topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Meme time! Five Things People Don't Know About Me  (Read 68979 times)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Meme time! Five Things People Don't Know About Me
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 04:12 PM »
1. I love to BBQ
2. I flew the A-10 Warthog (As well as a few other jets) in the Air Force
3. I'm an American but I have lived in Turkey and England
4. I ride a unicycle
5. I love computers but I can't program  :-[

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 07:32 PM »
I flew the A-10 Warthog

Awesome! The finest close-support aircraft ever .

My hat's off.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 10:45 PM »
For a meme like this to be successful, it should contain some 'spicy material' I think, so here goes:

1. My only brother has recently chosen a "career" as professional criminal.
2. When I was (very) young, my curiosity killed a real cat   :(
3. At heart I am a dog person anyway.
4. I bought all my drivers licenses for this country (but earned them in originating country).
5. I am in love with a woman who is totally into God, while I am not.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 05:34 AM »

(4) I'm the guy who feeds all the stray cats in the neighborhood.

1. I  :-* zridling (I'm a cat person)!
2. I've had Rheumatoid Arthritis for 33 years.
3. I love Musicals - my fav. is Sound of Music.
4. I used to be an amateur Dancer/Singer/Actor before I got sick.
5. I'm 55 and my 81 year old Mother cares for me full-time and mows the lawn, cooks, cleans etc. :Thmbsup:

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 04:41 PM »
For a meme like this to be successful, it should contain some 'spicy material' I think, so here goes:

1. My only brother has recently chosen a "career" as professional criminal.

My brother did this in 2002, and bought himself a life sentence in 2003. The whole thing tore our family apart. The TV shows never tell you crime's impact on criminals' families. It wastes life savings, forces people to choose sides, and if like me, you still keep in contact with the offender, it's an emotional and financial burden. In other words, the family gets sentenced, too. Which is why I believe every troubled teen should have to spend a month sitting in a courtroom. It's very easy to convict people, the state has built-in advantages, and appeals go nowhere. In the end, you find out it's far better to avoid the crime in the first damn place!

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 05:03 PM »
It's a shame to follow down this dark path, but this is actually an interesting story. I went to school with someone who ran away, later to be convicted of taking part in a semi-famous murder. In 1982, three gay prostitutes from New York City (one of them my schoolmate) went down to Florida and murdered one of their clients, the "junk food professor" from the University of Florida. The case was rendered more bizarre by the means of killing, and strange stuff like writing "redrum" on the walls. This was all written up in Newsweek, was notorious enough to be discussed on web sites like the one linked below.

I won't offer any quotes or post photos, because it's a little disturbing and anyway, it would hijack the thread.

Full story here

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 07:05 PM »
app: #4. You too? :)

I have actually been driven home (forcefully) by the police in my town on more than one occasion, for being the "crazy lady" out for a leisurely stroll at 4am during a blizzard.  ;D :-[

You definitely don't live where I do. If one of our local constabulary did that, they'd be civil-righted all the way to the nearest judge.

I have, however, been 'pulled over' a few times, asked for ID, and made to chat a bit before the officer was convinced I was neither drunk nor crazy. (I rarely am. ;))

But on the positive side, I also once got invited to a party by a tough (but cute) little blonde-with-a-badge on one of those strolls. Wound up talking to Ladycop for quite a while. She found it "intriguing" (her word) that somebody would actually be walking around in a snowstorm by choice.

She seemed rather nice. Too bad she missed the 70's. She would have liked them. :P
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:12 PM by 40hz »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 10:11 PM »
app: #4. You too? :)

I have actually been driven home (forcefully) by the police in my town on more than one occasion, for being the "crazy lady" out for a leisurely stroll at 4am during a blizzard.  ;D :-[

You definitely don't live where I do. If one of our local constabulary did that, they'd be civil-righted all the way to the nearest judge.

There is laws here that when an official snow emergency is declared, everyone is to be off the streets. They have the right to impound your car and drive you to the nearest shelter if they catch you driving in it.

Off the streets is off the streets, and they do give you a few choices:
  • a shelter (if you don't live in town)
  • your home (if you do)
  • the local jail (if you refuse to cooperate)

The police are always afraid that reduced visibility is going to lead to me being run over by a salt truck or something. I have been told that if I stay on my own block they will leave me alone.

I found that staying off the main streets usually means they will leave me alone. It's only when I start craving donuts that I end up on the main street, and usually driven home by 2 officers that happened to stop for coffee at the same time & place that I showed up for a freshly made donut.  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 01:43 PM »
The police are always afraid that reduced visibility is going to lead to me being run over by a salt truck or something. I have been told that if I stay on my own block they will leave me alone.

Where's the fun in that?

We all know the "best" windows to peek in are located at least 3 blocks away! (uh...kidding...just kidding...) ;D

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 05:41 AM »
Five more things. I'm so strange I could keep this going for years.

(1) My mom is typical: she asks me to call her all the time. On the other hand, my mom is atypical: when I do get around to calling her, she starts making excuses to get off the phone within five minutes. (I call her once every six months or less. The occasional letter is better.)

(2) I dislike trivia games because I feel life's too short to spend it remembering most minutia.

(3) I was on the 'Bozo the Clown' show as a kid once. It was not nearly as fun as watching it on the TV. They taped an entire month's worth of shows in one day and we were herded into the little stands, asked questions, told to scream in delight, and then get the hell off the stage. Turned out Bozo was an insurance salesman who was arrested for being a peeping Tom in his other life.

