ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can a Linux man survive in Windows Land?

<< < (5/5)

Paul Keith:
Is that happening to anybody else? -40hz (February 01, 2009, 11:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure if it's the same but it could be a case of moving from an old software to a new software back to an old software. Kind of like using Opera and then back to Firefox and then back to IE. It just feels different.

I haven't tried Win7 though but in the short time I've tried Linux, it really made me want to jump ship to Linux and every flaw of Linux started to get magnified compared to XP because it's all new age especially with major distroes.

* The thought of the more you know the OS, the lighter you can tweak your computer because of the terminal
* Key-board centric editors
* LiveCDs with no registration
* Separate user folders
* The wonders of multiple file systems and the argument around each one
* Software repositories
* More modern look and if it's dated, it's usually guaranteed faster than XP
The list goes on and on even though you can get some if not many functionality back in Windows, the whole idea of a guaranteed free OS that's as good as a Mac pre-installed looms over your shoulders.

I think it's for this same reason that many of the press complain about the gap. They are secretly Linux lovers if not at the very least Ubuntu lovers when they try Linux and they often found Linux to be a more comfortable fit to them than Windows and the appeal of constantly testing what new juicy features a distro might have released in the next version tickles their software testing tastebuds. Then the downsides starts to sink in. Hardware detection problems. Lack of professional apps. Weird bugs. Often times just the sheer fact of not just wanting to admit that they didn't look indepth into Linux and just used a virtualized layer or liveCD and that they really aren't the hot shot journalists they think they are when writing the Linux article gets to them. It all culminates to blaming seeing apt-get or typing a pass for sudo/su and seeing the terminal as the core reasons for why Linux isn't for the casual users even though they don't really have a complaint as far as features and it's beyond the core built features and the lack of software support and comfort with the old Windows way of managing things that is getting to them.

Of course, this topic is also talking about Windows Server so I'm not sure if it's relevant to the casual users at all but most press I read often approach Linux on the desktop side since it's generally regarded as a better cheap alternative server OS already.

Ironically this also shows how the modern press is about trying to brainwash society into self-prophecizing society rather than reporting because most of the problems of modern Linux on the desktop is precisely due to the lack of true positive press and not so much the fault of it's current developer base. By true I mean really well-informed and detailed introduction to Linux in normal reporting and not the sort of sensationalistic "self-apologetic" We-tried-it-it-has-problems-but-it's-not-so-bad-pwease-try-it-here's-some-pretty-screenies kind of article writing.

40hz:
Thanks for the input, Paul. I think this is one of those "three pipe problems" I'm going to have to sit down and figure out. There's something about Windows that now has me seriously bugged despite my not knowing exactly what it is.

At least now I have something to ponder if a bout of insomnia hits me tonight.

Still, I hope this 'vibe' goes away. I can't afford the luxury of actively disliking Windows. Especially since a large portion of my livelihood comes from it.

:o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version