ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Two in-depth articles for developers and open source enthusiasts

(1/4) > >>

40hz:
Once again the folks over at Heise Online have come through with two articles of interest to developers and open source enthusiasts.

The first is an interesting look at the state of the Perl language The second addresses issues surrounding Open Office and related spin-offs.The articles have the metatitle of Healthcheck, and it appears Heise will be doing more of them down the road.

Excellent reading. Check them both out :Thmbsup:

Healthcheck: Perl - The Perl Future (12.01.2009, djwm)

In our first Healthcheck, Piers Cawley explains how Perl is more than just the language of one liners and why Perl is in rude health

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Healthcheck-Perl-The-Perl-Future--/features/112388

Healthcheck: OpenOffice (29.01.2009, trk)

Open Office has come a long way since Sun Microsystems purchased StarOffice in 1999, is Sun's tight grasp on the code base gradually draining the life from the open source MS Office alternative?

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Healthcheck-OpenOffice--/features/112512

--- End quote ---

bgd77:
Thanks, 40Hz! So I haven't learned Perl for nothing.  :)

40hz:
Thanks, 40Hz! So I haven't learned Perl for nothing.  :)
-bgd77 (February 17, 2009, 01:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hope not. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with Perl. It's a rather elegant tool in the right hands.

Much like "tequila and handguns," it's the way it sometimes gets used that people take issue with. ;D

cranioscopical:
Much like "tequila and handguns," it's the way it sometimes gets used that people take issue with.
-40hz (February 17, 2009, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
So your advice for those wondering about Perl would be to take a shot?

bgd77:
Where I work almost everybody sees Perl as a "dead" project. And, since I am the only one with some Perl skills, I kind of take it personal.   >:(

Much like "tequila and handguns," it's the way it sometimes gets used that people take issue with. ;D
-40hz (February 17, 2009, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
I thought that it is something related with the language itself. You probably refer to the fact that unreadable code can be created with it, right?

So your advice for those wondering about Perl would be to take a shot?
-cranioscopical (February 17, 2009, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---
I already too a shot, I think I need another one.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version