ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone have any tips for how to create a great custom search engine?

<< < (4/4)

Lonestar75:
Pretty sure the underscore issue has been fixed with Firefox.  Let me know if it is working correctly.

Paul Keith:
Well, I don't really know what goes into the algorithm of a search engine but it seems you guys have a better grasp at the search results than both Google Custom Search and Rollyo so I think getting up to par with their features are the stuff I would suggest but again, I'm only saying this not because it's what I need but because they are the differences I noticed.

What Google Custom Search has when I tried it:
=Embed to another site like a blog
=Wildcards (though I'm not satisfied with the end result as a search engine but it does allow for more sites to be chained together)
=Google Marker which allows you to add any site you're on automatically to your custom search.
=Multiple Search Engines

What Rollyo has when I tried it:
=Multiple Search Engines both public and private
=Ability to add a search engine someone else made to your collection
=Still more search sites allowed
=Shows the current engines on the right side for when you want to narrow it down.
=Shows what engine the searches are using on a hover pop-up area

Personally I think you have something here in that you're actually providing the Google of custom search sites. Very simple. Very fast. Easily understandable.

I think speed and stability would be my suggestion-list if I were speaking from a non-marketing point of view. Right now IMO you have enough features that can satisfy a user if the service was just a bit more stable.

Then it'd be easier to suggest features because the core service is working. Also technology hasn't progressed far enough right now it seems to add stuff like categories and other stuff to completely mimic Google so it's really how much these services mature. Right now though at least a stable service would probably attract loyal users of the service.

Edit: Yup, the bug seems to have been fixed. Thanks for the quick feedback and fix.

Lonestar75:
Beta 2 will bring much more stablity to BuildaSearch.  The new search backbone is already in place, but not accessible to the public as of yet. Custom search engines will be allowed greater customization. Our main focus is to allow anyone to build a custom search in minutes instead of hours and without having to write a single line of code, all while providing a great search service.  You can embed BuildaSearch to a blog or any site.  example here: http://www.buyandselljeans.com

I greatly appreciate your feedback! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version