Firefox.
This sounds nice

Install app needed  :-[ Stick with AI Roboform :)
And I looking for an extension which can tracks and find whenever our discussing-thread ( forum ) has new post.
Sorry for my bad english :)
KEEP IT SIMPLE !
Hardware ASUS K8N |AMD 2800+@2,6 with WC| Ram Kingmax 512@235 2-4-4-11
Software   Firefox 2.0.0.5 | XYplorer | Foobar 0.9.4.2 | VLC | AutoHotkey | SciTe | Pidgin
Sites Y!Blog | Facebook | Tumblog | Last.fm
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:32 AM by Nxqd3051990 »

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #326 on: July 23, 2009, 07:55 AM »
No, you can install just the firefox extension of lastpass if you like. The full installation package is for those who want to use it with IE and as a stand-alone application, IIRC.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #327 on: July 23, 2009, 10:19 AM »
I use LastPass and love it!

There's a stand alone Pocket version to for backup...

Nxqd3051990

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2009, 11:17 AM »
to set bookmarks within a page, i use the aptly named: Book Text Mark.

I use diigo. It's a killer app. Beats delicious.
Looking for a better bookmarks apps and diigo is great :)
What's your nick name ? So  I can add :P
KEEP IT SIMPLE !
Software   Firefox 2.0.0.5 | XYplorer | Foobar 0.9.4.2 | VLC | AutoHotkey | SciTe | Pidgin

Nxqd3051990

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #329 on: July 23, 2009, 11:18 AM »
I use LastPass and love it!

There's a stand alone Pocket version to for backup...
I've not used it yet . Have you used AI Roboform, any better ?
KEEP IT SIMPLE !

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #330 on: July 23, 2009, 12:47 PM »
The main thing bugging me with FF now is I'm using Minefield and I like to update it often.

I've quit using nightly builds and early betas because too many of my extensions break which causes pandemonium over here as I don't function well without my extensions.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #331 on: July 23, 2009, 12:51 PM »
I've not used it yet . Have you used AI Roboform, any better ?

A lot of people love LastPass, but I started using AI Roboform a long, long, long time before LastPass existed. I've never bothered trying LastPass as Roboform works well for me. If I ever run into something I want to do that Roboform won't I will give LastPass a try.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #332 on: July 23, 2009, 12:54 PM »
The other one is web dev stuff.

I don't do web dev work, but I can see why one would want to keep a lot of that stuff separate. What's good for web page development could make casual browsing less pleasurable.

Before your answer I had visions of you having a separate 'super-profile' with about 4,000 extensions.  :D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #333 on: July 23, 2009, 04:35 PM »
The main thing bugging me with FF now is I'm using Minefield and I like to update it often.

I've quit using nightly builds and early betas because too many of my extensions break which causes pandemonium over here as I don't function well without my extensions.

Guess that could be a problem.  Mine have stabilized.  Then again, I only run 18 extensions and 5 themes. MR Tech Toolkit keeps 'em from gettin' too uppity(which is one of the 18 btw) :)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #334 on: July 23, 2009, 06:00 PM »
A lot of people love LastPass, but I started using AI Roboform a long, long, long time before LastPass existed. I've never bothered trying LastPass as Roboform works well for me. If I ever run into something I want to do that Roboform won't I will give LastPass a try.
I use RoboForm and am very happy with it, but I was delighted to discover LastPass (thanks to this forum) because RoboForm doesn't work on Opera.  Though Firefox is my default browser, I keep going back and forth between FF and Opera.  Opera is much quicker, and I have problems using Firefox at a number of blog sites and at least one forum site where, intermittently, I can't get the cursor to go inside a comment/response box with Firefox.  I don't have this problem with Opera.  Since I do use Opera a fair amount, I am delighted that LastPass works so well with it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #335 on: July 23, 2009, 07:19 PM »
One of the things I like about Opera is the Wand form filler.  I don't like that it leaves the info in opera6.ini in clear text.  I cobbled a hack to encrypt that section of opera6.ini when not it use.  It's just a compiled script that decrypts that info, launches Opera, and when Opera closes, encrypts the info again.

If you are using a sophisticated form fill app then it's not for you.  But if you use Opera Wand and want to make it a bit more secure without a lot of hassle, you are welcome to use RunOperaWand

As with all my utilities, it's free for you to use at your own risk. :)

( edit: btw sorry if off-topic )
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:03 PM by MilesAhead »

Nxqd3051990

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #336 on: July 23, 2009, 09:04 PM »
And I looking for an extension which can tracks and find whenever our discussing-thread ( forum ) has new post.

I'm looking for this extension, any1 knows about it ?
KEEP IT SIMPLE !