(4) I taught statistics as a college instructor for years at schools throughout the US Midwest. Loved the job, hated the pay. Never had the ambition to become a professor; besides, the wife's career turned out to have a much better future.

(5) I was in love with my very cute cousin from when I was 9 to 11 years old. We were born on the same day in the same year. We pretended to secretly 'date' for almost two years at family gatherings. I don't regret it. She's still freakin' hot! Now, we laugh about it to this day and wonder what could have come from forbidden tween love other than genetic disaster. (Don't you judge me! She looked like this).

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 05:56 PM »
not that I remember what I might have said before somewhere but...

1) I'm a 5 minute cat detector, due to an extremely strong allergy (although it has gotten better).

2) Am a dog person, logically. When I was 4 years old my parents asked me if I would prefer a little brother or a little sister. I replied I'd rather have a dog. It somehow took the wind out of their sails, since I never got either sibling or dog and had to wait 30+ years before I finally go a dog.

3) In spite of the story in 2), I was a fertility expert at 4 - we had friends of the family visiting, married 2 years previously, and somehow the conversation went to their yet unsuccessful attempts to have a child. I embarrassed my mother by explaining in sufficient detail how these things worked. It was worth it though, as a few months later they were expecting. I don't remember this at all, but supposedly I was very proud that my advice had worked.

4) I have my mobile phone ringtone set really low, so I don't hear it if I am concentrated on work or a conversation. Most people I have worked with really cannot understand this, but it makes sense to me. The ringtone happens to be a (self made) extract of a tune from World of Warcraft and yet nobody has ever recognised it in 2 years I have had it.

5) I think out loud, talk back to the TV, and sing to my dog

alivingspirit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 10:11 PM »
alivingspirit...
1) Likes trail mix with lots of dried fruit.
2) Thinks college is boring and a waste of time but does it anyways b/c having a degree makes you a more respected.
3) Sweats 5 times the amount of a normal person. On a hot summer day he has to drink 2 gallons of water to stay hydrated.
4) Takes public transportation.
5) Makes all his food from scratch except on rare occasions when he goes out to eat.

dwbrant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2009, 07:45 AM »
1)  I have "cluster" headaches, in addition to the occasional migraine.
2)  I code Rexx programs and mainframe automation.  I can't really code in any other language.
3)  I love to photograph.
4)  I used up 9 years of my life jumping out of airplanes and bossing them around for the USAF.
5)  Although I have "grown up", I still occasionally listen to Steve Taylor, Sweet Comfort Band, and The 77s.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2009, 08:19 AM »
dwbrant, do you have a Flickr account for your photos? Share man, share!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2009, 08:22 AM »
1. I, too, suffer from cluster headaches, migraines, and sinus headaches.
2. I collect wristwatches, pocketwatches, and fountain pens (haven't done either in years, mind you).
3. I was a huge, HUGE, Beatlemaniac as a teenager -> John Lennon was shot when I was 11 and I was instantly transmorphed from a geeky, out of step, classical and jazz loving adolescent into a geeky and out of step Beatles fan in the dying days of Punk rock...
4. I'm an omnviore.
5. I am dirunal.

dwbrant

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2009, 08:32 AM »
 I do have a few accounts where you can see photos, but must caution you that you're likely to wade through a bunch of stuff you don't wanna see in order to see anything worthwhile...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbrant/

and for a more organized, but older, view:

http://public.fotki.com/dwbrant/  (I recommend the Landscapes and Infrared folders).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2009, 08:36 AM »
5. I am dirunal

A Welsh poet, eh?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2009, 08:40 AM »
(5) I was in love with my very cute cousin from when I was 9 to 11 years old.[/url]).

Me too! Not your cousin, of course, mine... and I was about 20 at the time. She was my second cousin, whom I had not met until I visited the UK for the first time... I didn't DO anything about, in case anyone is wondering/cares  :o

Reading through others posts:

1. I too love computers but could not code my way out of a paper bag.
2. My wife is a Christian while I am an atheist. However, we get along just fine.
3. app - does doing donuts in a mall parking lot at 4 am in a blizzard count? My friend and I walked home because he bent his car around a light pole)...
4. I am a Canadian but have lived in the UK, Korea, and the US

5. I am dirunal

A Welsh poet, eh?
-cranioscopical (February 16, 2009, 08:36 AM)

One Christmas was so much like another...

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 09:00 AM »
@Darwin

Try Chanukah for a change  ;).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2009, 01:37 PM »
5. I am dirunal

A Welsh poet, eh?
-cranioscopical (February 16, 2009, 08:36 AM)

One Christmas was so much like another...
Not another dylanttante!
Well, often he was urinal'd.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Try Chanukah for a change

;D  Nice one!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 02:44 PM »
I do have a few accounts where you can see photos, but must caution you that you're likely to wade through a bunch of stuff you don't wanna see in order to see anything worthwhile...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbrant/

and for a more organized, but older, view:

http://public.fotki.com/dwbrant/  (I recommend the Landscapes and Infrared folders).

I like your ratz...especially this one;D

And you are quite right in recommending the landscape & IR stuff...absolutely breath taking!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2009, 05:33 PM »
dwbrant: +1 with Mouser. Your IR photos are stunning. :up: :up:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2009, 08:04 PM »
Try Chanukah for a change

;D  Nice one!
-cranioscopical (February 16, 2009, 01:39 PM)

I thought so too  ;D, but then this was pretty funny as well:

Well, often he was urinal'd.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2009, 12:55 AM »
2. I collect wristwatches, pocketwatches, and fountain pens (haven't done either in years, mind you).

I see we have a reformed Pick Pocket among us... ;D