ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

PerfectDisk 10 @ -20%

<< < (2/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I haven't used DK in a while so I don't know what the current version is like but I like PD's ability to organise data much better than DK and also when I swapped I found it much better at doing a complete defrag than DK.

MerleOne:
... I personnaly don't use PD any longer, I have switched to PuranDefrag V6 which better suits my needs, but there must be some hard-core PD fans here and there... :D
-MerleOne (January 28, 2009, 06:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

MerleOne, would you mind telling us why you switched and like Puran better? The feature set seems to be largely similar to me.

Thanks, Ken
-KenR (January 28, 2009, 07:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, that's a long story.  For one, I was not happy with PD having some task always running on in background.  Not the case with Puran when you don't activate auto-defrag.  I find Puran to be much faster to defrag & optimize, I find the optimized disk to run as fast or faster than when defragged with PD.  Boot Time Defrag is also working fine.

Folders are placed at the beginning of the partition, which makes more sense than PD solution (at the end of all files).

One thing I am missing from PD : the offline defrag without reboot for non locked disks.  AFAIK, this is rather unique.

Also :
- Re-defrag is often quicker with Puran than with PD. 
- You can chose not to optimize file placement, just folder placement, which is enough for partition that contain only data (in most cases).

Like Carol, I stayed with PD version 6 since I found next version had too few improvements. I did try RXSuite, which was a cut-down version of PD, packed with other uninteresting tools, just a "marketing gone wild" product, and Raxco was suddenly less attractive.  Funnily enough, Puran Defrag, which I discovered through Donn Edwards Blog and his "Defrag shootout", is now also in version 6. 

There is still  room for improvement with Puran, like the possibilty to exclude files from a size criteria (like in SmartDefrag from IObit), it's certainly less polished, but I just say this : try it on your system - after a full image backup of course  ;)

Darwin:
@Carol - thanks for the summary of v.10 - I’ve just put in my request for the upgrade (have a current maintenance agreement with Raxco). Not sure I should bother installing it, though, as I run PD on an XP box...

@Ken - I run DK Pro Premier on my Vista machine and it is seamless and I forget that it’s there. Invisible. However, I can’t properly offer up a comparison of the two products because I’ve not tried running PerfectDisk on that machine. Perhaps when I receive my PD 10 license I’ll install it there and compare them... Everything works just fine as is now, so not sure I want to tempt fate!

tinjaw:
I purchased a maintenance agreement late Feb of 2008 for PD. I just checked my email spam folders and there is no notice from Raxco. I'll hop over there tonight and grab PD 10.

I purchased a new 320GB 7200 RPM HDD and am moving from XP to Vista on my (development) laptop. Grabbing new versions of (possibly) TrueImage and PerfectDisk should help with the changeover.

Darwin:
Heh, heh - I upgraded a 5400 rpm drive to a 320GB 7200rpm unit in my laptop a couple of weeks ago - awesome! Have fun, tinjaw  :Thmbsup:

PS I've gone through the same process re: PD upgrade - despite my maintenance agreement I have not received anything from Raxco other than a notification of the 20% off offer. Odd as when PD 2009 came out as a maintenance agreement holder they sent me a link to it a week or two in advance of its release. I've contacted support for a serial number but haven't had a reply, yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version