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #337 on: July 23, 2009, 09:32 PM »
If you are using a sophisticated form fill app then it's not for you.  But if you use Opera Wand and want to make it a bit more secure without a lot of hassle, you are welcome to use RunOperaWand
Hi, Miles.  I'm not sure whether you wrote this in response to what I said or just in general, but I thought I'd mention that I don't use Opera's Wand and in fact don't use any automatic form filler with any browser.  If I did, I'd certainly want security features like the one you've created.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #338 on: July 23, 2009, 10:58 PM »
cyberdiva it doesn't come up that often so I thought I'd mention it. It's really a hack I wrote for myself, not something I'd put on Softpedia or anything.  Just thought if anyone wanted to use it they can download it from the link. I don't use it as much as I used to.  If you pay via PayPal then the shipping address and all that is done for you anyway after you log into your PayPal account.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #339 on: July 24, 2009, 02:16 AM »
The free Roboform is too limited for number of passwords I have!

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #340 on: July 24, 2009, 10:52 AM »
I use RoboForm and am very happy with it, but I was delighted to discover LastPass (thanks to this forum) because RoboForm doesn't work on Opera.

I've installed Opera quite a few times, but I always find the Opera browsing environment stifling. I guess I just don't do things the "Opera workflow" way. Couple that with the fact that the author is so militant about providing any sort of way for add-ons/extensions and I will just stick with Firefox.

Firefox straight out of the installer doesn't work the way I do, but at least I'm free to add extensions till it does. These 'favorite Firefox extensions' threads aren't helping my browser's waistline any, either. I'm up to 42 extensions now & that's not counting a crapload of GreaseMonkey scripts.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #341 on: July 24, 2009, 02:53 PM »
I've installed Opera quite a few times, but I always find the Opera browsing environment stifling. I guess I just don't do things the "Opera workflow" way. Couple that with the fact that the author is so militant about providing any sort of way for add-ons/extensions and I will just stick with Firefox.
Firefox is my default browser, but I was surprised to find that a number of the things that I needed extensions to accomplish in Firefox could be done in Opera without needing an extension (e.g., Paste and Go; Open this page in IE; Open this page in FF) or could be done with what are essentially extensions (AdBlock for Opera, FlashBlock for Opera).  I do agree that extensions give Firefox more customizability, but they're vulnerable each time there's an upgrade. I was very frustrated, for example, to find that the "OperaView" extension that I use a lot in Firefox stopped working when FF moved to 3.5.1.  Back in the days when I used Powermarks, I used to hold my breath each time there was a FF upgrade, since the Powermarks extension usually took a little while to catch up.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #342 on: July 24, 2009, 03:35 PM »
Firefox is my default browser, but I was surprised to find that a number of the things that I needed extensions to accomplish in Firefox could be done in Opera without needing an extension (e.g., Paste and Go; Open this page in IE; Open this page in FF) or could be done with what are essentially extensions (AdBlock for Opera, FlashBlock for Opera).

I understand your point. I would prefer some functionality were built in Firefox that is in Opera, but if development went that way I'm sure there'd be a lot of functionality would be added in that I didn't care about and I'd be lamenting that those unused features were bogging my browser down so I think that the way Firefox is doing it now by just providing a solid basic browser foundation to build on I can go into Build-A-Browser mode and build a customized browser that fits my needs like a glove.

I do agree that extensions give Firefox more customizability, but they're vulnerable each time there's an upgrade. I was very frustrated, for example, to find that the "OperaView" extension that I use a lot in Firefox stopped working when FF moved to 3.5.1.

Normally I'd agree with you 100% and as the days crept towards v3.5 becoming final and being released I experienced my usual sense of dread as a new Firefox version was unleashed upon the world because a new major version of Firefox usually meant an extension list that had a lot more extensions grayed out and inactive than ones active and working.

However, v3.5 was released and it was largely a non-issue. I had to go manually download new versions for some of my extensions, but they were all ready and released when v3.5 hit the streets. When v3.51 dropped I did have one extension that was inactive for a couple hours till the author changed the maxversion variable from 3.5 to 3.5.*.

Maybe extension writers are getting the idea it's better to get your program to working status before a new Firefox version is finalized rather than before. I do have MR Tech Toolkit installed, but I haven't had to use it to make an extension work for a very long time.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #343 on: July 25, 2009, 12:03 AM »

I'm looking for this extension, any1 knows about it ?

It's not an extension, but it will alert you of new forums posts: Popup Cody

But if you want thread specific, and not have to be at the pc when the post is made, try clicking the notify button. You'll get an email alert when there is a new post.

