topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Need advice how to offer/sell domain names best  (Read 6016 times)

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Need advice how to offer/sell domain names best
« on: January 30, 2009, 06:16 AM »
Hi DC,

a buddy of mine owns some domain names, that she never needs anymore. All the domains are in the TLD .de.

She plans to offer them for sale.

But as i never sold any domains i have NO experience with this. So i promised to ask my good friends here if there are some advices from experienced domain sellers how to do it best. Any caveats to keep an eye on? What sites are best to advertise the domains on? How will it work if a domain is sold (KK? Admin-C change?).

Mighty oracle of DonationCoder...Let mercy take place and enlighten me :D Thank you in advance to all and any hint is appreciated.

Greetings
JoTo

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need advice how to offer/sell domain names best
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 06:37 AM »
You might point the way with a google search of the idea for ideas:
http://www.google.co...e=utf-8&oe=utf-8

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:56 AM »
Hi Zridling,

thank you! Very interesting Links. I'll have a look at them and have to translate them (my buddy isnt capable of english).

But if someone here has already sold a domain and will tell me how it was done i have a information that is much more trustworthy.

Greetings
JoTo

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:36 AM »
I had to sell a dozen of my .de domains to pay for debts. But I had it easy that time: I already knew someone interested in the domains and had my admin-c handle all the technical stuff. I just signed the contract, waited for the money and then gave my admin-c the "OK, do your domain-thing".

In Germany it is important to have a written and signed contract, stating exactly what was sold to whom and for which price. And I would also include excplicitely things that are NOT sold in this contract: only the .de-domain but not the .net- or .com domain.

It is important to be clear, and the contract does not need this fancy lawyer speak to be valid. It needs to be understood by both parties. Use simple sentences to make things clear. Legalese is for lawyers, German is for Germans.

That said: I think the contractual part is much more difficult than the technical part of transferring the domain. Also the contract is the most important part, in case something goes wrong and some weird dude (GvG are you listening?) registers the domain during transfer.

I wonder if denic.de has instructions on the technical part...

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:41 AM »
Hi Joto, :)

Good to see you back on forums.

You can send email Daniel scoco of Dailyblogtips.com for advice and pointers. As he is author DomainSales related Book. Lot of folks from Sitepoint can help you on that as well. One of my friend sold his TLD with advice from sitepoint. There are plenty of folks out there doing business of Domain sales and Blog flipping. Alternatively you can try Digitalpoint for sales but don't expect advice/poitnes from members at digitalpoint.