ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tagging Conventions/Folksonomy

<< < (2/2)

JennyB:
You need to ask yourself why you are keeping all this stuff.

The omnibox in Google Chrome is scarily good at re-finding stuff you have seen recently.
ListMixer is great for temporary ad hoc lists, and stuff that you might, or might not, look at again.

When I do add  link to my personal bookmarks, I take a tip from Jay Baldwin's toolbox
Our tools are sorted by function rather than by name. Whackers, twisters, nabbers, and hole-makers live with their functional kindred. Just seeing them there together can give you an insight into how to do something more easily.
--- End quote ---

I say to myself "I shall need this again when I want to VERB [adjective] [NOUN] [adverb]

So, for example, the Listmixer bookmarklet is filed under "Keep," together with ones to subscribe to an RSS feed and make a note in Reader. Each main verb is a separate folder on my bookmark bar. By concentrating on what i might actually DO with the link, I avoid large collections tagged "interesting."

Paul Keith:
JennyB is right although I'd just like to point out that when you start structuring in an "actionable" classification, you're either better off with folders or putting those links in a "list" (preferably a to-do one) which is pretty close to what she did.

The problem with using this system for tags is that you're not really relieved of the structure of tags. You can tag something as "to watch" but later on you might tag something similar as "to verify" or even "to torrent" "to steal" "to pirate" "to rent in Netflix" "to suck up to Big Sis" "to suck up to Dad" "to sneak into theaters" - you see where this is going.

siouxdax:
Thank all of you! You guys always know. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version