ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MOGware's FileHamster (Complaint)

<< < (2/7) > >>

tomos:
Commenting generally on Filehamster:-

while I'm a big fan of Filehamster,
I find support can be poor and/or very slow - it exists all right so it could be a lot worse!

Personally I would like to see more development on the main programme, specifically re the UI, management of watches (e.g. it would be great to be able to group them in a tree format) and more flexible options.
In fairness they have done some work in directions that dont interest me (team plugin)

All in all though I think it's worth the investment - and I dont know has this been reported elsewhere but
To celebrate the second anniversary of FileHamster all prices have been reduced by 50%.

--- End quote ---
which makes it 15$ or so, a steal :)
http://www.mogware.com/filehamster/downloads/index.html

Shades:
There are several open source version of file versioning systems around for years (CVS and SVN). Better yet, they have proven their worth already for years in the (heavy!) software development industry.

For Windows are also open source/freeware graphical clients and shell extensions available. And most (if not all) of the development tools can already talk directly to those systems as well.

The CVS system I use here spawns 12.000 files a minute from my server through a (100 Mbit/sec) network to my personal system. In my experiences with FileHamster it was never able to do this. So why even bother with a product like FileHamster?

tomos:
So why even bother with a product like FileHamster?
-Shades (February 02, 2009, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
cause we're not all experts at CVS or SVN ?
cause it's easy ?  - Filehamster I mean
cause most FH users are probably (?) working on and backing up one file at a time

Are you saying CVS or SVN are easily accessible? (I know next to nothing about them)

For Windows are also open source/freeware graphical clients and shell extensions available.
-Shades (February 02, 2009, 03:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
any tips/links there?
thanks..

Carol Haynes:
I have to confess I went to have a quick look at CVS on reading the post above - the documentation is a bout as clear as mud (and only seems to refer to Linux even though there is a Windows version of CVS).

I agree with tomos MogWare is dead simple to use and is absolutely fine if you just use it on a desktop (rather than a server).

CWuestefeld:
I'm doing both for my personal projects.

I use SourceGear Vault for typical source control and configuration management stuff. Tomos hit one point about this: an industrial-strength system works better for things that need consistency together, as with labeling and branching.

But I'm using FH for stuff that's atomic and changing over time. This is typically for stuff like files containing test data.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version