topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Blending Opera@usb, FF portable, Portable BM, notes/scrapbook, docs/images?  (Read 3863 times)

mdh2056

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi DonationCoders,
Great site, thanks for being here. Here's my situation, and I'm on PC, not Mac. I really like the idea of exclusively using a portable browser rather than trying to synch multiple computers, cutting and pasting the browser from an external drive to run from the desktop [for speed if need be] then back again if I want to move to a different computer or backup.

I started using firefox portable 6 months back, with 7,000+ bookmarks it takes 25 minutes to transfer using a thumbdrive, so for now I just leave it on my 2.5" 7200rpm external laptop drive. I also have 5,000 plus ancient links in an IE favorites file that I want to cull through/blend in. All this more or less organised in many folders/sub-folders.

I also like to keep snippets in Firefox's "scrapbook".

So I'm researching portable bookmark managers. Cut and paste the browser, leave the bookmarks in place on the drive.

I don't want any internet based bookmark or storage options. 

Enter opera@usb [portable opera]. Discovered Opera after researching how to avoid sideways scrolling on web pages in FF, kept hearing about "fit-to-window-width" in Opera. Tried it out and love Opera. So, with the bookmarks in a portable manager the browser can be kept really slim, can switch between browsers while I'm deciding on Opera/Firefox, or heck use both.

So, my question: a light went on when reading this comment in the mega-Linkman BM review thread,
scroll down to reply #26 by Tiesenhausen:

https://www.donation...x.php?topic=12687.25

In reading that post I realized that what I really want is for each subject to have a home folder with bookmarks, scrapbook/notes type blurbs, and my own documents/images all-in-one and have it all searchable and portable on an external drive. Or at least maybe something close to that idea.

I don't have an existing linked together system/method like Tiesenhausen, so before I dive in with one of the portable bookmark managers and start hacking away [linkman looks good] just thought I'd put this out there in case there's an "all-in-one" portable approach I don't know about and can put my efforts towards.

thank you for your time and any insights,
Matt

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not really sure what you want since I don't use an external bookmark manager nor find copy pasting to and from a link to be that slow especially with Opera (where you don't have lots of extensions slowing you down) but it sounds like you're looking for a portable start menu: http://www.aignes.com/psmenu.htm

Note that Teracopy and Totalcopy can also speed up your copy pasting and resume/pause them.

mdh2056

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks Paul Keith, sorry about the long winded post. What I want is described very well in the post I linked to.

For research/study purposes I guess  having a way to link together by subject related bookmarks, scrapbook excerpts from sites, and your own documents and pictures all in one folder.

Apparently this is native to IE.

So before I tackle organizing my huge pile of bookmarks and favorites, just wondered if there's a way to approach this style of organizing outside of going back to Internet/Windows Explorer.

PS and thanks for the link, looks interesting I'll have to get back to it later.
Matt

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 06:35 PM by mdh2056 »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nah, no need to apologize. I tend to write similar length posts.  ;D

If you can install a dock like RocketDock or a launcher like Launchy, you can also just index those files for easier navigation without resorting to a start menu.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for something like this?

I've been using portable firefox exclusively for over a year now. It is a olittle slower to start up than it might on an internal HD, but I'm still perfectly happy with the performance.

Ehtyar.