ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Cleaning Inside the Case

<< < (2/8) > >>

techidave:
I use a vacum sweeper by putting the hose in the blow side and not the suction side.  works pretty good and don't have to worry about moisture in the cans of air.

cranioscopical:
My house is an older model and it tends to create dust spontaneously.
-Edvard (January 30, 2009, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D ;D

I have a dog that must be from the same era!

Thanks for the leaf-blower image... boggles the mind!

40hz:
I've used the Metro DataVac Pro for years. Kind of pricey for individual use however. A small hand held hair dryer works well as long as it allows you to completely shut off the heat. Stand back about 2 feet and use a sweeping motion. (You might also want to wear a dust mask if it's really cruddy. Doing it out on the porch, or in your garage, is also a good idea.)

The thing you need to be careful of is using too much air pressure when you vac or blow computer components. Hard air streams can dislodge or damage small electronic components and mechanical devices. Under certain conditions, they can also generate potentially harmful static charges. Moderate air flow is the safest bet. A little dust is far less likely to damage your system than and overly an aggressive cleaning will.

f0dder and Mouser's canned air warnings are spot on. I've seen chips damaged or fried from condensation due to careless use of DustOff. Don't use canned air. It's bad for the environment anyway.

cranioscopical:
But I would love to have a little, battery-powered vacuum again that is made for inside computer cases. Does anyone know of any that are currently sold?
-J-Mac (January 29, 2009, 11:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you have a spare (or broken) tool for your vacuum, you can cut that down and then improvise a home-made step-down adapter and attach an appropriate length of small-bore flexible plastic tubing to the vacuum pipe.  With that you can get just about anywhere in the case (and clean out your keyboard).  It's easy enough to adjust the amount of air flow from the vacuum cleaner.

40hz:
This might work for you.

It's small, ( rechargeable!) battery powered, made by Metro, and costs about $30.

Dataavac DVR1 Desktop Shuttle Vacuum/ Blower

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1426580

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version