SNAG-00050.png

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #344 on: July 25, 2009, 11:15 AM »
afa Mr Tech goes, the funny thing is many of my AddOns would work using Mr Tech and Minefield 3.6 pre that would not work on FF 3.0x.  Go figure!  :huh:

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #345 on: July 25, 2009, 03:23 PM »
Maybe extension writers are getting the idea it's better to get your program to working status before a new Firefox version is finalized rather than before. I do have MR Tech Toolkit installed, but I haven't had to use it to make an extension work for a very long time.
Yes, I agree that the situation has gotten somewhat better.  However, the OperaView problem is driving me nuts.  I downloaded Mr. Tech Toolkit after seeing you and other mention it, but I wasn't able to figure out how I might use it to get the OperaView extension to work again.  I'd love to know.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #346 on: July 25, 2009, 04:59 PM »
I don't see the setting to disable version compatibility checking, so maybe it does it on install?  But anyway, when you click Tools=>AddOns it should say "addon compatibility checking is disabled.. enable?" if it's disabled.  The layout is changed quite a bit from Mr Tech Local Install as it used to be called and I haven't had to mess with it, so that's why. :)

I don't use that Opera addon so I can't say what fixes it.  The only thing I used to use was Launchy to "Open with Opera" but that got to be a pain.  I could never add any new stuff to Launchy once it was installed.. so I gave up on it.. other than just using the context menu to open image links.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 05:00 PM by MilesAhead »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #347 on: July 25, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Yes, I agree that the situation has gotten somewhat better.  However, the OperaView problem is driving me nuts.  I downloaded Mr. Tech Toolkit after seeing you and other mention it, but I wasn't able to figure out how I might use it to get the OperaView extension to work again.  I'd love to know.

This is not a guaranteed fix. It'll only disable the version check that Firefox does when it checks to see if an extension will work with the browser. If there are inherent compatibilities with the extension this is not going to help you. Open up the options in MR Tech Toolkit. Click on the Miscellaneous toolbar button and then on the XPI Install Options tab. The first checkbox is what you are looking for: Enable Addons Compatibility Checking. By default it is checked. Uncheck it and when you go to install OperaView or any other extension Firefox will not balk if the versions don't match up.

Beware this is a browser-wide setting so no addons will be compatibility checked so I prefer this second way to get things work & it restricts the compatibility check disable to the extension you are trying to get to work. First you would download the extension and save it to the folder of your choice. Then you would open the XPI file with your favorite archiver whether it be PowerArchiver, Winzip, WinRAR, or whatever so long as it can open zip files as that's all an XPI file is.

Once you've done that in the root directory of the archive you are going to find a file called install.rdf. Extract that file and open it in your favorite text editor. Do a search for maxversion and your search will turn up something similar to this:

<em:maxVersion>3.0.*</em:maxVersion>

You would just need to change that line to read as so:

<em:maxVersion>3.*.*</em:maxVersion>

Save install.rdf with your changes. If you still have the archive open in your archiver just drag and drop your new install.rdf on the open archive window & your archiver should ask you if you want to replace the old file with your new one. Just say yes. Close the archive & then drag th XPI & drop it on your open Firefox window & the install addon procedure will commence. The only difference is this time Firefox will see that the XPI is compatible with all v3.x versions of Firefox & will let you install it.

If all goes well there won't be any real incompatibilities and your extension will work. If it does, tuck your diva-made XPI away somewhere safe & if you ever should need to reinstall Firefox for whatever reason your custom XPI will be ready to install without having to modify it again.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #348 on: July 25, 2009, 07:18 PM »
Thanks, Miles and Innuendo, for the info about Mr. Tech Toolkit.  As it turns out, the problem with OperaView was not maximum version compatibility.  It was set to be compatible with 3.5*.  I nonetheless uninstalled and reinstalled it.  Even version 3.5.1 accepted it just fine.  But it simply won't work in 3.5.1.  It works the first time you tell FF to open the page in Opera, but the next time, an error box pops up that says on the title [JavaScript Application] and then the message "OperaView was unable to run Opera Browser.  Check the path and try again."  It always finds it the first time, but not after that.

Innuendo, I really appreciate your detailed help on dealing with the maximum compatibility issue. :up:  Though that turned out not to be the problem this time, I'm definitely going to save your message for the next time I need it.  I'm sure there will be a next time!

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #349 on: July 26, 2009, 10:17 AM »
It works the first time you tell FF to open the page in Opera, but the next time, an error box pops up that says on the title [JavaScript Application] and then the message "OperaView was unable to run Opera Browser.  Check the path and try again."  It always finds it the first time, but not after that.

OperaView is broken. However, I have found you a work-around. Uninstall OperaView and install IE View Lite from here:

https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/1429

Go into the extensions options and replace the path to IE with your path to Opera. You'll have to select View in IE off of your context menu, but Opera will open every time. I just tested it out myself. A savvy person could probably poke around inside the XPI and change all the "View in IE" references to "View in Opera", but I guess it depends on how big a stickler you are on the cosmetic side of things. Hopefully, this work-around will tide you over till OperaView's author gets a fix out.

Innuendo, I really appreciate your detailed help on dealing with the maximum compatibility issue. :up:

My pleasure. I like to help when/where I can.