ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MOGware's FileHamster (Complaint)

<< < (3/7) > >>

Shades:
First of all, I'm definitely no expert but I was under the impression that anybody who makes a living of creating software had (at least) heard of these systems...especially CVS since it is really old (10+ years) and included in any of the big Linux distro's.

SVN:
http://www.tigris.org   -  it is a site like Sourceforge.
There you will find all the info you need about SVN, including links to the software. Here are the links for the ones who don't like to read (too much ;) ).
Clients: TortoiseSVN (shell) and RapidSVN (application).
Server: VisualSVN

CVS:
As I said, Linux has it and Windows too. For Windows there are also several options.
Clients: WinCVS, CS-RCS
Server: CVSNT

Between the two, I would choose for SVN since it took me 30 minutes to install (if I count the 25 minutes of downloading the software).

There is one side-note, when given the choice always opt for file-based system. CVS is file-based, SVN offers you the choice of using a database-based (default) or file-based system. In the event something goes wrong (crashing hardware or something similar) it is easier to repair a file-based system than one based on a database.

Deozaan:
I've heard of them and even tried getting SVN set up a few times, but the barrier to entry has just been too great for me and I end up getting rid of it all and going back to FileHamster.

EDIT: Spelling corrections

tomos:
thanks Shades
It's great to get a couple of pointers
I'd heard of them, even started reading up on one of them a couple of years ago but gave up (think it was CVS, like Carol looked at - "clear as mud" lol)

First of all, I'm definitely no expert but I was under the impression that anybody who makes a living of creating software had (at least) heard of these systems..
-Shades (February 03, 2009, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
you're forgetting - we're not all coders here (some of us arent even power users :D)

fenixproductions:
2tomos
I will recommend you Mercurial.

I've used many CVS/SVN systems in the past and there had been always something that bothered me but I couldn't give straight answer "what". I found Mercurial, been using for a month and must say: it's great. IMHO it has better tools and is easier to handle than TortoiseCVS (or SVN).

So... If you are as whimsical in choosing CVS as me, give it a shot :)

tomos:
Mercurial, been using for a month and must say: it's great. IMHO it has better tools and is easier to handle than TortoiseCVS (or SVN).
-fenixproductions (February 04, 2009, 04:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks fenix,

that looks manageable ;)
can you add "comments" to files as you save them or does it work in a different way?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version